Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shea Weber

jimrice

Based on the ridiculous offer that Nashville made, 4.75, and the high figure he received in arbitration, 7.5, is this his last year as a Pred? Detroit has contracts up for Stuart, Knonwall and Lidstrom after 11-12. Lidstrom will almost certainly retire and Kronwall will get a raise, and I'd like the Wings to part ways with Stuart and go after Weber.

Weber said all the right things about Nashville, assuming they would lock him up, or at least that he would be there in 11-12 for sure. I wonder if he's thinking about greener pastures.

Exciting to think about, just wish his price tag wasn't $7+mill. I know with Lids likely retiring after next season that we will have some money to work with and adding Weber would be a nice way to transition to the post-Lidstrom era. I guess they will just have to do one of those heavy front loaded contracts that gets his cap number a little more workable, because he will be wanting a huge deal.

I like Shea Webber a lot... I think he would be the perfect person to sign in order to reduce the blow of Lidstrom leaving.

That being said it is not Hollands M.O to overspend on a player, regardless of who it is. Seeing as Erricson just got a hefty raise (he makes more than Kronwall now - which is a sick joke) and Kronwall being due a raise next year I think it would be difficult to find money to sign him, especially with other teams (like the rangers) jacking up his price.

But I really hope Kenny can find a way to make it happen...Webber is a beast.

If the Preds faulter in the standings, and continue not to be contenders, Nashville would be almost remiss if they didn't trade him somewhere. Could the Wings make a reasonable offer and then sign him to a lengthy extension? Sure. Will they? It makes a lot more sense now, with the extra cap space in reserve, than it would have in prior years where we strained to stay under the cap at all.

Webber just signed a 1 year arbitration deal worth $7.5million. He has rejected several of their long term contracts.

I honestly dont see Nashville trading him - especially to a division rival. He is just too good and Nashville has a very good team this year - Sporting News actually picked them to win the Central Division.

I think that Nashville will be stubborn and try to sign him until he becomes a FA. The wings have 7 million in cap space right now and if Lidstrom hangs em up after this year we will have 13 million to throw at him and/or another Stud Defenseman.

Like I said I REALLY hope Kenny can make this happen - Webber is entering his Prime and is a top 5 Dman in the league.

I could very easily see Nashville refuse any trades and just hope. But like you said, the Wings (as well as other teams with better cup chances) are going to have the cap space to make him a deal. It's going to make a lot more sense to get a decent haul during the season than a mid-late round pick a week before FA starts. The worst case scenario is Weber signing somewhere else and Nashville getting nothing for him. Being stubborn stops making financial or hockey sense pretty quickly.

Back