Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Talking heads did it again RE:Joke/Harbaugh

hungry

Was watching the talking heads again. They were discussing how Hoke was a great recruiter that just couldn't develop all of the talent that he brought in.

Then they went on to say how all of Hoke's players are gone now and that Harbaugh is coaching his players now and we're seeing how he is doing now that his own players are playing...

wtf?!?!? and people think I'm making this shit up!

Part of it is that Harbaugh was hired so late...that tiny class ranked 50 in the nation counts as his first class. People say he's been here 3 years now, but that first class isn't representative of what we should be able to get.

Part of it is that Harbaugh was hired so late...that tiny class ranked 50 in the nation counts as his first class. People say he's been here 3 years now, but that first class isn't representative of what we should be able to get.

Which is why there are freshmen and sophomores all over the 2deep and barely any juniors, seniors, or 5th year seniors.

The leading rusher, wide receiver, TE and starting safety are all from that class. My guess is Grant Newsome would have been starting if not for his terrible injury.

The leading rusher, wide receiver, TE and starting safety are all from that class. My guess is Grant Newsome would have been starting if not for his terrible injury.

That class is a hybrid class of Hoke and Harbaugh. I admit I'm not certain who was added after Harbaugh was hired and who was already in the class.

Congratulations, you pretty much found the only 4 juniors that contribute at all.

Zach Gentry? He was a QB. Wheatley is there, too, in that class.

The leading rusher is Higdon, but Evans is a sophomore and he's right there. Isaacs is a transfer from USC, of course. Walker is a 2nd year player.

Leading receiver is Grant Perry, I guess. He wouldn't be if Black wasn't injured. I'd say Black and DPJ are the 2 best receivers and they are both true freshmen. Grant Perry is a junior and might have the most yards, but he isn't even a starter.

Grant Newsome would be in there.

Note that I didn't say there weren't any juniors, i just said that there were freshmen and sophomores all over the 2deep. There are way more freshmen and sophomores playing regularly than juniors, seniors, or 5th year players.

Last edited:
I know this is just gonna bounce right off you coming from a fan from another team, but it’s not like other teams in the big ten don’t also have freshmen and sophomores starting and winning?

I know this is just gonna bounce right off you coming from a fan from another team, but it’s not like other teams in the big ten don’t also have freshmen and sophomores starting and winning?

Don't really know what you're point is. That isn't even what I'm talking about. Besides, Harbaugh is winning. I see an 8 there in the W column. Sure, he isn't doing as well as a lot of people want him to do or expect him to do, but he is winning. IF 8 is his lowpoint, I'll take that. You can say, "Well, he isn't beating any good teams," but I'll say that he is still doing better than RR and Hoke did.

No wonder you missed the point. The point is about this constant narrative about how great Hoke recruited, which is completely untrue.

This team is hardly indicative of how Harbaugh will do with a roster full of 5 years of recruits, but the talking heads are trying to sell it as that with this narrative.

Last edited:
I know this is just gonna bounce right off you coming from a fan from another team, but it?s not like other teams in the big ten don?t also have freshmen and sophomores starting and winning?

That's not going to bounce because you're a fan of another team. It's going to bounce because it's not relevant to the discussion. We're talking about a specific argument the talking heads are making about Michigan and not other Big Ten teams.

Maybe make this point in a thread where we're complaining about our team struggling and point a finger at our youth. It will still be a stupid point, but at least it will look like you read the posts you are responding to.

That class is a hybrid class of Hoke and Harbaugh. I admit I'm not certain who was added after Harbaugh was hired and who was already in the class.

Congratulations, you pretty much found the only 4 juniors that contribute at all.

Zach Gentry? He was a QB. Wheatley is there, too, in that class.

The leading rusher is Higdon, but Evans is a sophomore and he's right there. Isaacs is a transfer from USC, of course. Walker is a 2nd year player.

Leading receiver is Grant Perry, I guess. He wouldn't be if Black wasn't injured. I'd say Black and DPJ are the 2 best receivers and they are both true freshmen. Grant Perry is a junior and might have the most yards, but he isn't even a starter.

Grant Newsome would be in there.

Note that I didn't say there weren't any juniors, i just said that there were freshmen and sophomores all over the 2deep. There are way more freshmen and sophomores playing regularly than juniors, seniors, or 5th year players.

don't you think that's a result of the size of the 2015 class compared to 2016 & 2017? 2015 only had 14. 2016 & 2017 had a total of 58. I don't know if the 2015 class was small because they didn't have room or if JH just couldn't fill it...my guess is they just didn't have that many scholarships to hand out.

