Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings Franchise page

biggunsbob

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/

So werid that of the wings 11 Stanley Cup titles only 4 of them came in a season that the Wings had over 100 points which we have done 19 times. Man sometimes it feels like the Wings just like the Tigers have let a few titles get away from them. I know playoffs can be a crap shoot but a pitch here or a clutch hit there or a lucky goal here or a penalty call there and we could have so many more titles under Detroit's belt.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I am grateful for 25 years in a row of playoff hockey and have loved the Tigers resurgence since 2006 I just wish we could be one of those lucky cities like SF, Boston , Chicago and win a bunch in a few years.

To be fair, 9/11 seasons Detroit were on pace for 100+ points over 82 games. The pace is 61% of the points.

Exceptions:
1935-6 when the Wings were at 58.3% and led the NHL in points.
1996-7 when the Wings were at 57.3% which was just a season after their ridiculous 131 point season.

That offseason you saw Ciccarelli, Coffey, and Primeau leave the team to be replaced by Shanahan. It wasn't until the deadline that Wings robbed Toronto for Murphy.

A few years ago I compared how Detroit did in playoffs versus their goals for and goals against.

There is a far stonger correlation between having amazing GAA than a great GF.

If you look at the 25 years of the streak, the times Detroit actually won the cups it was during some of their lowest GAA seasons.

Below are the seasons where Detroit allowed fewer than 200 goals against. Ignoring shortened seasons *Arrange by GAA
320 GF 181 GAA in 95-6, lost in Conference Finals to eventual winner
257 GF 184 GAA in 07-8 SC winner
253 GF 187 GAA in 01-2 SC winner
255 GF 189 GAA in 03-4 lost in second round
250 GF 196 GAA in 97-8 SC winner
253 GF 197 GAA in 96-7 SC winner
254 GF 199 GAA in 06-7 lost in Conference finals to SC winner

Morale of story, Defence wins Championships!

Last edited:
To be fair, 9/11 seasons Detroit were on pace for 100+ points over 82 games. The pace is 61% of the points.

Exceptions:
1935-6 when the Wings were at 58.3% and led the NHL in points.
1996-7 when the Wings were at 57.3% which was just a season after their ridiculous 131 point season.

That offseason you saw Ciccarelli, Coffey, and Primeau leave the team to be replaced by Shanahan. It wasn't until the deadline that Wings robbed Toronto for Murphy.

A few years ago I compared how Detroit did in playoffs versus their goals for and goals against.

There is a far stonger correlation between having amazing GAA than a great GF.

If you look at the 25 years of the streak, the times Detroit actually won the cups it was during some of their lowest GAA seasons.

Below are the seasons where Detroit allowed fewer than 200 goals against. Ignoring shortened seasons *Arrange by GAA
320 GF 181 GAA in 95-6, lost in Conference Finals to eventual winner
257 GF 184 GAA in 07-8 SC winner
253 GF 187 GAA in 01-2 SC winner
255 GF 189 GAA in 03-4 lost in second round
250 GF 196 GAA in 97-8 SC winner
253 GF 197 GAA in 96-7 SC winner
254 GF 199 GAA in 06-7 lost in Conference finals to SC winner

Morale of story, Defence wins Championships!

Great stuff thanks ...
No doubt we had some really great defensemen throughout the years. Just a little more puck luck Maybe lol.. Man we just needed a few more goals !!!!

Here are the past few SC winners.

2016: GAA 203 ranked 6 (Penguins)
2015: GAA 189 ranked 1 (Blackhawks)
2014: GAA 174 ranked 1 (Kings)
2013: GAA 102 ranked 1 (Blackhawks) **Note shortened season
2012: GAA 179 ranked 2 (Kings)
2011: GAA 195 ranked 3 (Bruins) **Canucks were ranked #1 lost in SC Finals

Great stuff thanks ...
No doubt we had some really great defensemen throughout the years. Just a little more puck luck Maybe lol.. Man we just needed a few more goals !!!!

No problem, I am autistic when it comes to looking at numbers.

The team that actually needed a few more goals this season was LA.

They are currently #3 in GAA with 191 and out of the playoffs. Next team not clinched playoff spot is Ottawa ranked #11 with 208 against. They might have actually clinched last night vs Detroit.

First non-playoff team is Tampa Bay ranked 17th with 222 against.

Detroit is #26 with 240 goals against.

If you take out the 20-30 goals DeKeyser/Ericsson scored on their own net maybe different story. :mad:

Back