Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who do you want as the next manager?

Who do you want as the next manager?

• Total voters
Tony the Tiger. He's Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! It would be perfect to have a cartoon tiger be the captain of our ball club.

I had a good laugh at this post from Brainpinky over at MLive

"BREAKING NEWS-October 22, 2013

Detroit-Dave Dombrowski, general manager for the Detroit Tigers, shocks the world again by naming the Detroit Tigers' fanbase as the team's next manager. Starting in Spring Training 2014, the baseball team will become the first major professional sports team to make all on-field decisions through the social media platform, Twitter. While the logistics of getting signs to the players on the field without tipping off the opposing teams are still being hashed out behind closed doors at Dombrowski's secret lair located somewhere in the Midwest, team officials with intimate knowledge of the discussions are confident in the ability of the fans to make the right calls.

"This is the wave of the future. I am sick of hearing about Joe Maddon and that guy in Oakland being the future of the game," says Dombrowski speaking over a secure line from his fortress of baseballtude. "We are going to change the way teams play right here in Detroit."

The general manager acknowledges obvious challenges to address before the fans can take over the play-calling. Most notably, if a power station blows up, as happened recently outside the Tigers' home stadium, fans would not be able to vote on what pitches to throw next. The team remains confident all of these issues will be worked out long before pitchers and catchers report in a little bit more than 3 months."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/gene_lamont_past_experience_wo.html

very interesting.....all in game moves are done by a real time poll on facebook lol. i bet we could out manage alot of the guys out there lol. Poor phil coke would have to wait til a 16 inning marathon to get in a game....assuming donnie baseball has already reached his max pitch count for the game.

very interesting.....all in game moves are done by a real time poll on facebook lol. i bet we could out manage alot of the guys out there lol. Poor phil coke would have to wait til a 16 inning marathon to get in a game....assuming donnie baseball has already reached his max pitch count for the game.

JV to facebook : "hi facebook, its the 7th inning....i dont think my arm is going to mkae it much longer."

Facebooks respone: "STFU JV....get out there...you really want them bullpen comming in? Do you not remember the entire 2013 playoffs? Ya, you no longer have a pitch count when you make as much money as you do. Have fun....and remember....its just a game."

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/10...ice-to-be-the-next-tigers-manager-a-flowchart

Flowchart for picking the next manager

From Blessyouboys via KC's twitter

who_is_your_choice_for_next_Tigers_manager.jpg

That's awesome, apparently I'm ok with Lloyd

Idk does this assume MR I is still going to give it one last year to work before rebuilding sets in?

That's awesome, apparently I'm ok with Lloyd

Idk does this assume MR I is still going to give it one last year to work before rebuilding sets in?

Being OK with Lloyd is fine. But what you're missing is - by being OK with Lloyd, you are also OK with the remaining Leyland staff returning.

All that would likely change is hiring another hitting coach (Carlos Guillen rumored).

This is the way Dombrowski is leaning today. He does not want to rock the Tigers success boat of the past few years.

Last edited:
Being OK with Lloyd is fine. But what you're missing is - by being OK with Lloyd, you are also OK with the remaining Leyland staff returning.

All that would likely change is hiring another hitting coach (Carlos Guillen rumored).

This is the way Dombrowski is leaning today. He does not want to rock the Tigers success boat of the past few years.

Hey that was just based on the flow chart, but as tom pointed out the flow chart might have a bug..LOL

And by success you mean some of the starting pitching staff and 2 guys on offense, yeah I'd like to see those 6 stay togeather for one last go at it..

Last edited:
Dombrowski has alot of work this winter. Manager, possible staff... then change the roster by 8-9 guys.
Two outfielders (needed)
One infielder
One utility infielder
One backup catcher
3-4 bullpen guys (needed)

But he might catch a break with VMart. Martinez must be nervous knowing his contract is about to expire. Will VMart audition for backup catcher and open-up a roster spot somewhere else?

Unless Martinez feels he can get real good money and years being listed on the free agent market as a DH-only, then he may want to return to catching part-time in 2013 -- thus eliminating Dombrowski's need to replace Brayan Pena.

Last edited:
Dombrowski has alot of work this winter. Manager, possible staff... then change the roster by 8-9 guys.
Two outfielders (needed)
One infielder
One utility infielder
One backup catcher
3-4 bullpen guys (needed)

But he might catch a break with VMart. Martinez must be nervous knowing his contract is about to expire. Will VMart audition for backup catcher and open-up a roster spot somewhere else?

Unless Martinez feels he can get real good money and years being listed on the free agent market as a DH-only, then he may want to return to catching part-time in 2013 -- thus eliminating Dombrowski's need to replace Brayan Pena.

As far as everyday players he only needs to replace the 2B. They should fix the problem at LF but I'll bet it will be another platoon with Dirks. Backup catcher is a need but not a huge problem. The bullpen is the biggest issue behind 2B.

I would love to see him shake this roster up making some BIG changes with one big trade or two but I doubt he will do that.

Actually I was thinking of replacing Tui and Kelly.

Nobody in the fan base knew Dirks played hurt all season. So a rebound from Andy could occur.

I suppose every team needs a Kelly-type. But does it have to be him? :no:

Last edited:
Actually I was thinking of replacing Tui and Kelly.

Nobody in the fan base knew Dirks played hurt all season. So a rebound from Andy could occur.

I suppose every team needs a Kelly-type. But does it have to be him? :no:

It doesn't have to be him but it will most likely be the same type of production as his.

Back