Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 2 Thread

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup:
Jackson CF
Hunter RF
Cabrera 3B
Fielder 1B
Martinez DH
Peralta SS
Avila C
Infante 2B
Kelly LF
Scherzer P

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_10_13_detmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=331013102&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-boston-red-sox
Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 2 Preview.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28976/max-scherzer
Scherzer vs. redsox.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28855/clay-buchholz
Tigers Hitters vs. bucholz.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/detroit_tigers_gameday_jhonny_4.html
Detroit Tigers Gameday: Jhonny Peralta back at shortstop, Don Kelly gets start in left field in Game 2.
from Mlive

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/inde...1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=det
Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 2 Preview.
from the Tigers official site

Jhonny Peralta is back at shortstop tonight, which means Jose Iglesias will move to the bench. Tigers manager Jim Leyland called it a "pretty simple" decision, saying the move gave the Tigers the "best chance two win."
With Peralta at shortstop, Don Kelly will make his third start in left field this postseason. The move gives the Tigers another left-handed bat in their lineup with right-hander Clay Buchholtz set to start for Boston.
Iglesias can be used a late defensive replacement and a pinch-runner if needed tonight. Andy Dirks, Hernan Perez, Ramon Santiago and Brayan Pena are all available off the bench tonight, too.

Just as Jim Leyland did behind Justin Verlander in Game 5 of the AL Division Series, he has Jhonny Peralta at shortstop and Don Kelly in left field. Max Scherzer hasn’t pitched to strikeouts and fly balls to quite the same extreme as Verlander, but he’s in the same mold when he’s on. Considering how many sliders and breaking balls the Red Sox missed in Game 1, it’s an offensive tradeoff Leyland clearly felt was worth the risk.
That said, Leyland defended Peralta’s play at short in the interview room.
“Jhonny Peralta is no donkey. He’s made the All‑Star team twice for me as a shortstop in the last few years,” Leyland said. “He’s a very good shortstop. We’re trying to get another bat in there, and we felt it would be the best way to do it.
“Like I said, this guy is a bona fide Major League shortstop. This is not a utility guy you’re playing there. This is a topnotch shortstop. He doesn’t have the range [Jose] Iglesias has, but this is a very, very good shortstop.”
from JasonBeck'sTigersblog

Last edited:
Dirks must be getting very irritated. I like Kelly once in a while, but really?..Plus, Dirks is one of the few Tigers who has had success against Buchholz.

Last edited:
Doesn't Kelly have a .500 OBP in his limited at bats (6-8 ABs?) this post season?? Can't look it up right now, someone else would have to confirm. Might just be going with what's worked recently. They're both trash.

Doesn't Kelly have a .500 OBP in his limited at bats (6-8 ABs?) this post season?? Can't look it up right now, someone else would have to confirm. Might just be going with what's worked recently. They're both trash.

I know, I'm not a huge fan of Dirks, but he's 2-5 with a HR off of Buchholz.

Yes. 2-6 with 2 walks and 2 k's. .500 OBP.

Dirks is still the better player, though he is probably in JL's doghouse right now, but then again, half the team should be.

And if he's looking for extra left handed bats, Ajax should probably sit let Kelly play CF and Dirks LF. Bat Dirks or Infante leadoff.

seems no matter who and how you slice it, the Tigers bench is weak.

Non-action Jackson better go on a hot streak fast.

Umpires: HP: Rob Drake. 1B: Ron Kulpa. 2B: Alfonso Marquez. 3B: Dale Scott. LF: Dan Iassogna. RF: Joe West.

seems no matter who and how you slice it, the Tigers bench is weak.

Non-action Jackson better go on a hot streak fast.

I think they should put Jackson closer to the bottom of the order. Let somebody else have a chance at the leadoff.

Red Sox lineup:

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
RF Shane Victorino
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
1B Mike Carp
LF Jonny Gomes
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
SS Stephen Drew
3B Will Middlebrooks
SP Clay Buchholz

I think they should put Jackson closer to the bottom of the order. Let somebody else have a chance at the leadoff.

Two that come to mind would be Iggy and Omar, better runners and such, but neither gets on that well drawing walks or good obp. I don't think Leyland would do it yet.....maybe unless Jackson has a golden sombrero tonight.

Two that come to mind would be Iggy and Omar, better runners and such, but neither gets on that well drawing walks or good obp. I don't think Leyland would do it yet.....maybe unless Jackson has a golden sombrero tonight.

I'd go with Hunter. Simply move everyone else up and bat Jackson 6th. 7-9 would remain the same. Hunter is swinging like Garbage, too, but at least he isnt completely overmatched.

Dirks must be getting very irritated. I like Kelly once in a while, but really?..Plus, Dirks is one of the few Tigers who has had success against Buchholz.

Dirks hasn't exactly been a good much less a clutch performer for the Tigers this year, but It seems like Leyland is trying to give Kelly as many chances as possible to "find another postseason nut" and (however quite unlikely) help to win a ballgame, this despite his presence in the lineups killing faar more rallies than those that are continued or created.

Last edited:
Dirks hasn't exactly been a good much less aclutch performer for the Tigers thos year, but It seems like Leyland is trying to give Kelly as many chances as possible to "find another postseason nut" and (however quite unlikely) help to win a ballgame, this despite his presence in the lineups killing faar more rallies than those that are continued or created.

Leyland just has to go to the mirror to find a nut.

I don't believe the tigers and the lions have both won on the same day yet this year..let's get it on! Feel free to bitch and moan about the strike zone again all night boston

Last edited:

Striking out almost every AB at the first spot or the 9th wont change much. His defense has slipped to the point that it no longer makes up for his offensive shortcomings. And he's a terrible baserunner.

People have bitched all year about Avila, and Dirks, and Vmart (first half), but the guy who's killing us right now is Jackson.

Striking out almost every AB at the first spot or the 9th wont change much. His defense has slipped to the point that it no longer makes up for his offensive shortcomings. And he's a terrible baserunner.

People have bitched all year about Avila, and Dirks, and Vmart (first half), but the guy who's killing us right now is Jackson.

It seems impossible to win this series with our lead off hitter constantly striking out. Thank god we have great starting pitching.

Nice to see AJax leading off again. My god what the hell are you thinking Leyland, what else do you need to see to show that the guy should be batting 8th or 9th?

Ummm....this voice in my head is telling me crazy things.....like, Don Kelly should lead off tonight over KJax.

Too bad that ex-Tiger Gary Sheffield appeared to be such an unapproachable and self-centered egotistical creep on a nearly "Bondsian" level. His exceptional baserunning-stealing knowledge and skills might have been a valuable asset to the Tigers ballclub if they could have hired him as a special instructor-trainer during ST.

Back