Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 3 Thread

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup:
Jackson CF
Hunter RF
Cabrera 3B
Fielder 1B
Martinez DH
Peralta SS
Avila C
Infante 2B
Dirks LF
Verlander P

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_10_15_bosmlb_detmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=331015106&teams=boston-red-sox-vs-detroit-tigers
Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 3 Preview.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6341/justin-verlander
Verlander vs. redsox. 28 for 144, 17 bb 42 K's, .194 .273 .313 .585

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/5203/john-lackey
Tigers Hitters vs. lackey. 60 for 196, 11 BB 41 k's, .306 .354 .439 .793

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/detroit_tigers_gameday_jhonny_5.html
Detroit Tigers Gameday: Andy Dirks makes first start since Game 1 of ALDS, Jhonny Peralta back at short.
from Mlive

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/inde...1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=det
Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 3 Preview.
from the Tigers official site

The Red Sox have dropped 4 straight Game 3’s beginning with the 2008 ALDS. The club is 2-7 all-time in the 3rd game of an ALCS (1-4 on road).

As Jim Leyland announced yesterday, Andy Dirks is back in left field. He’s batting ninth today only because he likes Alex Avila batting more towards the seventh spot the way he’s swinging. Remember, Dirks hit 6th or 7th for a good portion of the season.
As for why Dirks wouldn’t bat higher, Leyland indicated he’s not going to change the top of the order. He liked some of the swings he saw from Austin Jackson in Game 2, and he’s not moving Torii Hunter out of the two spot.
from JasonBeck'sTigersblog

Last edited:
Really glad it is an afternoon game. I can't ever sleep after these night games either because I am too excited or too angry. I really think this is a must win game after the way game 2 went. No guarantees with JV but he has been pitching very well and I think the real JV has finally stood up. I am finally back to the point where he is the starter that I have the most confidence in. In a huge reach at finding a silver lining after Sunday's debacle I think I may have found something. Maybe, if the Tigers get back on track, this prolongs the series a little bit so they are not sitting around for a week + like in recent years. I know it is a reach but gotta keep the faith.

Really glad it is an afternoon game. I can't ever sleep after these night games either because I am too excited or too angry. I really think this is a must win game after the way game 2 went. No guarantees with JV but he has been pitching very well and I think the real JV has finally stood up. I am finally back to the point where he is the starter that I have the most confidence in. In a huge reach at finding a silver lining after Sunday's debacle I think I may have found something. Maybe, if the Tigers get back on track, this prolongs the series a little bit so they are not sitting around for a week + like in recent years. I know it is a reach but gotta keep the faith.

i'm with you on that, these losses piss me off and I can't go to sleep no matter how tired I am.

this series is still advantage Detroit, we have a good pitching matchup today, not as much tomorrow, peavey seems to have our number. the good thing is that cabby is starting to move better and have better swings, that makes a huge difference. the line out to CF was the hardest hit ball he's had in a month.

Leyland says the series should be 1-1 anyway. Because the Red Sox should have won Game One. Someone please explain that.

wuuuuh, whatjutalkin bout smoker.

Maybe it's because Tigers' pitching only struck out 17 Red Sox and gave up that one hit.

@freepsports: "The series is probably where it should be." -- Jim Leyland

And I heard it myself on a video clip. But I don't want to judge too harshly. I'll let his players do that for me. Were I a player, I'd ask him what drugs he's on and will he share them.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because Tigers' pitching only struck out 17 Red Sox and gave up that one hit.

@freepsports: "The series is probably where it should be." -- Jim Leyland

And I heard it myself on a video clip. But I don't want to judge too harshly. I'll let his players do that for me. Were I a player, I'd ask him what drugs he's on and will he share them.

Obviously we all know that is a full of shit statement. He's just trying to calm everybody down about game 2, even though it's probably a futile effort.

Red Sox lineup:

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
RF Shane Victorino
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
1B Mike Napoli
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
LF Jonny Gomes
SS Stephen Drew
3B Will Middlebrooks

Obviously we all know that is a full of shit statement. He's just trying to calm everybody down about game 2, even though it's probably a futile effort.

No, I speculate he's trying to minimize the magnitude of the loss in his own head. I don't know why he considers himself as the one responsible for soothing our own shattered psyches.

No, I speculate he's trying to minimize the magnitude of the loss in his own head. I don't know why he considers himself as the one responsible for soothing our own shattered psyches.

Yea whatever he's trying to do I don't think anybody's buying it haha.

let's hope JP has another big game, just to piss the socks off more. Peter gammons reported that a bunch of red sox players are complaining privately about him playing after the PED suspension.

let's hope JP has another big game, just to piss the socks off more. Peter gammons reported that a bunch of red sox players are complaining privately about him playing after the PED suspension.

I'm sure they had no problem when Ortiz and Manny were helping them win world series.

I wonder how many Sox were Juicing in 2004 and 2007. Ortiz was for certain. Banny Man-Boobies, too. Sox should stuff their nick-name sake in their yaps. If they can find them through their beards.

Last edited:

Red Sox players never took PEDs...well except for the guy that hit the grand slam in game 2!

Leyland on bullpen decisions: "I was either wrong twice, and it worked out once, or I was right twice, and it didn't work out once".

OPS & PA, 2013 BOS vs power pitchers:
Ortiz .822 105
Pedroia .820 126
Victorino .781 85
Gomes .714 77
Napoli .670 92
Nava .637 95

Tigers are 10-4 in previous 14 ALCS home games, have won six of last seven here in Detroit.

Tigers are 6-0 in Game 3 of an ALCS (1972/A's, 3-0; 1984/KC, 2-1; 1987/MIN, 7-6; 2006/A's, 3-0; 2011/TEX, 5-2; 2012/NY, 2-1).

Tigers pitchers have struck out 32 batters (17, 15) in first two games of ALCS, a new posteason record.
Old: tie 1996 Indians, 1997 Orioles.

Game 3 information:
Lance Parrish, a six-time All-Star for the Tigers who played for the 1984 team that won the World Series, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch tonight.
The Four Tops will sing the national anthem.
All fans will receive a Detroit Tigers rally towel.
The game ball will be delivered to the mound by Hospital Corpsman Second Class Matthew Pukey of the U.S. Navy. Pukey, who is from Sterling Heights, served two combat deployments in Afghanistan and also served at naval hospitals in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Camp Lejune, N.C.
The weather forecast for tonight calls for temperatures in the mid-60s for first pitch. There will be a chance of rain developing later in the evening.

Last edited:

Just more Boston whining what else is new, he severed his time, move on...I'd be shocked if big angry guy is any different

Last edited:
If I didn't like Boston before...I do now...bunch of damn whinny bitches!

Last edited:
Back