Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sept 17th @ ND

Well Davis didn't do himself any favors by waiting til a few weeks ago to finally graduate.

Was that up to him? Was he subject to an academic calendar or could he have graduated sooner?

not to change the subject but I watched that ND game Monday morning and their D looked awful. AWFUL. They couldn't stop the run or the pass - Scott should have a good day and the deep ball is there if Warner and Bollman have the stones to call it. Texas went deep at least 5 or 6 times and the only thing that stopped it was either an overthrow or a drop. I'll be with Spartans23 pounding the table this time if we don't chuck it down field at least a few times at ND.

Was that up to him? Was he subject to an academic calendar or could he have graduated sooner?

not to change the subject but I watched that ND game Monday morning and their D looked awful. AWFUL. They couldn't stop the run or the pass - Scott should have a good day and the deep ball is there if Warner and Bollman have the stones to call it. Texas went deep at least 5 or 6 times and the only thing that stopped it was either an overthrow or a drop. I'll be with Spartans23 pounding the table this time if we don't chuck it down field at least a few times at ND.

Other than the Rose Bowl year we havent thrown a pass in the air over 30 yards. WE were spreading things around back then and using lots of trick plays. In fact I pay attention to this and I only remember 1 time last year we put one down the field on a fly pattern over 30 yards. I think teams know by now just to protect short because we wont even attempt it. Yes, thats the issue, we played awful on both sides to FURMAN. Receivers were wide open play after play. Some say the Furman game was "no big deal" but I thought it was one of the poorest efforts ive seen in some time. Im going to stay in denial for now because we do tend to to start slow but starting slow to Furman at home is a no no...

Other than the Rose Bowl year we havent thrown a pass in the air over 30 yards. WE were spreading things around back then and using lots of trick plays. In fact I pay attention to this and I only remember 1 time last year we put one down the field on a fly pattern over 30 yards. I think teams know by now just to protect short because we wont even attempt it. Yes, thats the issue, we played awful on both sides to FURMAN. Receivers were wide open play after play. Some say the Furman game was "no big deal" but I thought it was one of the poorest efforts ive seen in some time. Im going to stay in denial for now because we do tend to to start slow but starting slow to Furman at home is a no no...

I still think we need to shove the ball down their throats with the run and mix in 4 or 5 plays downfield with play action. O'Connor doesn't appear to be ready to run a pass heavy offense. The deep ball needs to be part of the offense but a small part, and it has to be set up by drawing their backers and safeties in with an effective run game.

Just saying that it took him over 5 years.

Got it. And just to clarify, I wasn't challenging your statement, it was an honest question - I was wondering whether he was wrapping up some independent study as opposed to taking a more structured class with a scheduled final.

ND didn't look very impressive against Nevada. Still going to be a tough game, but not nearly as bad as I thought before the season started.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

One good thing about a Bye week this early is that every Saturday until December will have a Spartan game. Sounds good to me!

Also anyone watch the Pitt - Penn State game? Pitt came out and ran a completely different offense and defense than they ran in their first game. Not completely different, but it was much more complex and it took Penn State by surprise because they couldn't really prepare for it. I'm hoping that's something that MSU does as well. Play a vanilla game against an FCS opponent and bring out the whole playbook at ND.

Also anyone watch the Pitt - Penn State game? Pitt came out and ran a completely different offense and defense than they ran in their first game. Not completely different, but it was much more complex and it took Penn State by surprise because they couldn't really prepare for it. I'm hoping that's something that MSU does as well. Play a vanilla game against an FCS opponent and bring out the whole playbook at ND.
We didn't see Gerald Holmes or Delton Williams, they might be a big part of the offense going forward. Maybe some option type plays where you fake or hand off to Delton up the middle. I wouldn't be surprised of we saw Terry for a wildcat package too

ND -8

Seems high for the matchup but given the way we underperformed and ND taking care of business the last game calls for a 2 score underdog I suppose.

ND -8

Seems high for the matchup but given the way we underperformed and ND taking care of business the last game calls for a 2 score underdog I suppose.

Their QB scares me. Hicks better be ready because they're coming after him. I remember last time we played ND, they went deep every single play it seems like. PI calls were plentiful.

Their QB scares me. Hicks better be ready because they're coming after him. I remember last time we played ND, they went deep every single play it seems like. PI calls were plentiful.

There were plenty of PI's in that game but that was their gameplan against our 2013 defense which was just nasty. They played chuck and duck football, threw deep all the time hoping something good would happen, they knew they couldn't sustain long drives and gain yardage on the ground, their strategy will likely be different this time.

this time they don't need to play chuck and duck. now they can just throw the ball down field for long receptions with impunity. fortunately, the same opportunity appears to be there for us and their run defense doesn't look any better than their secondary.

ND -8

I wud take the points, maybe the moneyline. ND isn't 8 pts better than any top 25 team. hopefully we are a real top 25 team.

In 2013 they threw for 142 yards but had 5 PI calls and MSU had 115 yards in penalty yardage, still only came up with 17 points but that was enough to win. I'm not saying Darien Hicks is going to be a 1st rounder but Darqueze Dennard was called for two of those PI's and beaten for a deep ball as well, Waynes had 2 PI's. The point is, don't make too much of two faceguards against Furman.

I'm more concerned with 6 or 7 completions for 12 yards or more that Furman had, not the faceguards.

Thats the thing Furman had receivers wide open over and over. I know we "start slow" but im a little concerned. I think the msu+8 looks decent though

If we looked bad I'm pretty sure giving up 50+ to an awful Texas team is even worse. I know Texas is top 10 now but I guarantee they lose 5 games.

If we looked bad I'm pretty sure giving up 50+ to an awful Texas team is even worse. I know Texas is top 10 now but I guarantee they lose 5 games.

yeah, that's what I said after the Texas game - the ND defense was bad against the run and the pass. We absolutely have a chance tomorrow night, but we can't rely on ND playing poorly. The team can't be flat and has to play better.

yeah, that's what I said after the Texas game - the ND defense was bad against the run and the pass. We absolutely have a chance tomorrow night, but we can't rely on ND playing poorly. The team can't be flat and has to play better.

I agree! Feed LJ the ball, play solid defense and we should leave ND with a win. I'm thinking it'll be 28-24 Spartans! It's game day!!!

Back