Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Maywether v McGregor

Maywether vs McGregor

• Did you bet this fight?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Are you going to watch this fight?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glad I didn't pay for it. . Man what a payday day those two clowns.

Last edited:
He has stood up to arguably the best pound for pound fighter in boxing history.

Obviously he can box.

He just can't box well enough to beat Mayweather, and he would probably fair worse against the championship contenders that Mayweather has beaten because they're more aggressive.

That doesn't mean he can't box.

He can't box. I never said he wasn't an athlete but he can't box. Just like Maywether can't MMA fight.

Thanks Mitch. Looks like a person can only select one, I guess I didn't really think it through. It's actually more of a survey than a poll.

I didn't bet on it and I'm not going to watch it. Usually during big fights ESPN covers each round at the end of the round. Maybe I'll tune in to that. I think Mayweather will probably land enough punches to score a TKO in the eighth or ninth round. If I have to pick one of the two I'll say nine.

Damn.

I predicted a ninth round TKO; the TKO happened a few seconds later at the beginning of the 10th.

I did not hear a single prediction that was closer than mine.

He can't box. I never said he wasn't an athlete but he can't box. Just like Maywether can't MMA fight.

Obviously he can box. He just can't box at the top level of his weight class. Almost nobody else can either.

I would say if he devoted his attention to boxing he would be rank about 100-75 as a junior middleweight professional.

He's still young enough to pursue a professional boxing career if he wants to, but probably his better business decision would be to stick with MMA.

I predicted almost exactly what would happen in this fight; none of the other so-called experts were anywhere close.

What makes you think you know more about who is the boxer and who isn't a boxer than I do?

Obviously he can box. He just can't box at the top level of his weight class. Almost nobody else can either.

I would say if he devoted his attention to boxing he would be rank about 100-75 as a junior middleweight professional.

That's where he would rank right now I should say. If he devoted his attention to boxing he could move substantially higher.

Last edited:
First McGregor fight I didn't pay for since he entered the UFC. Wasn't because I thought it was a stupid fight, I'm just not shelling out 90 bucks. That's insane.

Watched a free stream, was actually entertaining. Not worth $90 but fun. Fight went almost exactly like most people said it would. Floyd has stamina for days, played the game well. Conor actually countered a few Floyd shots early, didn't see that coming.

He's still young enough to pursue a professional boxing career if he wants to, but probably his better business decision would be to stick with MMA.

I predicted almost exactly what would happen in this fight; none of the other so-called experts were anywhere close.

What makes you think you know more about who is the boxer and who isn't a boxer than I do?

I'm sure I don't. But I heard experts say he can't box. Many of them. Just because he can do one thing well doesn't mean he can do something else well. Floyd might be a great fighter but he was 40, and retired 2 years.

We all know this was a publicity stunt, treat it like one.

I'm sure I don't. But I heard experts say he can't box. Many of them. Just because he can do one thing well doesn't mean he can do something else well. Floyd might be a great fighter but he was 40, and retired 2 years.

We all know this was a publicity stunt, treat it like one.

"He's going to knock out Mayweather within four rounds just like he claims."

"He can't box."

So we saw what happened and what happened was between these two extremes.

As far is this being a publicity stunt… Isn't every sporting event a publicity stunt? Isn't everything in entertainment a publicity stunt?

Nobody needs any of these things to live. They're all competing for our entertainment bucks through promotion and publicity.

Treat them all like what they are.

Last edited:
"He's going to knock out Mayweather within four rounds just like he claims."

"He can't box."

So we saw what happened and what happened was between these two extremes.

As far is this being a publicity stunt? Isn't every sporting event a publicity stunt? Isn't everything in entertainment a publicity stunt?

Nobody needs any of these things to live. They're all competing for our entertainment bucks through promotion and publicity.

Treat them all like what they are.

We know Floyd doesn't go all out right away.. Stays away, defense, let the other guy tire himself out. He's smart.

I didn't realize putting your dukes up means he can box. I stand corrected.

We know Floyd doesn't go all out right away.. Stays away, defense, let the other guy tire himself out. He's smart.

I didn't realize putting your dukes up means he can box. I stand corrected.

So are you saying all McGregor did was put his duke up?

Because if that's true I must've been hallucinating in the clips that I saw because he did a lot more than that.

Where is your line between can box and can't box?

He has stood up to arguably the best pound for pound fighter in boxing history.

Not really much of an argument to be made for this.

Ali, Robinson, Louis, and many others were much better fighters, went toe to toe with their opponents, and didn't run around on defense for the majority of the fights.