If he dosnt develop a line and find a qb to win the job 2 and 3 losses each year may be the norm. Again we only had Wilton last season who is above avg and lost 3 close games in which a great qb does not lose. I guess we have to hope McCaffrey is the guy . I think the line will be better next year.
It would also help finding a RB that can stay healthy . All teams deal with injuries but losing your top WR and Qb set this team back this year . Team had other RB that could replace Higdon. Maybe choosing Peters over Wilton may have helped .. Plenty of time to right the ship !!!!

My bad, I misunderstood the point. I wasn’t aware of this Hoke recruiting love on a national level.

don't you think that's a result of the size of the 2015 class compared to 2016 & 2017? 2015 only had 14. 2016 & 2017 had a total of 58. I don't know if the 2015 class was small because they didn't have room or if JH just couldn't fill it...my guess is they just didn't have that many scholarships to hand out.

They had plenty of open scholarships. Harbaugh had a month to recruit for that class. IF Hoke were such a great recruiter, that class would've been already filled up.

IF i was trying to make excuses for why JH isn't doing as well this year as many think he should, I'd point out that I think there is a big difference between having a few freshmen and sophomores, or even some freshmen and sophomores and having most of your 2 deep be freshmen and sophomores, but I'm not really talking about that.

If he dosnt develop a line and find a qb to win the job 2 and 3 losses each year may be the norm. Again we only had Wilton last season who is above avg and lost 3 close games in which a great qb does not lose. I guess we have to hope McCaffrey is the guy . I think the line will be better next year.
It would also help finding a RB that can stay healthy . All teams deal with injuries but losing your top WR and Qb set this team back this year . Team had other RB that could replace Higdon. Maybe choosing Peters over Wilton may have helped .. Plenty of time to right the ship !!!!

Good point, Bob, about the QB situation. Obviously this is not ideal and certainly not indicative of how Harbaugh will do with his own players in there. He started the season with a very sub-par Hoke recruit. That guy got hurt. Then people outside the program might say, "Well, what's the problem, you have a 5th year guy there to take over.." JOK should not be getting any minutes on a team that would have Harbaugh's own players in there. Then you have Peters, who is not an ideal starter for this team.

They had plenty of open scholarships. Harbaugh had a month to recruit for that class. IF Hoke were such a great recruiter, that class would've been already filled up.

I did a quick google search and it appears that this isn't true.

http://www.maizeandbluenews.com/ind...ent-though-2017&catid=21:recruiting&Itemid=96

From the article

It?s been an interesting first four months of roster developments since Harbaugh first took over as the head coach at Michigan. He initially had only 13 scholarships to give for the 2015 recruiting class, but ended up signing 14 because of the attrition that occurred in the aftermath of his hiring.

I'm not sold on either offensive coordinator or defense coordinator. Tim has to be better. Some of our running sets are so predictable . Also Brown has to find a happy medium between blitzing and pulling back the reins a bit. Also his defense folded like a accordion when Peters went down. Maybe that is youth . Sometimes you have to gut out a win with your defense . Hopefully they learn from this year and get better for next sesson .

Last edited:

That too. We have a really unbalanced big/small class cycle you'd think would even out. I think it actually goes back to 2009 when we hit that point where we'd lost 58% of our defensive players. The losses were spread out over several classes, but they happened all in a couple years, so using back dating of players, we were able to sign a big class. It had to be followed by a small class. Then it somehow got worse (must have also had a ton of losses in 2012) and became a two year cycle. So 2016 and 2017 were huge. The 2017 class is just 1 shy of 2014 and 2015 combined!

XQaWx6g.jpg

Last edited:
I did a quick google search and it appears that this isn't true.

http://www.maizeandbluenews.com/ind...ent-though-2017&catid=21:recruiting&Itemid=96

From the article

It?s been an interesting first four months of roster developments since Harbaugh first took over as the head coach at Michigan. He initially had only 13 scholarships to give for the 2015 recruiting class, but ended up signing 14 because of the attrition that occurred in the aftermath of his hiring.

OK I stand corrected. Not sure what the point here is you're trying to make. The reason that this would be a small class would be, because the team was filled with totally awesome Hoke recruits, right?

This thread is why it's a topic. It's stupid, manufactured 'clickbait' style and relatively pointless....

But... all it takes is one troll from another fanbase to engage and away we go. 43 kids left the program to become productive members of society or to play on Sundays. The team is 8-3, hardly a Florida or Florida State. Unfortunately our coach is a lightning rod for the media and guys like Finebaum are borderline obsessed with the man and this type of crap will never go away.

Last edited:
Back