Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL @ Brendan Gibbons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The woman involved didn't want to take it any further, I'd guess. He was kicked out of West Quad at the time, and I don't know how else he was disciplined (he was redshirting at the time of course). He admitted to it to three good friends of mine (guys I lived with for two years after that).

So...how does law enforcement remain uninvolved in anything as serious as this?

if a woman won't agree to testify, and the police don't already have physical evidence to use, or other witnesses, then there's no case.

The woman involved didn't want to take it any further, I'd guess. He was kicked out of West Quad at the time, and I don't know how else he was disciplined (he was redshirting at the time of course). He admitted to it to three good friends of mine (guys I lived with for two years after that).

hearsay. not saying it didn't happen, but I heard lots of things from people in college and very few of them were true, and of those, many were still gross exaggerations.

so this was '09? sketchy they would boot him from the dorm (there would be a record of that) and RichRod didn't take any actions. guessing he felt desperate enough that he needed Gibbons to go 1 for 5 in FGs the next season, and Hoke never heard about it. Or maybe he did and told Gibbons any more issues and he'd be gone.

I don't want that kind of guy on the team obviously. I'm wrestling with some cognitive dissonance here. If there's truth to this, and people can hear about it on a message board, I don't see how Hoke wouldn't have heard about it too. If Hoke heard about it, and things just carried on as they have, I'd be shocked and disappointed. I'm hoping there's some part of this story that's wrong. How do you believe this happened and not get upset about everyone else's lack of reaction?

Last edited:
It appears the writer of the letter is very thorough. I'm not dismissing their assertions by saying that I'd like to see the police reports as well.

Smith spoke to the Regents Feb 2011 about the police blacking out most police reports sought by FOIA requests
http://annarborchronicle.com/2011/02/24/council-absences-delay-some-business/

He brought the assaults up Nov 2011

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/12-11/2011-12-I-1.pdf

then again Feb 2012

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/03-12/2012-03-I-2.pdf

He addressed the board in April 2012, but they quit recording what he discussed in the minutes

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/05-12/2012-05-I-1.pdf

He spoke on national security in Sept

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/10-12/2012-10-I-1.pdf

In Feb 2013 on Black atheletes

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/03-13/2013-03-I-1.pdf

Also, Victoria Powell appears a few times asking about the medical computer thumbdrive follow up. Smith and another person also spoke on the issue in May.

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/06-13/2013-06-I-1.pdf

if a woman won't agree to testify, and the police don't already have physical evidence to use, or other witnesses, then there's no case.

hearsay. not saying it didn't happen, but I heard lots of things from people in college and very few of them were true, and of those, many were still gross exaggerations.

so this was '09? sketchy they would boot him from the dorm (there would be a record of that) and RichRod didn't take any actions. guessing he felt desperate enough that he needed Gibbons to go 1 for 5 in FGs the next season, and Hoke never heard about it. Or maybe he did and told Gibbons any more issues and he'd be gone.

My friends lived in the same hall as Gibbons in West Quad. I had regular interactions with the kid. Like you said, especially my first two years in the dorms I heard a number of weird, questionable things, none of which I'd repeat here without some external verification. I feel pretty confident in this one.

I don't want that kind of guy on the team obviously. I'm wrestling with some cognitive dissonance here. If there's truth to this, and people can hear about it on a message board, I don't see how Hoke wouldn't have heard about it too. If Hoke heard about it, and things just carried on as they have, I'd be shocked and disappointed. I'm hoping there's some part of this story that's wrong. How do you believe this about Gibbons and not get upset about everyone else too?

Yeah, it's disillusioning to say the least. I don't know what justification the coaches, AD, administration could possibly have to allow him to remain on the team. I recognize there are facts out there that I'm not aware of, but I know enough to despise him and his person regardless.

Yeah, it's disillusioning to say the least. I don't know what justification the coaches, AD, administration could possibly have to allow him to remain on the team. I recognize there are facts out there that I'm not aware of, but I know enough to despise him and his person regardless.

yeah, there are two sides to every story though I can't imagine there being much of one in Gibbons' defense.

as far as why he's still on the team, appears the prior staff & school administration didn't have a problem with this ?

in regards to the current staff, maybe Hoke simply never found out?

otherwise, the only real excuse (yeah, I know...) I can think of for his decision to keep Gibbons on the roster is because his predecessor & maybe even the university administration decided to allow him to remain on the team & in school, he couldn't boot him without Gibbons doing something else wrong under his watch. He can't just kick a kid off the team, can he?

regardless, the decision to allow him to stay seems to be indefensible, even if Gibbons has completely changed as a person.

look for the media to come after us if/when Gibbons' breaks Remy Hamilton's Michigan record this season, or wins the Groza Award...

Home is in a tough spot due to the mind boggling inaction up to the time he (Hoke) arrived on campus. Like champ said, could hoke really just have kicked him off the team?

Gibbons is lucky that his incident occurred in the pre- Sandusky era.

Another thought in whether to boot Gibbons now - if he (allegedly) rapes someone else, how big of a shit storm would we have? Is it worth the risk?

I can't believe this out there publicly to this degree. It seems like it would have to be totally buried, or a much bigger deal. How in the world is this a known thing at Michigan but not a big deal? If the regular folks aren't looking for answers, where are the activists? How is it there is only one ex-professor that's concerned? How does he walk into meetings with Regents, say all this, and it gets put in the public record with no other reaction?

You can read the police reports at www.washtenawwatchdogs.com

The victim left school for two months and when she returned in February she asked school administrators to give her a hearing in the student disciplinary process, which would have been more private, but they said they couldn't do anything for her since she gave up on a criminal complaint. She said that with all the threats she felt she could not go through a very public trial.

You can read all of the police reports and some of her communications at

http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/4...football-player-brendan-gibbons-for-rape.html

I would be very interested in hearing more of the details about him admitting this to his friends. You can contact me through the WW website.

The Professor

They had physical evidence

The police had her rape examination that showed vaginal tearing and photographs of bruises on her arm where she said that he held her down.

You can read more at

http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/4...football-player-brendan-gibbons-for-rape.html

The professor

I defiantly feel bad for the young woman. I cant imagine all she has gone through.

Man, talk about some mixed emotions every time gibbons lines up for a fg from now on. If this is true, tear an acl, fucker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back