Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tiger #51: Someone recent

Would this be a topic, had Ilitch spent team payroll money like Oakland and Tampa Bay.

No need for me to put a question mark at the end of that sentence.
I already know the answer to the question.
Leyland timed his entry to Detroit perfectly. Got a real lucky start in 2006.... then coasted as Ilitch provided the money and Dombrowski provided the brains.

Leyland will probably end up in the Hall of Fame, despite how some fans perceive him.

Would this be a topic, had Ilitch spent team payroll money like Oakland and Tampa Bay.

No need for me to put a question mark at the end of that sentence.
I already know the answer to the question.
Leyland timed his entry to Detroit perfectly. Got a real lucky start in 2006.... then coasted as Ilitch provided the money and Dombrowski provided the brains.

If he hired the management, scouting and development personell that TB & Oakland have then the likely answer would be yes....because those teams have had success with those low payrolls because they have good players.

If he hired the management, scouting and development personell that TB & Oakland have then the likely answer would be yes....because those teams have had success with those low payrolls because they have good players.

.... and if we hired Joe Maddon instead of Jim, we would have secured a World Series and be playing in another one.

The same odds you presented above - I presented here.

.... and if we hired Joe Maddon instead of Jim, we would have secured a World Series and be playing in another one.

So Maddon can make Fielder, Jackson, Hunter and Infante into productive hitters?

So Maddon can make Fielder, Jackson, Hunter and Infante into productive hitters?

Think deeper Tom! I know you have it in you!

The current personnel would be a little different, had Maddon been here. Jim burnt that bridge to help select his 25-man roster at the end of 2008.

Last I heard, Maddon still has some pretty good imput.

Think deeper Tom! I know you have it in you!

The current personnel would be a little different, had Maddon been here. Jim burnt that bridge to help select his 25-man roster at the end of 2008.

Last I heard, Maddon still has some pretty good imput.

I have no idea if the personel would be different and don't know what impact JL has on determining rosters. Maddon might be a great manager but that has no impact on how good of a manager Leyland was.

Leyland ranks favorably with the great Tiger managers of the past. If the pitching staff could field, they would probably have won the 2006 series. 2012 was a fluke IMO. The Giants were getting ridiculous scratch hits to go along with Kung Fu Panda (of all people) hitting 3 HR. They had a team of destiny mojo working. Tigers should have beaten Boston, but a Cabrera groin and bullpen choke denied us.

What is your evidence to this?

Leyland will probably end up in the Hall of Fame, despite how some fans perceive him.

I don't think I have ever hear of a single manager, coach or anything in sports history that got so much blame attributed to him for any losses, and so much insistence that any wins or positive results were simply in spite of him.

I think Billy Martin might have been more beloved.

Translation: Use your imagination and hatred of Leyland as if it represented any logical fact at all.

I do not hate any former Tigers manager. I just feel that so far, every Dombrowski appointment at manager, could have been a better pick.

I actually feel picking managers is a weakness in Dombrowski's line-of-work. His scouting department obviously has flaws too..... based on where the minor league franchise (as a whole) is rated annually.

But hey! I love Dombrowski and every franchise leader has flaws.

I don't think I have ever hear of a single manager, coach or anything in sports history that got so much blame attributed to him for any losses, and so much insistence that any wins or positive results were simply in spite of him.

The reason Jim will be remembered in a manner like that, is because so many of moves stuck out like a thumb and were often disputed and argued.

Jim brought that-on himself. He created more head-scratching with Tigers fans in eight years, than what Sparky created in seventeen years.

No - I will not miss Jim in the dugout, or spewing chicken salad in post-game interviews.

Last edited:
Back