Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Are they for real?

food4thought

Is this record a true reflection of this team's talent, or is it a mirage?

Are they going to win 50 games? Less or more?

10-3 right now after the win at home against Miami. But we're about to find out. Apparently whoever does the NBA schedule hates the Pistons. 9 of our next 11 are on the road and then we come home and get to play Golden State and Boston.

I'm not saying they're going to win the East but if you still don't think this team is 'for real' then you are jaded by past seasons or just aren't paying attention.

Being jaded by previous seasons isn't exactly unreasonable, especially since most of the same players are here. But that said, this is clearly a better team. They've improved on the things most in their control (shot selection, defense, Drummond's free throws). They play more like a modern team, and they appear to actually be prepared for their opponents (there were times last year that you wondered if they even had scouting reports).

The NBA is one of the most predicable leagues in all of sport. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe articles show that it only takes about 25 games to know how good any team is. We're more than halfway there.

Of course, there is some overachieving going on as well. Harris isn't going to hit 50% of his threes all year. The team probably isn't going to stay top 10 in offensive efficiency. We aren't going to stay on a 60-win pace with a +5.3 scoring margin. But even if we come back down a bit, much of this improvement is sustainable. Even if we end up more in the +4 than +5 range, that's generally good enough for 50 wins in the East, and the chance to battle for a top 3 seed. Other than Cleveland, who always plays soft in the regular season, and Boston, there isn't a team that I'd say is definitely better than us.

Being jaded by previous seasons isn't exactly unreasonable, especially since most of the same players are here.

It absolutely isn't unreasonable. Nobody outside of the Pistons organization expected this.

Of course, there is some overachieving going on as well. Harris isn't going to hit 50% of his threes all year.

On the other hand, 538 did piece that showed the Pistons have actually been unlucky on defense with the amount of jump shots going in against them. Looking forward to next week when Golden State looks for revenge.

Last edited:
depends what you mean by "for real". Are they better than most thought they would be...yes. Do they have a chance to make the playoffs in the east...yes. Do they have a chance to win the east...not likely. Do they have a chance in hell to win the NBA championship...no

Last edited:
Why? Why don't they have a chance to win the East?

It would be a travesty if they didn't play the playoffs in this conference.

Last edited:
Cleveland or Boston will win the East. You can pretty much lock that in stone. Lebron has been to like a million straight NBA Finals. This is the NBA not the NHL where upstart lower seeds can make deep runs.

It's been a nice start for sure, but they're also beating up on the scrap pile that is the eastern conference. The 5 teams they just swept on their homestand (Bucks, pacers, Kings, Hawks, Heat) are a combined 23-41. It's awesome that we're finally beating the teams we should beat, but they have a long way to go to prove they are true contenders.

You can? What have you seen from this season that locks "in stone" Cleveland winning the East? That cast around him looks ancient and not capable of doing much. Times change man. Players get older, dynasties reset, etc... Just because he's been to a million straight doesn't mean they are destined to go again and again.

Don't sell their winning short. They went on the road and beat the Clippers, who were 4-0 at the time, the Warriors, and a lot of people's sheek pick to be a power, the T-Wolves.

I'm not saying they are locks to win the East or the NBA championship. But man, they look like they have figured a lot of stuff out. And this conference does nothing to impress me, so to say they don't have a shot to come out is short-sighted.

Last edited:
It's November...the Cavs will figure things out. They're clearly adjusting to some new players and new roles. Way too premature to just dismiss Lebron and company. And I said it was a lock it will be Cleveland OR Boston. Boston's looked awesome.

I don't have to have seen anything from this particular season to know it will be one of those two teams. I've been watching the NBA for years lol. It's how the league works. I believe more than 80% of the teams that have ever made the NBA Finals have been seeded 1 or 2. It's a predictable league.

Last edited:
Well, the players they are adjusting to are old. Jeff Green has been a journeyman. He's a solid player, but nothing more.

Wade is done.

Rose won't last the season, and he's not really that good anymore.

So I'm not sure what they are adjusting to that would suddenly turn them into an elite team.

I've been watching it my whole life. Teams like Cleveland can only maintain for so long. Times change, other teams step up and the whole thing cycles again. I don't like the team they've assembled. It's just not very talented outside of LeBron, and I don't know if he has the energy to carry this mismatched cast to the finals.

Well, the players they are adjusting to are old. Jeff Green has been a journeyman. He's a solid player, but nothing more.

Wade is done.

Rose won't last the season, and he's not really that good anymore.

So I'm not sure what they are adjusting to that would suddenly turn them into an elite team.

I've been watching it my whole life. Teams like Cleveland can only maintain for so long. Times change, other teams step up and the whole thing cycles again. I don't like the team they've assembled. It's just not very talented outside of LeBron, and I don't know if he has the energy to carry this mismatched cast to the finals.

Would love it if Cleveland struggles all year, but I think that's just wishful thinking. I think you're being too dismissive just because of a slow start. The East is just that bad, that they should be near the top of the standings come April. Love him or hate him Lebron is amazing at what he does.

You're also ignoring Boston in this conversation lol. They are an even bigger reason why the Pistons ceiling is probably the 2nd or possibly 3rd round of the playoffs.

This is not to dismiss what the Pistons are doing. I'm happy they're winning again, but the league is catered to stars and star teams. Again over 80% of NBA Finals teams are seeded 1 or 2. Will the Pistons be a top 2 seed at the end of the year? It's possible, just unlikely.

Last edited:
I didn't say they would struggle all year. I just don't think they have the horses to win the conference this year. Their team just isn't that good outside of LeBron. Teams like Detroit and Pistons, with pretty deep benches, would be a nightmare for them.

I like Boston. They also have a lot of new components, so we'll see if they can maintain things at this clip.

Perhaps. Still too early to really gauge where all these teams will be come springtime, including the Pistons.

I didn't say they would struggle all year. I just don't think they have the horses to win the conference this year. Their team just isn't that good outside of LeBron. Teams like Detroit and Pistons, with pretty deep benches, would be a nightmare for them.

I like Boston. They also have a lot of new components, so we'll see if they can maintain things at this clip.

The playoffs are different. The benches don't come into play as much. The Pistons are playing really good but I don't think they have the horses to get past Lebron or Boston. Hopefully we'll get to find out.

If they can get a top 4 seed for the playoffs it would be huge. And I'd be happy about that. Nonetheless, real or not - the team is better.

It all depends on how banged up Boston is in the spring. They are holding thier own with a really banged up team. Have to see if they can hold up and or get healthy by playoff time. Who knows maybe this is a 2004 season and we shock the world !!!!

It all depends on how banged up Boston is in the spring. They are holding thier own with a really banged up team. Have to see if they can hold up and or get healthy by playoff time. Who knows maybe this is a 2004 season and we shock the world !!!!

2004 wasn't all that shocking. We had steadily improved in 2002 (50 win season), and in 2003 (lost in ECF to Nets). Adding Rasheed in 2004 put them over the top.

If we're drawing comparisons perhaps this season can be more like the 2002 campaign when we finally became legitimate and fun to watch again.

Last edited:
5th in the latest ESPN power rankings

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ings-our-expert-panel-unveils-rankings-week-5

I think that?s going a bit overboard this early, still have to give the preseason on-paper favorites the benefit of the doubt. If the Pistons are still winnng this much after the quarter or third mark, then I?ll buy into a ranking that high.

I think they were 4th last week. I generally don't care much about the power rankings.. They seem at times not to make much sense.

Back