Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU vs Baylor Cotton Bowl

Sbee

At first I was a little pissed we got this bowl just because Mississippi State jumped us for political reasons, it looks like it was a back door deal with Delaney and the committee so 10 big ten teams could get bowls. This game is more lucrative and it's a better opponent, beating GT wouldn't do a lot for our reputation but of course it's better than a loss. It's also good to play a high profile game in Texas where we recently pulled 3 recruits for 2015.

as for the crowd, I don't know what kind of MSU crowd will show up, Texas is more centrally located for travel but it becomes more of a football only trip. Miami would have been good for a lot of people because a lot of people in Michigan have relatives in Florida, you could work it into a week vacation around Christmas, Dallas would be more expensive and you're not guaranteed good weather, a tougher sell for the wife if you're bringing her. There may be a lot of travel fatigue from the rose bowl last year, people dropped 4k or more to go to the Rose bowl, some might sit this one out. Dallas is 90 minutes from Baylor so it could be a home game atmosphere for them.

As for the game, I think it's a good matchups, could be a high scoring game and a chance for MSU get a signature win. Baylor is spread to pass and we'll be better prepared with Lippett on defense. This is one where hopefully we can control the clock but Baylor has a decent run defense. I think the question is what kind of baylor team shows up? is it one that's pissed off that they're out of the playoff or is it a disinterested team?

Literally the only thing I like about this is that if we win it will be another signature win, much more so than GT would have been. I hate that this game is in Dallas and not Miami for all of the reasons you listed, it will be 70% Baylor fans even though it's a small school. Even though they're basically the same "playoff bowls" now the Orange Bowl still has more charm to me than the Cotton Bowl, probably because Big Ten teams never play in the Cotton. I also see Baylor being irate for being passed over (rightfully but not to them) and saving their best game for last. I'm picking Baylor by ~7 to 10 in a high scoring game.

Last edited:
Literally the only thing I like about this is that if we win it will be another signature win, much more so than GT would have been. I hate that this game is in Dallas and not Miami for all of the reasons you listed, it will be 70% Baylor fans even though it's a small school. Even though they're basically the same "playoff bowls" now the Orange Bowl still has more charm to me than the Cotton Bowl, probably because Big Ten teams never play in the Cotton. I also see Baylor being irate for being passed over (rightfully but not to them) and saving their best game for last. I'm picking Baylor by ~7 to 10 in a high scoring game.

I'm thinking the bowl streak continues, with 3 weeks prep our coaching advantage makes a big difference. Lippett will be used a lot more on defense, that would have been a big difference in the OSU and Oregon game

My sister is in the area so I might be headed to Texas for New Years. The political reasons are exactly what makes me annoyed but in the end this is a better matchup, more $ and a chance to beat a true quality opponent. Not a knock on GT but Baylor is quite a bit better IMHO.

I did pasedena last year, was considering maybe Miami but it's tough with the kids and cost. I did get the itch when I got the email from the athletic department last night.

23, if you want tickets I could get some at face through the univeristy as a season ticket holder. let me know

Gotta figure it's a highly motivated Baylor team that takes the Cotton Bowl field. Big 12 feels screwed today and Baylor will be looking to prove the committee wrong. Will be pulling for you Sparty. B1G bowl teams have a chance to flip the national perception of the conference....or confirm.

Last edited:
Gotta figure it's a highly motivated Baylor team that takes the Cotton Bowl field. Big 12 feels screwed today and Baylor will be looking to prove the committee wrong. Will be pulling for you Sparty. B1G bowl teams have a chance to flip the national perception of the conference....or confirm.

they very well could be motivated but they were also 11-1 last year and got smoked by UCF. that motivation factor may be overblown but I saw it with bama in 2010, that and they were a hell of a lot beter than we were.

I think the motivation is, I wouldn't say overblown, but it's difficult to predict. It's clear in some bowl games when you watch, that one team comes in motivated and/or with more of a chip on their shoulder. However, the circumstances seem to vary on that. Sometimes a team gets snubbed and comes in motivated to show everyone that the wrong team was selected. Other times they come in disinterested because they aren't playing for as big of a prize as they thought they might have a few weeks prior.

I'm more worried about MSU's motivation. We played 2 good teams this year and got beat pretty badly by both - yes we were leading Oregon in the 3rd quarter but they almost doubled us up doing most of the damage in a little over 20 minutes. I don't think Baylor is Oregon by any stretch but this team can't take anyone at this level for granted.

Last edited:
I'm more worried about MSU's motivation. We played 2 good teams this year and got beat pretty badly by both - yes we were leading Oregon in the 3rd quarter but they almost doubled us up doing most of the damage in a little over 20 minutes. I don't think Baylor is Oregon by any stretch but this team can't take anyone at this level for granted.

I agree. I think our ranking this year has been based more off respect for what they did last year along with them often passing the "eye test" and doing what they were supposed to against inferior competition, rather than any real achievement so far. So I think a good performance in this game is pretty important. Hopefully the players see it the same way.

Last edited:
This isn't going to help...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...2/12/cotton-bowl-tickets-baylor-msu/20294357/

Clearly getting hosed out of the Orange Bowl was a pretty big let down at least in terms of location. I wonder who the last Midwest team was to play in the Cotton Bowl - Notre Dame? Other than possibly ND or Nebraska would any Midwest team travel well to Dallas - especially after having a trip to Miami pulled out from underneath them

Dallas is the mecca for Roller Derby..who needs Miami when you have that..

Last edited:
Lets give this thread a little bump.

With the game tomorrow, what are the expectations? The DE from Baylor has been smack talking for a few days now. Hopefully Jackson can shut him up for good. I'm expecting a W, a big W

Lets give this thread a little bump.

With the game tomorrow, what are the expectations? The DE from Baylor has been smack talking for a few days now. Hopefully Jackson can shut him up for good. I'm expecting a W, a big W

I wish I shared your optimisim. Unfortunately I just can't pick us based on how we have played against the 2 good offenses we have faced this year, even with Lippett playing defense. I think Baylor will be more motivated (not that we won't be) due to getting passed over for the playoff. It's essentially a home game for them, I'll take Baylor 38-31.

Last edited:
I wish I shared your optimisim. Unfortunately I just can't pick us based on how we have played against the 2 good offenses we have faced this year, even with Lippett playing defense. I think Baylor will be more motivated (not that we won't be) due to getting passed over for the playoff. It's essentially a home game for them, I'll take Baylor 38-31.

the motivation is always tough to figure out, maybe it has a minimal effect in these game, who knows? did bama whip us a few years ago because they were more motivated or just better?

I'll go with my heart and say 38-34 MSU. I think this is a toss up, we really need our defensive backs to play well against their slot receivers and not allow a lot of yards after the catch, hopefully Mylan Hicks has a big day. Maybe the defense rises up to send Narduzzi out with a win

49-24 MSU

The one team that pressed the Baylor receivers was West Virginia, and they got a big win.

Last edited:
Back