Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Oregon game

Like I said above, the o-line stinks - they were completely dominated in the second half put the load on the defense and cost us the game. but now we're gonna go out and run the ball against a bunch of crap B1G defenses and the johnny2x's of the world are going to talk about how great it is and how Oregon was just an anomaly.
It might be, we have a few new starters were breaking in and Connor Kruse will be back. Maybe this is a game we have a better chance in if it was week 7, who knows? Clark hasn't been impressive, Conklin is a stud, allen is solid, Jackson's health is a question mark and Kieler is only starting because of the Kruse injury. Hopefully we get healthy and play better

I'm guessing Bama was the last team to hang this much points on us? Just completely fell apart in the 3rd. The offense couldn't move the ball which kept our defense on the field way too long.
I think we're still hands down the best team in the Big Ten....which is almost as impressive as saying we're the best MAC team. God the Big Ten is awful!!

I'm guessing Bama was the last team to hang this much points on us? Just completely fell apart in the 3rd. The offense couldn't move the ball which kept our defense on the field way too long.
I think we're still hands down the best team in the Big Ten....which is almost as impressive as saying we're the best MAC team. God the Big Ten is awful!!
Yes Bama was the last to score that much but those were completely different football games. We were in this one and really had a good chance to win in the second half. We squandered a good chance by not being able to run in the 2nd half. Hats off to them for good defensive adjustments and simply out playing us. To quote Dennis green, they are who we thought they were

Yes Bama was the last to score that much but those were completely different football games. We were in this one and really had a good chance to win in the second half. We squandered a good chance by not being able to run in the 2nd half. Hats off to them for good defensive adjustments and simply out playing us. To quote Dennis green, they are who we thought they were

Why not abandon the run game? We put Cook in awful positions all night long. I think he played a damn good game except for the first INT. We go ourselves in 3rd and long constantly because of the inability to run on first down and Cook converted plenty of those. Why not just let him throw it all over the yard and see what happens? I know that that's not in our DNA, but I believe Cook is capable of carrying a team with no run game.

The secondary got destroyed, that was the biggest concern.

Why not abandon the run game? We put Cook in awful positions all night long. I think he played a damn good game except for the first INT. We go ourselves in 3rd and long constantly because of the inability to run on first down and Cook converted plenty of those. Why not just let him throw it all over the yard and see what happens? I know that that's not in our DNA, but I believe Cook is capable of carrying a team with no run game.

We can't keep doing the same think with awful results. Langford gained 14 yards on 9 carries in the 2nd half. Our biggest run was the sweep by shelton

We can't keep doing the same think with awful results. Langford gained 14 yards on 9 carries in the 2nd half. Our biggest run was the sweep by shelton

We dont run enough sweeps with our backs, pull some guards and try something other than running up the middle 80 % of the time. Maybe 1 flee flicker to Lippett a game. I liked our first half calls, the 2nd half looked like old MSU play calls.

Last edited:

You can't abandon the run. The threat of the run is what makes throwing on 1st down a possibility against a backfield like Oregon's. Unfortunately our line and a tailback like Langford aren't enough to keep a good defense on their toes. After they made their halftime adjustments our receivers weren't getting open and we just got dominated up front. Play calling was pretty vanilla and predictable as well. Sprinkle in a couple bad calls and turnovers and it got downright ugly.

Last edited:
You can't abandon the run. The threat of the run is what makes throwing on 1st down a possibility against a backfield like Oregon's. Unfortunately our line and a tailback like Langford aren't enough to keep a good defense on their toes. After they made their halftime adjustments our receivers weren't getting open and we just got dominated up front. Play calling was pretty vanilla and predictable as well. Sprinkle in a couple bad calls and turnovers and it got downright ugly.

tough line to walk, yes you can't abandon the run as part of your gameplan but when it's late and you're not moving the ball and you might only get 2 or 3 more series with the football. crazy to think we had the lead with less than 2 minutes left in the 3rd and then lose by 19 points

main reasons are

lack of running game late, preventing us from running the clock down, allowed oregon more possessions, allowed them to gas our defense

turnovers, the first pick gave them the ball across midfield, the second one was when we were in the red zone or close to it, both tipped balls i believe.

not wrapping mariota up on 3rd and 10, allowed him to pass for 17 yards and then get a TD later that drive

Lippett dropping a ball on 3rd and 8, we had to settle for a fg but that would have put us up 13 vs just 9

lots of things to lament in this loss. this wasn't just a cut and dry 19 point loss, we had the lead late and didn't execute. they were good but we have to be kicking ourselves right now

tough line to walk, yes you can't abandon the run as part of your gameplan but when it's late and you're not moving the ball and you might only get 2 or 3 more series with the football. crazy to think we had the lead with less than 2 minutes left in the 3rd and then lose by 19 points

main reasons are

lack of running game late, preventing us from running the clock down, allowed oregon more possessions, allowed them to gas our defense

turnovers, the first pick gave them the ball across midfield, the second one was when we were in the red zone or close to it, both tipped balls i believe.

not wrapping mariota up on 3rd and 10, allowed him to pass for 17 yards and then get a TD later that drive

Lippett dropping a ball on 3rd and 8, we had to settle for a fg but that would have put us up 13 vs just 9

lots of things to lament in this loss. this wasn't just a cut and dry 19 point loss, we had the lead late and didn't execute. they were good but we have to be kicking ourselves right now

it's not that tough. Obviously when you're down 2 scores and low on time, you have to throw the ball. But with the lead on the road, it's completely insane to abandon the run. If we lost that game throwing incompletes or interceptions and taking sacks w/ a 9 point lead, everyone would be screaming bloody murder. We have to be able to run the ball. Period.

Last edited:
Back