Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

National semifinal vs Bama

Im still shocked were 9.5 point underdogs. Weve lost by that margin what like 2 times in the last 60 games? I sound like a broken record but id love nothing more than to see us come out first set and put one down the field. I can only remember one pass attempt over 25-30 yards (in the air) the entire year. It would be totally unexpected. Id also like to see some sweeps right and left on the run game. I also cant remember us breaking one in the run game more than 40 plus yards the whole year. ITs been methodical marching down the field with 15 yards over the middle, runs up the middle etc. We really need to open things up and make a statement early. Cooks had several weeks to rest the shoulder so I expect we will have more options when it comes to throwing. Will the play calls be there? Im not holding my breath. I hope we try a little more trickery than normal. Predictability wont win us the NC trophy. I was hoping for this matchup or Oklahoma. Id love to send Saban packing! This is a very winnable game for us. The first set on D is going to be a big indicator whether Henry is going to run over us or if hes human. GO GREEN!!!

Last edited:
I'm not saying we're going to win, Bama's front 7 is great, get a ton of sacks without blitzing. I do think we can contain henry, if we could lock up Ezekiel Elliott we are at least capable of checking him. We have to throw deep to win, pass to set up the run. They're good and we're good, should be a great game but hardly david and Goliath.

I'm not saying we're going to win, Bama's front 7 is great, get a ton of sacks without blitzing. I do think we can contain henry, if we could lock up Ezekiel Elliott we are at least capable of checking him. We have to throw deep to win, pass to set up the run. They're good and we're good, should be a great game but hardly david and Goliath.

Agree on all counts. Id be pretty surprised if they covered that 9.5. I see it as more of an alabama -4, really anyones game. We played in the same venue last year and just didnt come out gunslinging got behind and had to claw back. There is no reason for that, we can throw and run. An early deep reception would open it up for 8 yard runs with Scott. Baylor was chucking the ball from the onset. I dont think Alabama has that capability (im quite certain in fact). I hope we can put some pressure on the throws Coker does make early on.

Last edited:
That is a pretty big line. I think Alabama will be able to run it some, but shouldn't be able to run it down our throats all game long. It's a cumulative effect too. I saw both Auburn and Florida at the end of the year do a pretty good job on Henry for 3 quarters, but then by the 4th quarter he was getting sizable chunks and they put the game away. We will need to keep them from hitting us with play action too. They aren't going to sling it around all game, but Coker can hurt you once their running game has softened the defense up.

I agree we will need to open up the playbook on offense and hopefully Cook will be up to doing so. I imagine they will try to limit Burbridge's imact in the passing game and someone else is going to have to make some plays. Kings needs to be better than he's been a lot of the time.

I see some lines at -10. That is a huge number. I will take the points but I think Bama wins.

Msu has 4 wins against cfp top 15 teams, the other 3 teams have 3 combined, including 0 from bama

I keep hearing how Alabama has "no passing game" Ummm not sure how that perception has come about. Just looking at stats here on ESPN. What am I missing here???? On paper he looks much better than Cook but all I hear is how they are totally 1 sided and Coker sucks..hmmmmmmm

Michigan State Spartans Stats - 2015

Year:

PASSING STATISTICS
NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
Connor Cook210 369 2921 56.9 7.92 24 5 142.2

Alabama Crimson Tide Stats - 2015

Year:

PASSING STATISTICS
Jake Coker 222 338 2489 65.7 7.36 17 8 139.4

Last edited:
I keep hearing how Alabama has "no passing game" Ummm not sure how that perception has come about. Just looking at stats here on ESPN. What am I missing here???? On paper he looks much better than Cook but all I hear is how they are totally 1 sided and Coker sucks..hmmmmmmm

Michigan State Spartans Stats - 2015

Year:

PASSING STATISTICS
Connor Cook210 369 2921 56.9 7.92 24 5 142.2

Alabama Crimson Tide Stats - 2015

Year:

PASSING STATISTICS
Jake Coker 222 338 2489 65.7 7.36 17 8 139.4

I don't know if it's been said that they can't throw the ball. They can hurt you there, particularly if you sell out to stop the run. Still, I'd say that Coker falls moreso into the Game Manager category as a quarterback.

He has a high completion % but his yards per completion isn't that great. Quite a few safe, shorter throws it would seem.

I don't know if it's been said that they can't throw the ball. They can hurt you there, particularly if you sell out to stop the run. Still, I'd say that Coker falls moreso into the Game Manager category as a quarterback.

He has a high completion % but his yards per completion isn't that great. Quite a few safe, shorter throws it would seem.

Ive been hearing that almost nonstop, that Alabama is one sided cant move the ball unless its henry etc. I was pretty shocked when I saw cokers stats. 66% completions for the season (70% the last 6 games) and other than a few more ints his PAss rating is the same as Cooks.

Saban says "were going to run it until Henrys legs fall off"
Id wager reverse psychology right there. Be prepared for a few early deep plays to set the tone and open the run right from the start.

Last edited:
Ive been hearing that almost nonstop, that Alabama is one sided cant move the ball unless its henry etc. I was pretty shocked when I saw cokers stats. 66% completions for the season (70% the last 6 games) and other than a few more ints his PAss rating is the same as Cooks.

Saban says "were going to run it until Henrys legs fall off"
Id wager reverse psychology right there. Be prepared for a few early deep plays to set the tone and open the run right from the start.

i'm with you there - feel like all this talk about Henry and bama being 1 dimensional could be tactical. I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw the ball a good amount.

i'm with you there - feel like all this talk about Henry and bama being 1 dimensional could be tactical. I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw the ball a good amount.

Coker threw the ball well against Florida in SEC championship game. Kid made tough throws and showed an arm. Dantonio certainly saw it.

Coker threw the ball well against Florida in SEC championship game. Kid made tough throws and showed an arm. Dantonio certainly saw it.
Not saying he's not a good qb but it's easy to throw when the other team has to put 8 in the box. You can kill people with play action, imagine what cook could do if he played with a leveon bell type back.

Cook has had some pretty good tailback play for his career - until this year and even this year w/ all the injuries, the line was a bigger weakness than TB - but that's not the point. The point is that Coker and Bama's passing attack is a bigger threat than most are making it out to be and even if it is mainly due to their running game, it's still just as real for MSU as it was for anyone else this year since we will likely need to load up the box to stop Henry too.

This is going to be a tough game for all aspects of our offense and defense. But I actually think we're going to win it and I'm putting my money where my mouth is with MSU moneyline.

Last edited:
Cook has had some pretty good tailback play for his career - until this year and even this year w/ all the injuries, the line was a bigger weakness than TB - but that's not the point. The point is that Coker and Bama's passing attack is a bigger threat than most are making it out to be and even if it is mainly due to their running game, it's still just as real for MSU as it was for anyone else this year since we will likely need to load up the box to stop Henry too.

This is going to be a tough game for all aspects of our offense and defense. But I actually think we're going to win it and I'm putting my money where my mouth is with MSU moneyline.

I agree that Coker is a good QB, it's just easier to throw when you're in shorter yardage situations because of Henry, we need to force predictable passing downs. that's football 101 but I think it's more the case with stopping Bama's passing game. if we can slow the run game down, I'll take our chances with Coker

Flights to Phoenix booked as of this morning

Back