Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU vs OU

johnny2x2x

Love this matchup, I think our D will be too much for them and we will be able to run.

not taking them lightly but this is lining up well for us. I think we have a great chance to win but it is all house money right now

10:07.................shit

Ugh. And I have to get up early on Saturday. My oldest son (13) has an out of town soccer tournament and the first game kicks off at 8AM Saturday (outdoors, probably a balmy 30 degrees). He's a big fan too. We'll see if I let him stay up and watch it all from the hotel Friday.

Glad we're getting OU instead of the 11 seed though. It should be a good, tough matchup, but if this team keeps playing the way it has, there's no reason to think it can't win.

FYI, their leading scorer and B12 POY, Bobby Hield is from the Bahamas and also went to Sunrise Christian academy with Tum Tum and Marvin Clark, there should be a lot of familiarity there. we played them in brooklyn last year but I don't remember that much about the game.

I was at the MSU/OK game in Brooklyn last year and was surprised that they were much better than I expected. They graduated their number 2 scorer, Cameron Clark, a 6'7" shooting guard. They have a transfer from Houston but are definitely not as deep - averaging 10 pts less per game as a team this year. They're not very big overall - look like a poor man's UVA (little more offense but a lot less defense). Obviously we lost a lot more on offense but if we defend like we did Sunday, I like our chances.

A quick note, OU is 24-10 this year and we are 25-11 They are a 3 seed we are a 7 HA! What a fucking joke, too bad the committee tried to fuck us and it didnt work. They figured wed get knocked out in the 2nd round, their plan didnt materialize. Also strange a "3 seed" are 2 point dogs against a "7 seed".

Last edited:
OU likes to run, I think we can out run any team in the nation and we are deeper than Oklahoma. Oklahoma also turns the ball over. Could be a fun game to watch.

OU likes to run, I think we can out run any team in the nation and we are deeper than Oklahoma. Oklahoma also turns the ball over. Could be a fun game to watch.

Agree. Now it wont happen but imagine if the game is called the way the last was. The refs let each team play D and run, towards the end there were a few bad calls like Tum on a nickel dimer but for the most part they just let the teams play. If the refs put their whistles away this one should be a win. Either way it should be a win.

A quick note, OU is 24-10 this year and we are 25-11 They are a 3 seed we are a 7 HA! What a fucking joke, too bad the committee tried to fuck us and it didnt work. They figured wed get knocked out in the 2nd round, their plan didnt materialize. Also strange a "3 seed" are 2 point dogs against a "7 seed".

I'm less conspiratorial but I agree to an extent. I think there were a lot of bad seeds. Just off the top of my head, OK was a bad 3, G'Town was a bad 4, Wich St as a 7 was a JOKE, us as a 7 was bad - maybe they wanted to set up a UVA/MSU rematch but why? It's possible there's some anti-MSU bias but I think if there's bias it's more likely against the B1G in general.

I'm sure it cuts both ways though. No doubt there are some UVA fans somewhere complaining about a conspiracy having had to face MSU as a 7 seed...

Last edited:
The Big 12 and Big East were the highest rated RPI conferences (how I'm not sure regarding the Big East. You look at their teams' schedules and I don't see many impressive wins there, just a lot of "ok" wins). As a result those teams, the Big East in particular, seemed to get huge breaks with the seeds.

I agree the committee overall did a pretty poor job with the seeds. Villanova getting seeded #2 overall screwed up things quite a bit at the top, most notably in setting it up so Arizona and Wisconsin now have to potentially meet in the Elite 8 when they probably should be meeting in the Final 4. Even though Villanova didn't have to beat a team ranked in the Top 10 all season.

Overall I don't like the inconsistency between pointing to the numbers and then at the same time talking about the "eye test" out the other side of their mouth. Sometimes making a run in the conference tournament bumps a team up at least a couple of lines, other times it has no effect at all.

Last edited:

the computers love OU but they were overseeded and we were underseeded. I'd say they deserved a 4 or 5 and we deserved a 6

Buddy Hield was B12 POY but looks like a volume shooter to me, shoots 36% from the 3 and 41% overall, he gets a lot of baskets in transition, not a lot in the half court. he reminds me of terran pettaway, if he's hot he's going to be a load. Denzel will have a tough matchup, needs to stay on the floor and not make dumb fouls like reaching in or anything away from the ball.

I'd say that at his point, seeding means shit.

at this point you're right but it meant a lot for MSU having to play a 2 in their second game. it costs you a round in the tourney when you have to play someone that good that early. MSU was lucky in a few ways despite the seed, we were lucky to play friday after playing an OT game on sunday where we had to spill everything on the floor, we were also lucky to get Virginia in the second game of a weekend. UVA is more likely to win with more prep time

at this point you're right but it meant a lot for MSU having to play a 2 in their second game. it costs you a round in the tourney when you have to play someone that good that early. MSU was lucky in a few ways despite the seed, we were lucky to play friday after playing an OT game on sunday where we had to spill everything on the floor, we were also lucky to get Virginia in the second game of a weekend. UVA is more likely to win with more prep time

ehhhh......you gotta beat good teams as some point.....1st round......3rd round......doesn't really matter. You say UVA is more likely to win with more prep time.....but isn't Izzo more likely to prepare a little more too with longer prep time???

Works both ways.

ehhhh......you gotta beat good teams as some point.....1st round......3rd round......doesn't really matter. You say UVA is more likely to win with more prep time.....but isn't Izzo more likely to prepare a little more too with longer prep time???

Works both ways.

it actually does matter if you view your success beyond a national title. let's say MSU gets an 8 and has to play kentucky in the 2nd round, as opposed to being a 7 and having a better chance against a 2, it makes a big difference in terms of the season being a success.

I think you have a better chance against a stronger opponent with shorter prep, it brings a lot of other factors in play like fatigue, scouting, etc. the more that is randomized the better of a chance the underdog has

it actually does matter if you view your success beyond a national title. let's say MSU gets an 8 and has to play kentucky in the 2nd round, as opposed to being a 7 and having a better chance against a 2, it makes a big difference in terms of the season being a success.

I think you have a better chance against a stronger opponent with shorter prep, it brings a lot of other factors in play like fatigue, scouting, etc. the more that is randomized the better of a chance the underdog has

Coach K was on ESPN last week. He said that he didn't think they would have beaten UNLV in the 1991 final 4 without the week to prepare for them.

Eventually you have to play who's in front of you. Seeding matters for 2 rounds.....if that. After that......play ball.

Back