Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Jerry Van Dyke

Michchamp

Link:

Born and raised in Danville, Illi., Van Dyke started in stand-up before appearing on his brother's series in the early 1960s. He would make regular appearances on "The Judy Garland Show," "The Ed Sullivan Show" and other variety showcases, and was featured in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," and the John Wayne comedy "McLintock!"

He then starred in one of the most high-concept situation comedies ever: "My Mother the Car," in which his character's deceased mother is reincarnated as a 1928 Porter automobile. He followed up that short-lived show with another, "Accidental Family."

With scores of TV and movie appearances, Van Dyke scored his greatest success with the long-running ABC comedy "Coach," playing assistant coach Luther Van Dam opposite series star Craig T. Nelson.

Van Dyke earned four Emmy Award nominations for his role.​

Coach was his best role. That was a good show. They should re-boot it, for the 2010's... starring Jim Tressel and his sleazy recruiting hi-jinks in Jerry Van Dyke's role, with The Rock as Coach, always trying to stay oblivious.

Jerry Van Dyke purportedly turned down the role of Gilligan in Gilligan's Island to star in "My Mother the Car."

It bombed... but maybe it was actually good? Any of you old guys or TV junkies remember it?

Don't remember Mother in My Car. I believe it started the year I was born. I did like coach though and he was very good.

Rest in Peace.

I vaguely remember My Mother the Car. I was about five years old. It was cool as shit the way the mother talked through the car's radio. It's considered by most television historians as being one of the worst if not the worst TV shows of all time.

Jerry's kids were among the celebrity kids/celebrity's kids that my wife grew up going to school with at Cal Prep in Encino.

I remember that My Mother the Car show and even as a kid knew it wasn't that good. Never heard he turned down the Gilligan's Island show.
I remember Jerry Van Dyke more on his brother Dick's show. rip.

I remember My Mother The Car b/c the car was an old soft-top jalopy w/narrow whitewall tires. There were many terribad TV shows back then, including "Its About Time" "Captain Underpants" and "Mr. Terrific". The Flinststones and Jonny Quest were evening TV cartoons. Lost In Space began as a B&W sci-fi drama, and ended as a color sitcom/dramedy.

RIP JVD

Can't believe that I probably watched every episode of the saccarine "Family Affair" now. Buffy (Jones) infamously ODed in the mid-70s, Jody (Whitaker) was a substance abuser, and Uncle Bill (Keith) offed himself. The idiot-box champs Petticoat Junction, Gomer Pyle USMC, Green Acres, and (with exception) The Andy Griffith Show all had series linkage as well.

Last edited:
Back