Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 132 Tigers vs. rockies August 30, 2017

Verlander only at 98 pitches after 6, but still gets pulled anyway. I hope the bp can hold it.

Said he had a bit of Fatigue.. No worries he says.

"Justin Verlander felt a little fatigue in the back of his shoulder and called it a day early. Nothing to be concerned about or anything, he said, just the side effects of swinging the bat so well."

Before Wednesday?s game against the Rockies, catcher James McCann set a goal for teammate Justin Verlander.
?I said, ?Hey, today?s a National League game. Your goal is to drive in more than you let in,? ? McCann said.
After the game: ?Well, I ended up tying,? Verlander said.

Justin Verlander struck out nine over six commanding innings and aided his own cause by driving in his first career run and the Detroit Tigers beat the Colorado Rockies 6-2 on Wednesday.

?A couple of times when the inning ended with an at-bat, I found myself pretty gassed. I would like to have gone deeper.?

Verlander?s answer Wednesday to Coors Field and Denver?s air was to give physics its due and control what he could.
That meant lots of fastballs, which he consistently threw at 95, 96, and 97 mph. He offset them with a slider that was particularly comfortable.
?His slider today was one of the best I?ve seen from him,? McCann said.

Verlander (10-8) allowed one run and three hits. Verlander ignited the offense with an RBI single in the second the first of his career. ?It?s fun in my 12th year to have a first. It?s always fun.?
Prior to his 380th big league start Wednesday, Verlander was a career 3-for-40 with 20 strikeouts and no RBIs.

Verlander was outstanding, getting swings and misses, inducing soft contact and again deploying a sharp slider that gave hitters little to no chance at getting to him. He allowed one run and three hits ? a Charlie Blackmon home run in the sixth inning was his only blemish ? with one walk and nine strikeouts.

Always the perfectionist, he said: ?I would?ve liked to have gone deeper.?

Verlander was pulled after 98 pitches because he felt some fatigue in the back area, which he presumes was primarily from swinging but also from a combination of the altitude and dehydration.

Nicholas Castellanos added a solo homer and James McCann sealed the game with a three-run shot in the fifth to help Tigers take two of three from Colorado.

Verlander once again tamed Coors Field in his second career start at the hitter's park. He also tossed a four-hitter on June 19, 2011.

TRAINER'S ROOM
Tigers 1B Miguel Cabrera wasn't in the starting lineup for a second straight game with back tightness. He entered as a pinch-hitter in the eighth with the bases loaded and hit into a double play. ... LHP Daniel Norris (left groin strain) and RHP Anibal Sanchez (left hamstring strain) are each scheduled to make rehab starts Thursday.

Tigers SS Jose Iglesias finished 3 for 3 with three singles and a walk.

More offense came his way, with Nick Castellanos hitting his 19th home run ? a solo ? in the third inning and James McCann hitting his 13th ? a three-run shot ? in the fifth.

McCann?s homer was the ?big blow,? manager Brad Ausmus said, which gave Verlander plenty of run support for his 10th win. It came after he fell behind, 0-2, in the count.

But the star ? on the mound and at the plate ? was Verlander. Since the All-Star break, he is 5-2 with a 2.40 ERA and 78 strikeouts in 671/3 innings.

?The most impressive thing is he continues to maintain his velocity, even deep into games,? Ausmus said. ?He?s not 25 anymore.?

Drew VerHagen and Alex Wilson pitched a pair of shutout innings in relief ahead of Shane Greene allowing a run on a single and double in the ninth.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...082#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492082
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/verlanders-rbi-single/c-1789327683?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the rockies.

Verlander has come on strong as the season hits its home stretch. He is 5-1 with a 2.06 ERA in his last seven starts, striking out 56 in 48 innings, bringing his season record to 10-8 with a 3.82 ERA and he credits a "drastic adjustment" to his slider as the key to his recent success.

"The same slider I was throwing last year this year was a lot harder, 91, 92 [mph]," Verlander said. "I don't know whether it's baseballs or what. A little too firm. It wasn't doing much. I revamped it, went back to a more traditional slider, and since then it's been 85, 86, 88 when I really kind of hump up, but it's been great. I think speed variance gives me some ground balls and also more tendency to swing and miss."

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
Career first: Verlander not only impressed on the mound, but at the plate. The American League veteran got the Tigers on the board in the second inning with a run-scoring single up the middle, driving in catcher James McCann. It was Verlander's first RBI in his 13-year Major League career.

Career high: The Tigers led all afternoon, but McCann's three-run homer in the fifth gave the Tigers a 5-0 lead, padding Verlander's already-solid performance. McCann's long ball was his 13th of the year, breaking a tie with his previous career-best of 12 last season.

ROARS:
Justin Verlander - Must see JV was on display for his latest final start as a Tigers, again.

Nicholas Castellanos - Collected two extra base hits with a homer and a double.

James McCann, had only one hit but it was a big one, and more importantly against another RHP.

HISSES:
None. A series win is not to be skoffed at.

STREAKS AND INFO:
Verlander?s RBI in the second was his first career RBI in his eleven year MLB career. He now sits just 1,804 RBI behind Ty Cobb for the all time franchise lead.

Since July 8th, Verlander has put together eleven starts averaging just shy of even innings an outing and pitching to a 2.31 ERA.

With his 19th home run, Nicholas Castellanos reached a career high, surpasing his 18 dingerz last year.

Not sure why Miggy needed to PH when he's having back problems.. in a meaningless game.

Not sure why Miggy needed to PH when he's having back problems.. in a meaningless game.

at that point, the only bench players they had were Miggy, Kinsler and Presley. Bases loaded, only one out and you KNOW you aren't going to put him in the game...I think I would have done the same thing.

at that point, the only bench players they had were Miggy, Kinsler and Presley. Bases loaded, only one out and you KNOW you aren't going to put him in the game...I think I would have done the same thing.

Why? Let the guy rest.. Keep the pitcher in or use another pitcher to PH. His backs hurts week after week etc, but instead of resting him he keeps on playing and now according to Ausmus, it could be an injury that bothers him all career so lets PH in a meaningless game.. Is a W that important..

I agree with Mitch let the man rest start serving the damn 7 gamer already..all that ph at bat did was move him to 293 carrer Gidp's..stupid management and front office Buncha dumbasses

If miggy doesn't end up retiring early there are two categories I think he has a really good shot at becoming the new all time leader in

Doubles & GIDPS

Why? Let the guy rest.. Keep the pitcher in or use another pitcher to PH. His backs hurts week after week etc, but instead of resting him he keeps on playing and now according to Ausmus, it could be an injury that bothers him all career so lets PH in a meaningless game.. Is a W that important..

then shut him down for the year.

Back