Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland retires....Now voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

I don't want Gibby, or any of our current coaches. And no retreads. I'm afraid I'm going to hate our new Manager.

I agree

I don't want any of these coaches under Leyland promoted, nor do I want any "loyalty hires". Start with a solid list and hire the best candidate. It should be that simple, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them hire somebody sub-par.

JL was a class act and I will miss him. I have always thought he has been a good manager for the Tigers, not a great manager. The only way this is a good thing is if he is replaced with a very good or great manager. There aren't a lot of those around. Managers don't make a huge difference in record during the course of the year but they do make a difference in the way a team plays. Please don't hire a scrub.

He'd better stay with the organization so he can come down to the field after games and show off that moonwalk move again. :)

Today for sure is a sad day to see Leyland step down although a move within the organization was probably the right move to try and inject some more energy into the team.

However I think some of our worse fears may come to fruition as it's being noted the 2 leading candidates will be none other than Lloyd McClendon and Gene Lamont which in my honest opinion would be a HORRIBLE move for this team going forward.

I don't want Gibby, or any of our current coaches. And no retreads. I'm afraid I'm going to hate our new Manager.

About 90% of the fans will hate the new manager after a year. Theyll give him a chanc for a year and then second guess everything

I remember when Leyland was hired by the Rockies and a local radio station had him on about the breaking news.

He was clearly hammered.

Classic old school baseball guy and very fitting in Detroit. Sitting in Phoenix now where Kirk Gibson is adored, wondering too if he'd be interested (though not as experienced)

Bye Jimmy!! I wanted you gone for a while now. You couldn't get the job done and now it's time to go!! I'm not gonna bash ya but buhbye!!

That's about as nice as i'll get on the subject. Be grateful ;)

About 90% of the fans will hate the new manager after a year. Theyll give him a chanc for a year and then second guess everything

That one-note take is flatter than the posts of the people who questioned Leyland, much of the time justified. Or maybe you are the prescient type.

That one-note take is flatter than the posts of the people who questioned Leyland, much of the time justified. Or maybe you are the prescient type.

Unfortunately it's the truth. Maybe a little nice giving it a year.

I want.....
1) ex-Tiger Torey Lovullo (if it's a minor league-only experience manager)
2) Bob Brenly (if it's an experienced, currently unemployed manager)
3) Torii Hunter (if it's a player-manager)

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's the truth. Maybe a little nice giving it a year.

I always thought the people who screamed for him to be fired and such should be careful what they wish for, they might just get it.

So now love him or hate him, or be indifferent like me, Jim is gone, and a year from now we might not be all that glad that he is.

also, I always though Kenny Rogers would make a good pitching coach or even a manager, anyone know if he has any experience?

also, I always though Kenny Rogers would make a good pitching coach or even a manager, anyone know if he has any experience?

He pitched at the MLB level.

Last edited:
Please no McClendon or Lamont...pleeease!!

It will likely be someone who nobody thought of, is my guess...

Oh yeah, Goodbye Jimmy!! I wish that you could have managed a championship team for the city of Detroit, Michigan, and Tigers fans around the world, but it just wasn't in the "Cards"

As long as he was manager I think that his bad habit of smoking was easier to ignore, and the stress and distraction that baseball provided was a welcome and convenient excuse, but now that he is retiring, his likely worsening short and long term health may demand more and more of his attention. He needs to quit, but might think that it is too late now and won't matter if he does or doesn't..

Wonder if Rogo will create a DD snark where he interviews managerial candidates amongst them being Brandon Inge, Donnie Kelly, Craig Monroe, Jeremy Bonderman, and Gary Sheffield.

I kinda wonder how Carlos Guillen would do as Tiger manager, if they gave a former player with no experience a shot, probably very unlikely but intriguing. Maqglio Ordonez as his hitting coach, Carlos Pena 1B coach, Kenny Rogers pitching coach, Todd Jones or Mariano Rivera BP coach Brandon Inge 3B coach, and Placido Polanco as bench coach (yeah I know that Inge, Pena, and Polanco are not"retired" yet, but all might not get any contract offers)

Last edited:
Oh, and here I thought he was just a Country/Western singer, Fried Chicken Restaurant Entrepreneur, and a friend of Dolly Parton. :ashamed:

I was being obtuse. Some managers didn't have coaching experience before becoming a manager. Sometimes, someone who doesn't know what he is doing is better than someone who thinks he does (but really doesn't).

I was being obtuse. Some managers didn't have coaching experience before becoming a manager. Sometimes, someone who doesn't know what he is doing is better than someone who thinks he does (but really doesn't).

I know. So I decided to be sarcastic.

They could always pull Craig Monroe off the FSD broadcast... He sure dresses sharp...I remember that bomb he hit in Yankee stadium in the 2006 playoffs with fond memoirs. Not sure why that homer sticks out in my head right now.. Maybe it was Comerica...I forget and I am to tired to look it up he hit two that series right?

Last edited:
Back