Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best Tigers Game you went to at Briggs/Tiger Stadium / Comerica Park

Most memorable game I ever saw in Tiger Stadium was the 1971 All-Star Game. Sat two rows back of the NL bullpen. Jackson's HR seemed to go right over my head. Still the hardest-hit ball I have ever witnessed, with sound yet to be duplicated. It was rising when it hit the light transom. Bench and Aaron hit oppo shots deep into the RCF bleachers. It was windy. Joe Torre (3b) tracked a popup across the diamond and caught it near first-base on a full run.

Favorite Tiger game was September 18, 1971, where the Tigers beat Baltimore 2-1 and Lolich won his 25th game of the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET197109180.shtml

Tigers took a 2-0 lead and the Orioles closed to 2-1 with a homer in the 8th. Curt Motton blasted one into the LF upper deck. The guy was hitting .176 at the time. Palmer pitched for the Orioles, relieved by Pete Richart and Eddie Watt.

Lolich singled in the two runs after Eddie Brinkman was walked intentionally to load the bases. Lolich also had another hit in the game.

I pretty much peed my pants whenever F. Robinson (his name on his jersey) stepped in the box. He was an intimidating presence even from the box seats I was sitting in.

Last edited:
Best had to be the clincher in 1987, 1-0 Frank Tanana over Jimmy Key, Larry Herndon with the solo fence scraper homer to LF where I was sitting with my father.

Other memorable games include Trammell hitting two home runs off of Roger Clemens and the red sox. Watching Mark McGwire as a rookie in 1987 and seeing Reggie Jackson in his last game at Tiger Stadium. There were so many great games against the Blue jays in the early 90's when I was in high school, I miss that rivalry.

I was there in left field in 2006 when Magglio hit the walk off homer to finish the sweep and send us to the world series in the ALCS. Best 150 bucks i have ever spent on a ticket.... was upset that i might have over paid at first but THAT game was amazing and the party afterward was CRAZY to say the least.

Best game I've ever seen at Comerica is game 3 of the 2011 ALDS against the Yankees. Verlander was MVP that year and was filthy that game, I think he had like 12 Ks and we won on a go ahead hit in the 7th I believe from delmon young.

Close 2nd is also from 2011 against Texas in the regular season. We were up a few runs in the 8th and Benoit gave up 2 homers in the inning to piss it away. Boesch hit a solo shot in pouring rain in the bottom of the 8th to be the difference.

Only saw 1 game at The Corner sadly, I was too young, it closed when I was 7 so I went in the final year there for my first ever game in any sport. Lost to the white sox, I remember nothing about the game.

Last edited:
Sunday, August 11, 1968.
Tiger Stadium, upper deck seats in foul territory in right field.
Tigers vs. Red Sox.
Doubleheader.
Gates Brown with walk-off hits to win BOTH games.
Solo HR with two outs in the 14th inning to win Game 1.
Single in the ninth to win Game 2.
23 innings of baseball for a $3.50 ticket.
Memories = priceless.

Chris Pittaro opening day 1985 goes 3 for 4 with a rbi and a run and is proclaimed the next great tiger 3rd basemen. Tigers get thier 1984 rings start 6-0 in defense of the title finsh 84-77 in third place 15 games back..

I Have A Few Others too.
1.Gibby 2 Homer game verses Baltimore and my future wife missing both homers watching the crowd and talking... in a11-2 win Morris 7-4 beat Boddicker 10-2.
2. Richie Hebner doing something, and I cut my finger real bad at this game can't Remember The game.
3. Bleachers at tigers stadium.

COMERICA
When we moved back to michigan in 2004 and 5. Back to back losses.in boring pitching duel games. But we got a baseball in both games.

Last edited:
Briggs Stadium

The first game I saw there was about 1958. It was a night game and the dark blue sky was a natural dome. The three decks surrounding the diamond isolated you from the rest of the world. The bright lights on the field let you know where the action was. Sitting high in the lower deck, you learned to watch the game the way one should, watching the players and not the airborne baseballs. If you want to watch balls fly through the air, go to a golf match.

My first two or three games there was on Lutheran Night and usually Cleveland was in town. I remember Jimmy Piersall sitting at the base of the flag pole during a pitching change. I was there for the first game after Detroit traded manager Bob Sheffing to Cleveland for manager Joe Gordon.

Over the years, going to Tiger Stadium was always a unique and an enjoyable experience. The wooden seats bleached by the sun, drenched with Stroh's, and smoked by some of the finest cigars, created an ambiance like no other. Hank Aguirre was one of my favorite players. He was all arm and legs on the mound, and a horrible hitter in the batter's box. Fans would cheer wildly if he happened by chance to hit a foul ball.
Pitcher Earl Wilson however was often used as a pitch-hitter and hit about 30 homeruns in his career.

