Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Abdelkader gets contract extension

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Executive Vice President & General Manager Ken Holland announced today that the team has signed left wing Justin Abdelkader to a seven-year contract extension.

Per the team's official Twitter

I am not surprised but incredibly stunned. It's not like Abdelkader is a one-of-a-kind player. There are lots of guys like him with toughness, marginal skating skills and "net presence who earn (a lot) less. This is a bad deal.

Last edited:
I am not surprised but incredibly stunned. It's not like Abdelkader is a one-of-a-kind player. There are lots of guys like him with toughness, marginal skating skills and "net presence who earn (a lot) less. This is a bad deal.

Isn't it impossible to know if it's a bad deal without knowing the value of the contract? Unless you've seen it then please share because I can't find it!

WTF ...7 YEARS 29 MILLION to a guy who had a career year last season (23 goals) and what scored all his darn goals in one game this year so far? Look I like JA but this is yet another contract debacle by Holland ..He is nowhere near worth this much in my opinion ..

ABDELKADER CAREER STATS: GP 413 G 65 A 74 P 139

NYQUIST CAREER STATS: GP 194 G 65 A 60 P 125

What will Gustav command?

Hooooly shit. Is 3ish million a year really that much money in the NHL? NBA players think this is hilarious.

This is the same franchise and GM who played hardball with Sergei Fedorov.

With the way the salary cap is increasing this isn't a bad deal. Abdelkader is one of those guys where stats don't show his presence.

I can't sign this deal when it's seven years and there are many other players who can have the same impact for a lot less money. He's going to be 35 when it expires and way short on "presence" on the ice before then, IMO.

Words cannot express how bad this contract is. Last year was a fluke year for Abdelkader. He won't sniff 20 goals this season, let alone 3 or 4 or 5 years down the road. Holland needs to go. You don't pay that kind of money to a type of player that you can find as an UFA at any time when the season is over.

Last edited:
Words cannot express how bad this contract is. Last year was a fluke year for Abdelkader. He won't sniff 20 goals this season, let alone 3 or 4 or 5 years down the road. Holland needs to go. You don't pay that kind of money to a type of player that you can find as an UFA at any time when the season is over.

Maybe it was the 13-game scoreless streak that clinched the deal.

I like Abdelkader, good solid player. But Holland is seriously f'ing stupid to give him this deal. He could have been retained for much less. And if not, a replacement could have been found much easier.

Last edited:
Back