Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii "I'd Die on the field"

tomdalton22

how about make the catch or get a fucking hit! We don't care that you'd "die on the field". And Prince....it is easier to catch a foul ball with your eyes OPEN!

Torri you wanted a chance to win a ws title, this is your chance, stop over swinging and get back to what you were doing in the regular season and inside out the damn thing!

Ps if it's 0-2 they aren't giving you anything in the strike zone! Take the damn 0-2 pitches FFS!

His angle to the ball reminded me of Brennan Boesch.

He overran it slightly because the ball was hooking back toward him slightly. It would have been a great catch, doable, but great. Let's face it, that ball was scalded.

He overran it slightly because the ball was hooking back toward him slightly. It would have been a great catch, doable, but great. Let's face it, that ball was scalded.

Hit hard no doubt be these guys catch thr line drives they can get to. He clearly got to that one, hard to say its an easy play but it shouldn't be that difficult for a mlb outfielder.

Hunter is a spazz out in right field. We shouldn't be bagging on him for not catching a ball that was hit 380 ft to straight away right field. That ball is long gone anywhere else. We should, however, be bagging on the decision to even pitch to Ortiz. If you're going to pitch to him, make sure everything is down and away or up and in. A first pitch 86 MPH changeup to David Ortiz? What the hell did they think would happen? There should have been more of a strategy on that, and that's where Leyland failed. Benoit should have been in the game, and it was the right move to bring him in.

Hunter is a spazz out in right field. We shouldn't be bagging on him for not catching a ball that was hit 380 ft to straight away right field. That ball is long gone anywhere else. We should, however, be bagging on the decision to even pitch to Ortiz. If you're going to pitch to him, make sure everything is down and away or up and in. A first pitch 86 MPH changeup to David Ortiz? What the hell did they think would happen? There should have been more of a strategy on that, and that's where Leyland failed. Benoit should have been in the game, and it was the right move to bring him in.

You must not have heard benoit say thay the pitch was supposed to be low and he left it up. Avila called a goos pitch, location was bad

You must not have heard benoit say thay the pitch was supposed to be low and he left it up. Avila called a goos pitch, location was bad
It was still poorly located even if it was low. Ortiz can hit a changeup down the middle or in, even if it's at the knees. I'm saying they should have stayed away with the soft stuff and came up and in on the hard stuff. That's common sense. You don't give him anything hittable without making him reach for it.

I guess we can all stew about this game until tomorrow or even beyond that. All it's going to do is cause more stress. This is the kind of game that we should be ignoring and moving on with. It was probably the worst loss this team has experienced in a very long time. Maybe even worse than Valverde's implosion against Oakland last postseason.

I think tomorrow is a must win as a result of yesterday, though. Stop the momentum. I'm not sure I trust Fister in game 4, though. He's been very shaky since July.

Lackey hasn't been great lately we "should" be able to get some runs off this bum

Last edited:
Lackey hasn't been great lately we "should" be able to get some runs off this bum

I think I'm just taking a sit and watch approach. This postseason has me so exhausted for some reason. For whatever reason, I just get stomach pains when I watch these games.

I think I'm just taking a sit and watch approach. This postseason has me so exhausted for some reason. For whatever reason, I just get stomach pains when I watch these games.

Yeah I hear ya on that one, I never really even got that upset last night and didn't have too much problems sleeping either..it's wierd it's almost like I don't care anymore or something...I know that can't be true so it must just be emotional exhaustion already...these post seasons are just so much longer now and more games are required to win it all etc... It all comes down to which team is more relaxed, not pressing and handles the big stage the best I think, up till the 8th inning last night that wasn't Boston...let's hope JV goes out there and squashes that and gets em all back to doing what they do best..bitching about the strike zone

I think he can do it

Last edited:
I think tomorrow is a must win as a result of yesterday, though. Stop the momentum. I'm not sure I trust Fister in game 4, though. He's been very shaky since July.

Maybe Fister can draw on the mental images of shutting them out in Boston Labor Day weekend.

Anyone bagging on Hunter for missing that ball has never tracked one in their lives. Torii took a poor angle to the ball because that was the only one that was afforded him. The wall itself prevented him from taking the proper one, causing him to intersect the path of the ball sooner than expected, which is why he overran it. The proper angle would have caused him to run into the wall several feet to the right of where he flipped over it, giving him no chance to catch the ball at all. And then we'd hear "what the hell was he thinking?"The proper angle should have taken him on an approximate NW vector by the compass, but the wall forced him to go more west than NW.

Last edited:
Anyone bagging on Hunter for missing that ball has never tracked one in their lives. Torii took a poor angle to the ball because that was the only one that was afforded him. The wall itself prevented him from taking the proper one, causing him to intersect the path of the ball sooner than expected, which is why he overran it. The proper angle would have caused him to run into the wall several feet to the right of where he flipped over it, giving him no chance to catch the ball at all. And then we'd hear "what the hell was he thinking?"The proper angle should have taken him on an approximate NW vector by the compass, but the wall forced him to go more west than NW.

watch it again...it was a bad angle. I'm not saying it was an easy catch but he over ran the ball by at least 2'-4' because he had to reach back as far as he could and the ball still went at least 1' behind his glove. Again...very difficult catch but the main reason he went over the wall was because he over ran the ball.

watch it again...it was a bad angle. I'm not saying it was an easy catch but he over ran the ball by at least 2'-4' because he had to reach back as far as he could and the ball still went at least 1' behind his glove. Again...very difficult catch but the main reason he went over the wall was because he over ran the ball.

Did you even read what I wrote?

yes and I disagree with your opinion. Watch it again.

My observation is based on what I watched. Linear Optical Trajectory. It's how fielders track fly balls. The premise is that outfielders in particular seek to keep the ball in a straight line in their vision as they track a ball in flight. They take a path to maintain that line. There are an infinite number of paths to take, but there is also a best one. Hunter was not able to take the optimal one because of the wall. The geometry is in plain sight.

The ball was torched and those low liners can be the hardest to judge Torri made a great attempt and almost had it to, I'm more concerned with his bat right now than his fielding ability.

Back