Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Msu @ um

I'd fucking love it if we took the ball to start and scored on a methodical touchdown drive.

What I would really like to see is MSU get up on UM by 10 -14 points. I would like to see what UM's offense does trying to come from behind. I don't think they have been in that position since the Utah game. Harbaugh has the perfect system for a team with the lead.

I love Lucious having so much optimism and displaying it proudly during a rivalry week.

I also get that injuries are a factor in the game. It is always preferred to have both rivals at full strength and for injuries to not be a factor. Unfortunately for MSU, that is not the case this week. While UM has Oji out, and Ross serving that half game suspension, these are relatively small compared to what MSU is dealing with. The MSU DL is a shell of its potential self, and UM's OL has been continually improving.

Lucious, love your enthusiasm...but based on what I have seen from UM coupled with MSU struggles, not to mention the UM players level of confidence combined with hunger for wins after losing for too long (which prevents them from being over-confident as they WANT to win as opposed to simply going through the motions and acting like it is a given), this game does not bode well for MSU. UM's OL which has continued to improve will dominate the weakened MSU DL, and the RB rotation will pound it through for 250 yards while chewing up clock. Yes, Cook is a good QB, but the UM pass D is not at the top of the ranks for no good reason, they play tight coverage, get solid pass rush from the DL, mix in blitzes, and have a downright nasty attitude that I have not seen before, not even in '97-98 which was an all time great D...but this one is just nasty and gets offended when teams even sniff a 1st down.

Sorry guys. I wish you the absolute best the rest of the year, but this one will sting for those who are unprepared. Keep the faith though, and hopefully you get some of those injuries healed soon.

UM 45
MSU 0

Despite this, I hope MSU wins out after this game!

The D-line isn't that banged up. It's mostly pretty normal mid-season stuff - guys may not be 100% but unless I missed something, key players are expected to play. Linebackers and the already weak secondary have been hit harder and the o-line has been decimated.

The D-line isn't that banged up. It's mostly pretty normal mid-season stuff - guys may not be 100% but unless I missed something, key players are expected to play. Linebackers and the already weak secondary have been hit harder and the o-line has been decimated.

My bad on the DL, I thought there were injuries to some key guys there on your team based on reading prior threads. You would know better than I about that, just gave me the impression the DL was struggling due to injuries.

Still, with the way UM has designed plays, the tackling of RBs is more on the LBs to fill and make the stop. If the LBs are badly dinged up, that could actually be even worse for MSU.

I love Lucious having so much optimism and displaying it proudly during a rivalry week.

I also get that injuries are a factor in the game. It is always preferred to have both rivals at full strength and for injuries to not be a factor. Unfortunately for MSU, that is not the case this week. While UM has Oji out, and Ross serving that half game suspension, these are relatively small compared to what MSU is dealing with. The MSU DL is a shell of its potential self, and UM's OL has been continually improving.

Lucious, love your enthusiasm...but based on what I have seen from UM coupled with MSU struggles, not to mention the UM players level of confidence combined with hunger for wins after losing for too long (which prevents them from being over-confident as they WANT to win as opposed to simply going through the motions and acting like it is a given), this game does not bode well for MSU. UM's OL which has continued to improve will dominate the weakened MSU DL, and the RB rotation will pound it through for 250 yards while chewing up clock. Yes, Cook is a good QB, but the UM pass D is not at the top of the ranks for no good reason, they play tight coverage, get solid pass rush from the DL, mix in blitzes, and have a downright nasty attitude that I have not seen before, not even in '97-98 which was an all time great D...but this one is just nasty and gets offended when teams even sniff a 1st down.

Sorry guys. I wish you the absolute best the rest of the year, but this one will sting for those who are unprepared. Keep the faith though, and hopefully you get some of those injuries healed soon.

UM 45
MSU 0

Despite this, I hope MSU wins out after this game!

If MSU loses by 45 I'm not watching another game all year

Last edited:
I think our DB's are gonna have to be the key today. Especially the back end. If we contain the big plays then I'm calling 28-24 MSU.

One way or another I feel that Nicholson will have the biggest impact on the outcome of this game, good or bad. Time to step up!!

I think our DB's are gonna have to be the key today. Especially the back end. If we contain the big plays then I'm calling 28-24 MSU.

One way or another I feel that Nicholson will have the biggest impact on the outcome of this game, good or bad. Time to step up!!

Nicholson is killing us with his mistakes, of course we would bench him if we had williamson, copeland, or meyers.

key areas for us are defensive backs, the task is going to be a lot tougher if Hicks can't go, we're going to be playing a lot of true freshmen if that's the case. OL health is a must, they have to not only be healthy but solid against the best front 7 they've played and maybe the best we'll play all year.

OL and DB's, need to be healthy and play the best they've played all year

Our DBs need to tackle well and be as me to avoid blocks. That's the key to our D. They'll give up some passing yards, but Rudock isn't going to beat us deep often, play assignment football and tackle well in space.

Offensively it's about a healthy O Line. If gent are healthy enough we will score points.

Per the btn, conklin and price are playing, Allen is a game time decision, hicks is out. Hicks being out really sucks, I'd rather have allen out than hicks. The thought of Edmonson playing terrifies me. Maybe play cox at corner and Nicholson and miller or Willis at safety? Both options are scary.

Last edited:
Hicks was the last decent cover corner we had although he's not great. Going to take a huge effort from someone to get it done.

Hicks and London not dresses. Allen not warming up. So we lost 3 more starters last week. Price and Conklin both back though.

Hate all these injuries. I have no idea who will be playing. I do like the Spartans chances of they keep it close going into the 4th.

Price won't start but will play.

Jake Hartbarger is out, that's a huge blow, was a weapon and was consistently getting 47 yards a punt.

Back