Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why oh Why did Victor get hurt

biggunsbob

The more I think on it i think we need to move Young to DH and get an above average outfielder for left-field.. We are never going to replace Victor but maybe we can cut down some errors in left so am leaning towards Abreu and Cespedes.. I know Bobby would play right and Boesch would have to play left but that is ok. I have heard Cespedes is a pretty good fielder but i still worry abut him making the jump from Cuban baseball to the majors.. Losing a Switch hitter like Victor hurts so much that I know we all are sick over it... It seems like it is always a struggle for our favorite teams.. Man we are so close yet so far away...

Btw, that's a bad list of old vets. Geez ;-). I guess when you wait them the breaks. Also, why get Manny when he sits for 50 days?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Btw, that's a bad list of old vets. Geez ;-). I guess when you wait them the breaks. Also, why get Manny when he sits for 50 days?

b/c those 50 games can and would be taken into consideration when negotiating a partial-season contract. The ALCD is the only division in the AL that is presently weak enough where the Tigers could remain contenders, while he serves his 50 games, and then having Manny join the team during the month of June would be similar to acquiring players before the trade deadline @ the end of July, only being a few months earlier instead.

It may not matter any way, b/c some other contending AL team may go after him DURING the early season, IF their DH becomes injured and as a result goes on more than the 60 day DL (or worse the remainder) or is mired in a season long slump (JUST like the Tigers have with VMart for the former and VERY likely again ADunn with the White Sox, coincidentally enough)

Like Sbee has posted in the past (who oddly enough, decided not to join our "merry" little band of Tigers fans here on the Proboards) there is no such thing as a bad one year contract, and of course Ramirez' contract with the Tigers would be based on LESS than a full season.

IF the Tigers were in the ALED OR WD than I would be completely opposed to acquiring Manny, as he would NOT be enough help to beat out the top teams in those divisions. The Tigers will very probably STILL need more help than just a replacement for VMart, regardless of whom they do (or do not) get to bat @ DH, if they want to make any noise in the postseason, IMO.

Sign Cespedes to hopefully become our future LF, throw a bunch of money at Fielder on a 1yr deal, keep Turner and Castellanos in the minors, and call it a day. It's only money and Mr. I has boatloads of it.

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Btw, that's a bad list of old vets. Geez ;-). I guess when you wait them the breaks. Also, why get Manny when he sits for 50 days?

b/c those 50 games can and would be taken into consideration when negotiating a partial-season contract. The ALCD is the only division in the AL that is presently weak enough where the Tigers could remain contenders, while he serves his 50 games, and then having Manny join the team during the month of June would be similar to acquiring players before the trade deadline @ the end of July, only being a few months earlier instead.

It may not matter any way, b/c some other contending AL team may go after him DURING the early season, IF their DH becomes injured and as a result goes on more than the 60 day DL (or worse the remainder) or is mired in a season long slump (JUST like the Tigers have with VMart for the former and VERY likely again ADunn with the White Sox, coincidentally enough)

Like Sbee has posted in the past (who oddly enough, decided not to join our "merry" little band of Tigers fans here on the Proboards) there is no such thing as a bad one year contract, and of course Ramirez' contract with the Tigers would be based on LESS than a full season.

IF the Tigers were in the ALED OR WD than I would be completely opposed to acquiring Manny, as he would NOT be enough help to beat out the top teams in those divisions. The Tigers will very probably STILL need more help than just a replacement for VMart, regardless of whom they do (or do not) get to bat @ DH, if they want to make any noise in the postseason, IMO.

I just don't think manny has anything left in the tank.. I would prefer old geezers Lee or Vlad Or Abreu over Manny who has been out of baseball for a while... At least good baseball..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
Turok said:

I just don't think manny has anything left in the tank.. I would prefer old geezers Lee or Vlad Or Abreu over Manny who has been out of baseball for a while... At least good baseball..

No one knows which one, if some or even any of those whom you posted will have anything left in the tank. Most likely, they all are going to want at least somewhat more than they are actually worth to acquire, especially since all of them KNOW that VMart is likely out for all of next season. But out of all of them, I think that Ramirez would be the most willing if not desperate for a partial-season contract, b/c of being hamstrung with a 50 game suspension to serve,...and may end up being the most bang for the buck out of all of them, but again, that is JMO.

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]

No one knows which one, if some or even any of those whom you posted will have anything left in the tank. Most likely, they all are going to want at least somewhat more than they are actually worth to acquire, especially since all of them KNOW that VMart is likely out for all of next season. But out of all of them, I think that Ramirez would be the most willing if not desperate for a partial-season contract, b/c of being hamstrung with a 50 game suspension to serve,...and may end up being the most bang for the buck out of all of them, but again, that is JMO.

But I think Manny had only 17 at bats 2011 unlike the rest of the players on the list.. So i will pass on him.. At least most of the other guys played in the majors last year and had plenty of at bats
This juicer would be a bad fit for the Tigers.. Just my opinion.

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:

So you want him because he'll be cheaper? Who signs a guy knowing he can't play until June?

why does everybody want cepedes? Most people on these boards think that minor league players are good trading chips because you never know if they will pan out. Earth to Tiger Fan....Cepedes is a MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER!!!! Why give $60 million to a AA player?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Have to say it again, DY at DH - yuk.

I love the idea to DH both Delmon Young and Ryan Raburn 90% of the games. That's an integral way to help improve our defense.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Abreu makes the most sense...

The only snag is that he isn't a free agent. Maybe the Angels just want to dump salary, but if they actually want value for Abreu, the Tiger's can get similar production in the free agent class.

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Abreu makes the most sense...

The only snag is that he isn't a free agent. Maybe the Angels just want to dump salary, but if they actually want value for Abreu, the Tiger's can get similar production in the free agent class.

I am aware of that... I had heard the angels want to move him and he is a much better fielder then Raburn and Young. His OBP is decent at .353 last year even if his average has trended down the last two season.. It really does not matter because any move DD makes is not going to make us all happy... just an idea....

Problem with Abreu is what will we have to give the Angels for a rental on a guy that we could get the same production roughly from Damon, who's a FA.

MI_Thumb said:
Problem with Abreu is what will we have to give the Angels for a rental on a guy that we could get the same production roughly from Damon, who's a FA.

We won't have to give them anything.

Abreu has no trade value, we wouldn't give them any prospect that could turn out to be a good starting player.

MotownWebGuy said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Have to say it again, DY at DH - yuk.

I love the idea to DH both Delmon Young and Ryan Raburn 90% of the games. That's an integral way to help improve our defense.

And an integral way to suck at the DH position. Maybe its just me but I want a good hitter at DH not someone because he sucks on D.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
MotownWebGuy said:

And an integral way to suck at the DH position. Maybe its just me but I want a good hitter at DH not someone because he sucks on D.

Well they are both here - plus both are going to play. If you rather have them on defense while they play, you are not in the majority with that opinion.

Back