Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland retires....Now voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

Looks like former Bash Brother and spill the roider beans author Jose Canseco might be angling for the Tigers open managerial job?

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco

But then, he also tweeted earlier that he thinks that he should be named MLB Commish...lololo!! >:D

#can'ttellifserious

Like his idea of acquiring Balfour & Carlos Beltran, but maybe just a few years too late.

Lol

Thought that was a troll account until I saw the verified icon.

Mlb network guy says baker is very interested in this job

Don't even think about it DD!

Baker might get the cursory interview for the job, but I truly doubt that he is or would afterward be on DD's short list as Leyland's replacement.

Agree.

I also was not thrilled when Trammell was given the keys, simply because he was a Tigers hero. Gibson went to AZ and did all that on his own merits, he didn't have expectations to live up to like he would have in Detroit or LA. and that's what happened to Trammell, he was handed a team in poor shape and was expected to be a messiah because of what he did as a player, and probably never really for a fair shot at it.

It reminds me a bit of Cubs fans wanting Sandberg to get the job all these years. Did they want him because they truly believe he is the answer or do they want him because he was a beloved player?

So now Brookens name is being mentioned and I get that somewhat. But is Brookens a candidate for any other managerial job right now? Are teams going to interview him for their openings?

It reminds me a bit of Cubs fans wanting Sandberg to get the job all these years. Did they want him because they truly believe he is the answer or do they want him because he was a beloved player?

So now Brookens name is being mentioned and I get that somewhat. But is Brookens a candidate for any other managerial job right now? Are teams going to interview him for their openings?

he cant even decide if he wants to send someone from 3B or not lol.....why on earth would I want him running a team?

To quote Tommy Boy: I swear I have seen a lot of shit in my life; but that, was AWESOME!

mqdefault.jpg

I just hope we go with a guy who is younger.. I just want new energy and thoughts in the dugout..

I heard an interview with Leyland today....he told DD in July that this was his last year.

I heard an interview with Leyland today....he told DD in July that this was his last year.

He probably understood that with several contracts coming up 2013 might be the last realistic shot at a title.

I'm sure he is aware that Scherzer and Porcello might get traded before they make FA. Benoit, Infante, Peralta were all going to be FA and in enough demand to drive the prices up enough that it would be impossible to retain them all.

He probably understood that with several contracts coming up 2013 might be the last realistic shot at a title.

I'm sure he is aware that Scherzer and Porcello might get traded before they make FA. Benoit, Infante, Peralta were all going to be FA and in enough demand to drive the prices up enough that it would be impossible to retain them all.

The interview was pretty good (Dan Patrick show). He went into a lot of detail of how he "just doesn't have any gas left in the tank". I think he is just a 69 year old man that doesn't have the energy to do the job anymore.

Pelc can rag on the Tigers managers post-Sparky and pre-Jimmy, but they didn't have the talent to pencil into the daily lineups that those two had. Sparky moreso b/c he inherited a ballclub loaded with potential and on the verge of greatness, yet only managed one WS win and two postseason appearances. Not saying that those managers would have done better, but a managers job is a lot easier when he can use rotos and pencil in lineups that are heavy with players who are near the top in many statistical categories. Leyland in additon to managing teams that were continually being improved through trades and FA signings, also had the perennial benefit of the ballclub being in the AL Central, which has been the weakest of the three in the AL, with the lone exception of last season.

What makes the search for the next Tigers' skipper so compelling is that whoever it is will be inheriting a ballclub amidst a period of serious contention, with its chances of keeping the window open beyond perhaps next season being unknown due to expiring contracts (Scherzer) some being past prime (VMart, Hunter) and some players soon to age out of their primes.

Last edited:

Vintage Detroit was blocked by one of the security addons (Malwarebytes) which I have installed in one of my Firefox browsers

I decided to bypass the block in order to read the article...but when I tried to close the page when finished, VD prevented it. I don't LIKE it when some websites try that stunt. :mad:

As far as Leyland belonging in the HoF, I am kinda on the fence, can see reasons why and why not, but its not gonna be my call if he does or doesn't make it.

Last edited:
Back