Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Darvish -- Rangers win

Umm..obviously the big money spending has been shifted from the ALED to the ALWD so far during this off-season. The Rangers and esp. the Angels being the western equivalent of the Yanks and Bosox.

This guy better be the next Fergie Jenkins for this money....better not be a Bobby Witt!

Scouting Report from Mark Anderson, TigsTown:

FB - Both two and four seam offerings with plus command, can sit 90-94 and touch 96-97 at times, though that peak velo may not translate to a five-day rest period.
CB - Really slow -- like 58-60 mph slow -- won't be a usable pitch in the big leagues and will likely be scrapped.
CT - Probably his best pitch, lethal against RHH and LHH, 89-91 mph, good horizontal movement.
SL - Flashes plus at times but consistently above-average, good swing and miss pitch with two plane break and tight spin.
CH - Doesn't throw much, may need to refine it to give him more of a change of speeds and something else against LHH.
SP - Doesn't throw much, likely to be scrapped in MLB.

So in the end you're talking a FB, SL, CT guy that can command those three pitches exceedingly well, knows how to mix pitches as well as add and subract velocity from all three. If he improves the change-up that gives him a softer offering that could really round out the arsenal.

He's a legit #2 starter.

look where he got those stats, not taking anything away from Japanese baseball, but they don't hit as well as major leaguers.

Its hard on figure out what he might do. Most Japanese pitchers blow. I'll have to have a wait and see approach.

I don't care if he's twice as good in Japan. There's more possiblity that he sucks than good. And with that money he better be better than 3.5ish.

Way to much money for an unproven guy. The only Japanese player that has been as good as advertised was Ichiro. Others have had success but nothing like the press that came with them. Yu may be good but for 100-150 mil total investment he has to be great to be worth it. They could have resigned Wilson for less.

Way too much money for what basically is a 50-50 chance for becoming wildly successful, or the Rangers' version of Dice K or Kei Igawa.

Anyone remember the Tigers failed attempt with their Japanese SP (who was used mostly as an RP) Masao Kida?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kidama01.shtml

I had to look his name up on BBR b/c I could not immediately recall what it was...haha!!

looks like there is another reason to hate the rangers as much as the angels, redox, yankees,
http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34453185
knobler at cbssports

CBSSports.com reports that the Rangers and Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish are finalizing a six-year contract.
Darvish reportedly was aiming for a five-year deal that would enable him to hit free agency a year sooner, but the Rangers have apparently found a way to convince him otherwise. Previous reports have indicated that they were offering a contract similar in value to the six-year, $52 million deal signed with the Red Sox in December of 2006, but chances are this contract will be even bigger. We'll find out just how much in a matter of hours, as Heyman hears that a deal will indeed get done prior to the 5 p.m. ET deadline.
rotoworld

Rangers officially got their man today, signing Yu Darvish to a six-year, $60MM contract on top of the $51.7MM posting fee they will now pay the Nippon Ham Fighters. Darvish will wear #11 with the Rangers according to Jeff Wilson of The Forth Worth Star-Telegram (on Twitter), a number that NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman says will be semi-retired by Nippon Ham.

As a couple of you mentioned regarding Japanese pitchers and their collective lack of success in the US and MLB, it might have to do with the adjustment from pitching once every 6 or 7 days in the Nippon/Japanese Leagues to every 5 days here. Lack of success and others with arm injuries.
It is possible that the rangers can and will be able to go to a 6 man rotation "periodically". At least from what I have heard on XM mlb network and a couple of sites while surfing for Tigers news.

They won??? 6 years for over $110 million. Over $18 million per year for a guy that has never pitched in MLB. I hope he is Dice K 2.0

hellifino said:
way too much to spend on a gamble.

Not much of a gamble there. Sure the Rangers overpaid by paying Japan's Tigers team the bidding fee.

But let there be no mistake in saying Darvish is a darn good pitcher. Would not shock me to see him make the All Star team in his very first season of MLB.

If anything derails Darvish, it'll be the Arlington heat. I don't see anything else that might turn Darvish into the next Dice-K.

Back