Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Grand Theft Auto V

Thumb

Okay. Been wanting this forever, and it was supposed to be ready for Windows PC and the next gen consoles [XBOX ONE, PS4] by Sept. 1st.

Now it's been pushed back to at least January 2015.

The issue is I don't want to start playing a dead game, or a game where everyone in the world has massive advantages (once the new version is out, PS3 and XBOX 360 players can transfer their accounts to PC/Xbox One/PS4). So the question is, is it worth buying a PS3 (I don't care much for consoles) playing the game for 4-5 months, then transferring to PC (after buying the game again) and selling the PS3 on eBay?

Does anyone here own GTA V or have played it? The recent announcement of delays (plus no mention yet of pc system requirements) has driven me a little insane.

I haven't played but I suspect quite a few new players are waiting for the PS4 version .. ones that haven't played the game yet. But just like an MMO, not starting on day one will be a disadvantage against some.

THE PS3 you can get on eBay as little as 30 bucks so I think it's worth the investment.

I haven't played but I suspect quite a few new players are waiting for the PS4 version .. ones that haven't played the game yet. But just like an MMO, not starting on day one will be a disadvantage against some.

THE PS3 you can get on eBay as little as 30 bucks so I think it's worth the investment.

But the problem with a used console you don't know if it's been banned. I had a friend who bought an XBOX 360 off ebay to replace his that got the RROD, and it turned out it was a banned machine because of hacks/modding I guess.

Also, even for only $30, I don't know that I trust used machines, especially after reading how many people have had issues with PS3's like the drive going bad, freezing/restarting issues, etc.

That's true. New you're probably talking 150$ or more. Not sure where you can sell it to get good money for it..for 4-5 months. It depends, you have money to burn - buy it. Or if you plan using it for other things..you could probably get some cheap games on the ps3.

Now if you're on a budget, like me, I'd hold off. 150$ seems like a lot after the console has been out 7 years.

Mitch, I have looked and cannot find any PS3 new for under $199.99

But if I bought the bundle, I'm sure I could turn around and sell it for at least half my initial cost. If nothing else right back to Game Stop and then could get the PC version when it's out at 0 cost, plus a little store credit.

Technically, I'd rather buy a 360 since I'm used to that controller (I have 2 for my PC) but it would be stupid to pay for XBOX Live just so I could play online, where Sony lets you do it for free.

Either way looks like I'm just waiting again. I have been listening to people go on about how great of a game it is, especially the online part, and hate that I have to wait over a year (since launch) to get a version for PC.

I don't think you would get good value back for the PS3 if you bought it new, it might be better to take a chance on a used one, since in the next 4-5 months down the road the PS3 will have even less value for selling with the primary focus being directed to PS4, although I don't think the PS3 is that close to being a 'dead' console. I'd keep the PS3 if you bought it new, since you'd at least have a BluRay player (X Box360 does not), so graphic improvements in games released for the PS3 are possible, not so much with the XB360. There's also the apps, free PSN, and there's a good library of games now that it's been out for so long now.

I think there will still be a good amount of demand for PS3 for at least the next 2 years, like it was with PS2 when the PS3 came out.

Many gamers cannot afford to shell out $400-500 for a next gen console, so I figure if I pay roughly $260 for a 500 GB latest version PS3, I should be able to get $100 out of it at least. But it would not make sense for me to keep it because I won't buy games for it. I just don't care for consoles much anymore, I do 99% of my gaming on a PC, and if Rockstar would just get off their asses, this would all be moot.

As far as the 360, I expect Microsoft will pull support for it within the next year, like they did with the original Xbox, in order to keep their side of the market share focused on the Xbox One. The blueray part is really irrelevant to me, since I don't rent movies, just stream, and my pc has a BR drive anyways.

Last edited:
Mitch, I have looked and cannot find any PS3 new for under $199.99

But if I bought the bundle, I'm sure I could turn around and sell it for at least half my initial cost. If nothing else right back to Game Stop and then could get the PC version when it's out at 0 cost, plus a little store credit.

