Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who do you want as the next manager?

Who do you want as the next manager?

• Total voters
The thing none of us know is the relationship that McClendon and Lamont have with the current players....mostly the star players. The job is mostly about managing personalities.

I listened to an interview with Lamont today and he said he does not expect to be a candidate. He thought McClendon would get possible consideration.

I don't think we need a long term solution for a manger right now....maybe just a 2 year guy? I really have no clue but I heard someone mention Tony LaRussa and I thought that was interesting as hell. Don't think it would happen, but it's more intriguing to me then any of the other names I've heard.

Last edited:
Making Victor player manager makes sense b/c it might extend his playing years and he would remain a Tiger beyond the end of his current 4 year contract which expires at the end of next season. He seems to possess the leadership qualities necessary to manage a team of mostly highly paid veterans, and obviously has demonstrated that he is worthy of commanding respect from his teammates and in fact has earned it by his performances @ the plate and on the field. Being the Tigers mostly FT DH means that he would not often be on the field unless the usual 1B in Fielder is given a "rest" by playing @ DH.

If anyone could convince/order Prince to get in better shape and take a game or two off every month or two during next season, I think that Victor is the one potential manager who could do it w/o ruffling Princess' feathers or wrinkling his gown...especially if he goes into a slump or becomes injured but not badly enough to miss a small amount of time, if not go on the 30 day DL. Seems like it would be much more difficult for Fielder to balk at or protest his "suggestion" than it would with a new manager who has never or long ago played the game, or a new but seasoned manager who obviously will not (as yet) be familiar with the players and their clubhouse "atmosphere-pecking order"

I think any of us would be obviously overjoyed if there was a way he could by pried from Tampa.

Castellanos and/or Iglesias, and/or Smyly, and/or Porcello plus cash and/or prospects might do the trick...:shrug:

I think Joe Maddon is a great manager but I don't believe he would be a good fit here given this roster.

I would like Gardenhire or Charlie Manuel.

I think Joe Maddon is a great manager but I don't believe he would be a good fit here given this roster.

I would like Gardenhire or Charlie Manuel.

if there is a manager that can make fat pieces of shit hit in the postseason...we should go get them....cause were stuck with one for like 10 years.

Last edited:
Carefull what you wish for. And now the time has come what a many on this board has ask for. I've always ask who would replace Leyland. I was a Bucky show wanter but he's taken. Really there are not too many IMO that are MLB ready for a team that needs to win NOW! I would say that Charlie Manuel would be on the list. Ozzie Gee could the tigers put up with him? Cal Ripkens has been mention lately. Not sure I would want an untested manager for this team. Tony LaRussa, not likely. Too close to Leyland IMO. But yea I would take him first. Of those listed on the list Brookens Ausmus and Acta are the top 3 IMO.

There a number of want a bees on this board. Lord knows how many lineups have been posted! U been askingfor change. Here your chance. Not sure who the front runner is out of this group? BTW I've got two years till I can retire from my day job. I would want better OBP players, That K less to hit in front of Cabrera and Fielder, bench players and reliefers that do throw strikes. Not sure DD and I could get along.
Too be honest there are a few ESPN knowitalls that should interview.
How about manager by commitee Lloyd Tom and Gene could take turns.
Player/manager draw name out of hat.
He done ever thing else DON KELLY The dawn of Donnie baseball.

Yea carefull what you ask for. And this has got to get done asap free agent season is just a Would Series away.

Out of the list; Pena, Ausmus, or Brookens. On a slightly related note anyone know why Sweet Lou and the Tigers parted ways with his hitting instruction in Spring Training? Maybe it's nostalgia (and the fact that he's my favorite player), but I'd like to see him back with the organization and would like to think he'd do a marvelous job in Legendary Lloyd's role.

The available list of realistic manager candidates makes me flaccid beyond belief.

Fortunately I'm of the belief that there are very few managers that have a drastic impact on a baseball team. So I don't really care.

Ozzie Gullien ...The guy is something. imagine his interviews about Prince.. Not sure who I really want now..

I had a good laugh at this post from Brainpinky over at MLive

"BREAKING NEWS-October 22, 2013

Detroit-Dave Dombrowski, general manager for the Detroit Tigers, shocks the world again by naming the Detroit Tigers' fanbase as the team's next manager. Starting in Spring Training 2014, the baseball team will become the first major professional sports team to make all on-field decisions through the social media platform, Twitter. While the logistics of getting signs to the players on the field without tipping off the opposing teams are still being hashed out behind closed doors at Dombrowski's secret lair located somewhere in the Midwest, team officials with intimate knowledge of the discussions are confident in the ability of the fans to make the right calls.

"This is the wave of the future. I am sick of hearing about Joe Maddon and that guy in Oakland being the future of the game," says Dombrowski speaking over a secure line from his fortress of baseballtude. "We are going to change the way teams play right here in Detroit."

The general manager acknowledges obvious challenges to address before the fans can take over the play-calling. Most notably, if a power station blows up, as happened recently outside the Tigers' home stadium, fans would not be able to vote on what pitches to throw next. The team remains confident all of these issues will be worked out long before pitchers and catchers report in a little bit more than 3 months."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/gene_lamont_past_experience_wo.html

I had a good laugh at this post from Brainpinky over at MLive

"BREAKING NEWS-October 22, 2013

Detroit-Dave Dombrowski, general manager for the Detroit Tigers, shocks the world again by naming the Detroit Tigers' fanbase as the team's next manager. Starting in Spring Training 2014, the baseball team will become the first major professional sports team to make all on-field decisions through the social media platform, Twitter. While the logistics of getting signs to the players on the field without tipping off the opposing teams are still being hashed out behind closed doors at Dombrowski's secret lair located somewhere in the Midwest, team officials with intimate knowledge of the discussions are confident in the ability of the fans to make the right calls.

"This is the wave of the future. I am sick of hearing about Joe Maddon and that guy in Oakland being the future of the game," says Dombrowski speaking over a secure line from his fortress of baseballtude. "We are going to change the way teams play right here in Detroit."

The general manager acknowledges obvious challenges to address before the fans can take over the play-calling. Most notably, if a power station blows up, as happened recently outside the Tigers' home stadium, fans would not be able to vote on what pitches to throw next. The team remains confident all of these issues will be worked out long before pitchers and catchers report in a little bit more than 3 months."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/gene_lamont_past_experience_wo.html

That is hilarious, sounds like the guy writes for The Onion

In order to play Martinez baseball, we need a noticeable change in our batting roster. Martinez also has questionable skills in player / media communications.

Latest rumor has Legendary Lloyd taking over and Carlos Guillen as hitting coach..... remaining Leyland staff staying-put. It seems Dombrowski is trying to keep a good thing intact.

My choice is to make sweeping changes in field management. Everyone but Jeff Jones and Raphael Belliard should be gone. The new wave in MLB is not rehiring former MLB managers and it appears to be working.

My choices are "new school"
Torey Lovullo ( MiLB manager / MLB coach)
Jason Giambi ( no experience, but soon a MLB manager somewhere)
Torii Hunter (player-manager this season)

Theres some speculation going round that the reason there havent been any interviews or anything yet because DD might be interested in a coach on the sox or cards, like Tony Lovullo.

Is Tony Torey's brother?

Dave said he had to meet with Ilitch first. That either just happened, or its on the docket to happen today or tomorrow.

Back