Not that anyone cares what ESPN thinks, but they only rank him 48th all time...

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest4150

Personally, I'd rank Tyson higher than him

So are you saying all McGregor did was put his duke up?

Because if that's true I must've been hallucinating in the clips that I saw because he did a lot more than that.

Where is your line between can box and can't box?

For example, I can box - but yet I can't. I guess that's my line. In one of the old Rocky movies there was a line "You carried the bum for 5 rounds." or something similar. One was 40, retired 2 years - the other 29.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones won 6 matches. Doesn't make him a boxer.

I bet on it and watched it. I don't know anything about boxing or MMA but I thought it was an entertaining fight. I thought Conner landed some pretty decent punches in the first 8 rounds.

For example, I can box - but yet I can't. I guess that's my line. In one of the old Rocky movies there was a line "You carried the bum for 5 rounds." or something similar. One was 40, retired 2 years - the other 29.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones won 6 matches. Doesn't make him a boxer.

Of course he was a boxer. He just wasn't a very good one.

Everyone who puts on the gear and steps in the ring and risks getting punched is a boxer, except maybe for celebrities who have never trained at all and get in the ring together for some kind of charity event.

Obviously there are different levels, and nobody is going to be allowed to get up into the ring the first day they walk into a boxing gym. Everybody is going to have to train for A while and learn the basics and demonstrate they have some basic ability to defend themselves. Then they're going to start with sparring against experienced opponents who are skilled enough not to hurt the newbie and also not to get hurt by the newbie.

Then as a person gets more experience in sparring, they'll get matched up against sparring opponents of generally equal skills.

Then, after a point in time, if a person decides they want to go to the next level and fight real bouts, they'll go through the process of registering with a boxing Association-I was with United States amateur boxing, Inc.-and try to get a real bout.

Once you've done all that and you step into the ring, you can box. Are you a professional world champion? Of course not.

Amateur tennis players can play tennis. Are any of them Roger Federer? Of course not.

Of course he was a boxer. He just wasn't a very good one.

Everyone who puts on the gear and steps in the ring and risks getting punched is a boxer, except maybe for celebrities who have never trained at all and get in the ring together for some kind of charity event.

Obviously there are different levels, and nobody is going to be allowed to get up into the ring the first day they walk into a boxing gym. Everybody is going to have to train for A while and learn the basics and demonstrate they have some basic ability to defend themselves. Then they're going to start with sparring against experienced opponents who are skilled enough not to hurt the newbie and also not to get hurt by the newbie.

Then as a person gets more experience in sparring, they'll get matched up against sparring opponents of generally equal skills.

Then, after a point in time, if a person decides they want to go to the next level and fight real bouts, they'll go through the process of registering with a boxing Association-I was with United States amateur boxing, Inc.-and try to get a real bout.

Once you've done all that and you step into the ring, you can box. Are you a professional world champion? Of course not.

Amateur tennis players can play tennis. Are any of them Roger Federer? Of course not.

I guess that's where we differ.

Not really much of an argument to be made for this.

Ali, Robinson, Louis, and many others were much better fighters, went toe to toe with their opponents, and didn't run around on defense for the majority of the fights.

Not that anyone cares what ESPN thinks, but they only rank him 48th all time...

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest4150

Personally, I'd rank Tyson higher than him

Well Mayweather and likes to make the argument anyway.

A lot of people-including me-I think that Mayweather's style makes for fairly boring fights. I don't know that that necessarily Dlegitimizes of him.

Both Ali and sugar Ray Robinson were primarily known for their elusiveness and speed more than toe toe punching power.

Late in his career, Ali fought a fairly similar style to Mayweather's.

And the all-time greatest in anything is always a matter of one's opinion and also of the style they prefer.

I guess that's where we differ.

Well we also differ in as much as you haven'y actually explained your opinion. I asked you where you drew the line between "can box and can't box" and your answer was "for example I can box but yet I can't" and then you referred to an obscure quote from some Rocky movie and something about Ed too tall Jones.

Last edited:
Some sites have posted some statistics comparing McGregor's performance vs previous performances vs Mayweather. Strictly by punch numbers, he did better than many other professional boxers including Pac Man.

Well we also differ in as much as you haven'y actually explained your opinion. I asked you where you drew the line between "can box and can't box" and your answer was "for example I can box but yet I can't" and then you referred to an obscure quote from some Rocky movie and something about Ed too tall Jones.

Meaning I don't believe he could beat any pro boxers, now. Maybe with training sure. If a lesser fighter fought him who was more aggressive I don't believe he last as long. I think he looks the part more than actually doing the part.. Just because you disagree doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Back