Technically, I'd rather buy a 360 since I'm used to that controller (I have 2 for my PC) but it would be stupid to pay for XBOX Live just so I could play online, where Sony lets you do it for free.

Either way looks like I'm just waiting again. I have been listening to people go on about how great of a game it is, especially the online part, and hate that I have to wait over a year (since launch) to get a version for PC.

I saw one online at game stop earlier for 150. Only 16gb but for your purposes it'd work but still way too much for a few months.

I bought and played it the day it came out. Got both the PS3 and PS4..it was a really good game. It seems like it has been 2 years since I have played it.

You do not know anyone who owns a PS3? Try to borrow it for a week or something and go buy the game or borrow that too.

I saw one online at game stop earlier for 150. Only 16gb but for your purposes it'd work but still way too much for a few months.

Mitch, I believe the game itself needs like 20 GB of disk space.

I bought and played it the day it came out. Got both the PS3 and PS4..it was a really good game. It seems like it has been 2 years since I have played it.

You do not know anyone who owns a PS3? Try to borrow it for a week or something and go buy the game or borrow that too.

What good would borrowing it do? I know how the game is, I want it to play, not to try.

My reasoning for possibly doing the PS3 thing is so I can play for 4 months before transferring the account to PC. The PC version (as well as Xbox One and PS4) will have farther draw distances, better textures, higher resolutions, and the big thing is, open lobbies up to 64 players, rather than 12 or whatever it is now.

Not to hijack... If you end up getting a PS3 buy The Last of Us, too.

You're not hijacking at all, but if I do buy a PS3 I won't buy any other games. I simply don't care for gaming on a console. I prefer my PC setup, to sitting in my living room on the couch playing games from 10 feet away.

I actually have a friend who's brother wants to sell me his 160 GB slim PS3 plus all his games for $150, because he wants to buy a PS4. The problem is that seems a little too steep to pay for the console and I don't care about the extra games, many of which are just different seasons of Madden and NBA Live, and several Call of Duty titles I already played on PC.

Who knows, I might just end up waiting to see if I need to upgrade my graphics card, and use the money on that rather than a PS3.

Um, you can play a console game sitting on the couch 10 feet away. On a side note I was always a huge PC guy..it had to be on the PC. I currently have a killer PC now and some games are still better on the PC.

That being said I moved into the console somewhat recently, PS3 was my first console about 5 years ago and some games I love you can't play on the PC. Best of both worlds..

Looks like all the rumors are false. GTA V will be coming to PC after all, and while not official, November 14-18 are some of the release dates retailers have listed. NewEgg just started offering pre-orders for November 18th.

So yeah, fuck all that PS3 noise. Game will be best on PC by miles anyways.

I have never jumped on the GTA bandwagon. For me, there was a problem of just getting too lost with objectives and not actually staying on point. I used to be the king of side quests, enjoying the scenery, etc... At my advanced age of 28, I want to get through the game, do the occasional extra work, and play a new one. Beating up hookers and stealing cop cars just wore thin for me after the first couple that I played.

I absolutely loved Skyrim, but beat it in about 65 hours, whereas others have played it for close to 500.

Well for me this GTA is unlike all the others. The story plot is far more in depth and well scripted, plus I love doing the collection missions. But by far what I have been wanting is the online part. Your own character, your own houses, nearly unlimited choice of vehicles, from BMX bikes, to crotch rockets, super cars, tanks, planes, choppers, submarines, they really made the choices far reaching. Plus it's a constantly evolving game as they continue to release new contest.

I had the first one years ago, way too violent. I just got in a car and drive around all day..haven't owned one since. Something about smashing a bat on an innocent..rubs me the wrong way. Maybe the game has changed..

Last edited:
I had the first one years ago, way too violent. I just got in a car and drive around all day..haven't owned one since. Something about smashing a bat on an innocent..rubs me the wrong way. Maybe the game has changed..

It really hasn't in terms of graphic violence. But the story behind it makes it seem like a hollywood action movie. Most the the people you have to kill/maim are far from innocents. Of course the player can choose to be worse than necessary, but that's personal choice.

Back