Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland retires....Now voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

boogerlovejoy

Fox Sports says Leyland is stepping down.

If it's true......thanks JL!

Class guy!

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who's team bowed out of the ALCS on Saturday, is stepping down, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.

Sources: Leyland stepping down as #Tigers manager. Told team after end of ALCS. Team has called news conference for 11:30 AM ET.

— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) October 21, 2013
More to come.

I just hope they go outside the current staff for a replacement. My fear is they wont.

I just hope they go outside the current staff for a replacement. My fear is they wont.

I bet they do, I just wonder if they are going to go to someone with organizational ties or not. they always seem to do that, maybe someone from the marlins back when DD was there.

I really hope they would go young with someone who isn't as influenced by incorrect conventional wisdom, maybe someone from Maddon's staff in TB

Good decision

Now Please don't go and do anything stupid like hire dusty baker or promot Lloyd

Tia

Last edited:
Good for Smokes. Always likes him, but often disagreed with him.

I'm surprised he is resigning like this. Say what you want about Jim, but he helped bring us some good baseball memories during his tenure.

Hopefully Gibby is our guy to replace Jim.

Didnt think i would but i will miss ole Jimmy! DD please dont hire from his staff! If it was last year we could have got Francona!

Seems like Jim had his decision in mind well in advance if he told the team right after losing game 6. I wish him the best and want to thank him for everything he did for the organization. I'm only 28 (didn't start watching until I was about 10) so the only success I've seen the Tigers have is under Jim Leyland's watch. I still remember his first season when he called out the team early in the year after losing a series to Cleveland. He was the right guy at the time, and he did his job well.

It is time for a change though. I too hope they look outside the organization.

Thanks for the memories Jim! 4 ALCs and two World series appearances. Brought this team to another level, now might be the time for someone else to finish the job.

Say what we want about Leyland as an in game manager, there is plenty to complain about, but one thing about Jim is he never had any locker room problems and if he did, he kept it 100% in house. Not once can I remember negativity escaping the locker room. That's incredibly hard to do in today's instant media environment. Jim ran a great clubhouse.

This team is right on the edge of a title, the right manager can get us there.

Back