Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bruce Pearl is coaching again, and therefore will be cheating again

Michchamp

the espn article is so bad, I can't even bring myself to link to it.

honestly, how can you report on the hire, and not mention that Pearl is STILL subject to the show-cause penalty?
CBS does a better job. Their writer apparently went to journalism school:
Pearl's show-cause penalty ends on Aug. 23 of this year. CBSSports.com reached out to the NCAA for a comment on the matter. It said, "Since this hiring was announced before [Aug. 23, 2014], Auburn and Pearl will have to file a report with the COI within 30 days of his hiring agreeing to prohibit Pearl from recruiting until August 23 (or contest the restrictions)."
The irony to this entire situation is that Auburn's assistant athletic director in compliance is a man named Dave Didion -- who was reportedly the lead investigator in the NCAA's case on Pearl. Didion knowing the ins and outs with the case could cause reason for Auburn to ask the NCAA to reconsider Pearl's show-cause status, but it's exceedingly unlikely any changes to the punishment will come.
the fact that Auburn's compliance director is a former NCAA investigator who would knowingly hire a blatant and notorious cheater like Pearl is no surprise I guess, since we already know all three (Auburn, Pearl, and the NCAA) are dirty.

I thought hiring someone under a show-cause was a bigger deal. Apparently they simply can't do their job until it's lifted, but simply being the coach in name only isn't a problem

I'm almost done with Bacon's Fourth and Long. I think this is probably the most significant line in the entire book:

"That's when you realize: the NCAA is no longer an enforcement agency, but a marketing company. Once you grasp that, everything the NCAA does - and doesn't do - suddenly makes sense..."

I'm almost done with Bacon's Fourth and Long. I think this is probably the most significant line in the entire book:

"That's when you realize: the NCAA is no longer an enforcement agency, but a marketing company. Once you grasp that, everything the NCAA does - and doesn't do - suddenly makes sense..."

good quote... don't hurt the brand, i.e. don't get caught cheating.

Hey, maybe Bacon is not so bad after all.

That really sunk in for me when they let Pryor play in that bowl game. Kind of hard to miss it at that point.

That really sunk in for me when they let Pryor play in that bowl game. Kind of hard to miss it at that point.

the comments from that redneck Sugar Bowl committee chairman were what shocked me. I mean the guy was openly deriding those with any sense of propriety or fair play. he didn't even need to try to hide it, or pay lip service to ideals of sportsmanship.

Remember how the Pearl scandal broke too ....picture of little aaron craft at pearl's house

Back