I remember Tater's, The Rock, and Harvey Kuenn's bulging cheek. I was there when The Bird had the worst outing of his career; something like a 14-1 loss to Hank Aaron and the Brewers the Friday night before Labor Day, 1976. My dad had been there in May 1927 when Johnny Nuen turned an unassisted triple-play.

This was all back when DH meant double-header and designated hitters didn't exist. We never drove six hours one way (before I-96) just to see one game. I rode a Church bus for Lutheran Nights. Double-header also meant two games for the price of one. There is no such think as a day-night double-header or a split double-header. Two games on the same day does not constitute a double-header.

All that being said, my most memorable game at the corner was June 29, 1962. Stormin' Norman rocketed one over the right field roof. You could tell by the hit, it had a chance. This was the only time I ran down to the end of the over-hang to see it sail over the roof. The game was part of a double-header.

There was much more to Tiger Stadium than four walls and a place to play baseball. You can keep your Comerica, I have no desire to remember the Tigers there.

Nice group of stories on Briggs/Tiger Stadium and the players Rounding Third.

Some of the posters here might recognize Taters with one of the other nicknames given to him as Mule or the Yankee Killer Frank Lary.

In 1960 that unusual trade of managers was Joe Gordon from the Indians to the Tigers for Jimmy Dykes.
iirc, Bob Scheffing managed beginning in 1961 with that great Tigers team that won 101 games and finished 8 back of the Yankees.

Your dad witnessed one heck of a play by Tigers first baseman Johnny Neun May 31.

Just a shame that Hank Aguirre didn't make the 1968 team.

A few short years after my family moved from Detroit in 1957 to Boston,
I saw first hand the Red Sox pitcher Earl Wilson at Fenway.
I was thrilled when the Tigers traded Don Demeter and Julio Navarro for Earl. I don't recall any other pitcher who could hit or should I say crush the ball like Earl. He never got cheated on a swing, much like Willie McCovey.
Whether he hit the ball or missed, he knocked the air out of the park with each swing.

I really can't remember a best day because there were so many, the ones with my Dad.. Now that he's gone I still have those memories. If I had to pick one it would be the last one, ST 2005 in Bradenton, FL Detroit vs Pittsburgh. I couldn't tell you one thing that happened that day but it was just me and my dad right before he got Alzheimer.. It's the one I remember..

In 1972 I attended both Opening Day and Game 5 of the ALCS vs Oakland both being losses. The Tigers lost the close game 2-1, when Tony Taylor flied out with a man on in the 9th. Despite losing the game and the series, the young, drunk, and rowdy Tigers fans in the lower decks knocked down the fences and swarmed onto the field, where the A's players were huddled together, celebrating.

Mostly oblivious to what was happening behind them, I soon noticed a Tigers fan approach the players, while shaking a can of soda-pop, that he must have snuck in to the stadium, then tap on Reggie Jackson's shoulder. When Jackson turned around, the kid pointed at and opened the can spraying him square in the face...lolz.

Reggie chased after him when the kid ran away, but didn't catch him, b/c by then the mounted cops and security had finally begun to round up and force the fans off the field, and one of them had caught up with and tackled the kid to the ground, and he was one of many who were caught before getting away by going too far from the stands.

Last edited:
In 1972 I attended both Opening Day and Game 5 of the ALCS vs Oakland both being losses. The Tigers lost the close game 2-1, when Tony Taylor flied out with a man on in the 9th. Despite losing the game and the series, the young, drunk, and rowdy Tigers fans in the lower decks knocked down the fences and swarmed onto the field, where the A's players were huddled together, celebrating.

Mostly oblivious to what was happening behind them, I soon noticed a Tigers fan approach the players, while shaking a can of soda-pop, that he must have snuck in to the stadium, then tap on Reggie Jackson's shoulder. When Jackson turned around, the kid pointed at and opened the can spraying him square in the face...lolz.

Reggie chased after him when the kid ran away, but didn't catch him, b/c by then the mounted cops and security had finally begun to round up and force the fans off the field, and one of them had caught up with and tackled the kid to the ground, and he was one of many who were caught before getting away by going too far from the stands.

Reggie was able to run and was on the field after ripping his hamstring in the 4th inning?

Reggie was able to run and was on the field after ripping his hamstring in the 4th inning?

Yeah, he was on the IF grass btw homeplate and the pitcher's mound, celebrating with his team-mates, when it happened, and he did try to chase and grab the kid, who briefly eluded security. I know what I saw that day.

May 18, 2019, 60th anniversary of the best Tigers game I saw in person.

Geezus, I have been an old man for a number of years and like everyone says, "Where did all the years go".

Enjoy your families while they are here, life is too short.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bump for the anniversary of the Best Tigers Game I/you went to at Briggs/Tiger Stadium / Comerica Park.

Back