Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who do you want as the next manager?

Who do you want as the next manager?

• Total voters

grandy

Here's a list of candidate names that are popping up.

To be clear, this is who you want to be the manager, not necessarily who you think will be the next manager.

You can select multiple candidates if you have no clear cut favorite.

If you want you can also post who you definitely don't want the Tigers to hire.

(List pulled from here)

honestly, none of those options seem very appealing. Is there truly nobody else that is available? If I had to pick out of that list, I'd go with Ausmus. Maybe he's not all that experienced, but he does command respect. Even when he wasn't playing well, it seemed that everyone on the team looked up to him.

honestly, none of those options seem very appealing. Is there truly nobody else that is available? If I had to pick out of that list, I'd go with Ausmus. Maybe he's not all that experienced, but he does command respect. Even when he wasn't playing well, it seemed that everyone on the team looked up to him.

I've heard some other names thrown around...Gibson, LaRussa, Manuel, Mattingly, Maddon, to name a few, but according to the gamblers, those 9 have the highest chance.

I'm actually curious to see if any Tiger fan on this planet wants McClendon or Lamont promoted.

Last edited:
I know he's under contract with AZ, but I'd like to see if Gibby can be pried loose.

Not sure maybe TBR's bench coach Dave Martinez or perhaps Ausmus..don't want and very unlikely to get current team managers like Gibby, Maddon, Scioscia, Gardenhire...How about VMart as player/manager? I still like Carlos Guillen if w/o managing experience, but dunno if he would be interested. With the amount of Latinos on the team, perhaps a Latino bench coach if not a manager, makes a lot of sense. Whoever gets selected, I hope has a black and latino coach on his staff. Also hoping for a MUCH better hitting coach than Llegendary Lloyd, which really shouldn't be all that hard to do. Same with having a competent 3B and respectable BP/pitching coaches. Would Mariano Rivera be competent, qualified and interested in returning to MLB as a BP coach? Will the new manager want to retain Jeff Jones as his pitching coach?

Too bad that Gary Sheffield does not appear to be the type of person or have the temperament who could teach his baserunning/stealing skills, as a temporary ST hire each preseason.

Last edited:
Jim Leyland.

Yeah, this is true. I thought he was coming back for 2014 and 'Then' retire.
The devil you know is better than the one you don't know.
I think all of us at one time or other got BS at his lineups, bullpen management, sticking with players we could see weren't getting it done, bunting, but he still did an overall excellent job managing the team of players/egos that he had to work with.
Jim didn't demand the players' respect.... he earned it.

Going forward....I think the best out of all the choices, (who aren't with another team like Gibson, etc.) would be Ausmus, Brookens, Lovullo, Pena, and maybe not necessarily in that order.

The thing none of us know is the relationship that McClendon and Lamont have with the current players....mostly the star players. The job is mostly about managing personalities.

I like the thought of a player-manager, I think it's time this game had another player-manager. Would Victor make a good manager? Torri? I like Victor, he's freaking great.

I like the thought of a player-manager, I think it's time this game had another player-manager. Would Victor make a good manager? Torri? I like Victor, he's freaking great.

I think there is a good reason that there hasn't been a player manager in baseball in decades....It doesn't work

ok tom thanks for disagreeing again.

I wasn't trying to be a prick....I just don't think with today's athlete that it would work personality wise. There are way to many egos to have a player manager in today's game. Just my opinion.

I wasn't trying to be a prick....I just don't think with today's athlete that it would work personality wise. There are way to many egos to have a player manager in today's game. Just my opinion.

I'm trying to recall anything over the last few months I've said that you have agreed with it.

Not only that, but the game is much more complicated than it used to be. The only scenario I could ever see working is if the manager was a bench player who rarely enters the game.

Gibson is already on record saying he in not interested in the Tigers managerial job.

The thing none of us know is the relationship that McClendon and Lamont have with the current players....mostly the star players. The job is mostly about managing personalities.

That's part of the reason I said Leyland. Because when was the last time a guy from outside an organization came in to a successful winning team, and kept it that way?

If I were a betting man I would bet that one of the 3 Leyland guys gets the offer first. [Lamont, McClendon, Brookens]

Otherwise you're asking someone to come in and change the whole dynamic, and since the dynamic was winning....even though some people don't consider not winning it all to be winning, there is a good chance it backfires. Look at Boston, they were not a terrible team when Francona was shown the door...they just got lazy, in steps Bobby V, and he begins by shitting all over everything....and Boston was a laughing stock that sold off half their talent.

So if we are going to end up with one of the 3 ugly stepsisters anyways, I'd rather just have Leyland.

Back