Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tiger managerial candidates (MLB Network)

tycobb420

Dusty Baker
Don Mattingly
Tom Brookens
Legendary Lloyd
Tony Pena

Man slim pickens really when you consider. I really don't like ANYONE on that list of candidates.

Mattingly is also tied to the Washington job. I am sure more names will surface. It sounds like DD wants someone by Halloween b/c the coaches contracts are up.

Dusty Baker: He is basically a watered down African-American version of Jimmy Leyland...DO.NOT.WANT.
Don Mattingly: Think he will remain with Dodgers but I am not sold on him regardless.
Tom Brookens: His abysmal and often indecisive job of coaching @ 3B soured me on him BIGTIME.
Legendary Lloyd: Ohmygawd....just NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!
Tony Pena hmmm...dunno very much about him.

Last edited:
A good team work an owner with basically an open pocketbook and that's the list? Ouch.

The problem is there aren't many proven managers that are available. But...at least the Leyland bashers got what they have been wishing for!

1967-1970 = Mayo Smith, .560 WPCT (managed in PHI and CIN before DET)

1971-1973 = Billy Martin, .549 WPCT (managed 1 year in MIN before DET)

1974-1978 = Ralph Houk, .450 WPCT (managed the NYY 11 years before DET)

1979-1995 = Sparky Anderson, .516 WPCT (managed CIN before DET)

1996-1998 = Buddy Bell, .399 WPCT (no previous experience)

1998-1999 = Larry Parrish, .441 WPCT (no previous experience)

2000-2002 = Phil Garner, .439 WPCT (manged MIL 8 years before DET)

2003-2005 = Alan Trammell, .383 WPCT (no previous experience)

2006-2013 = Jim Leyland, .540 WPCT (managed PIT, FLA and COL before DET)

Aside from "Nails" (I give Houk a pass based on the team he inherited), who was an Ass, our worst managers in my lifetime came with "no previous experience" at the MLB level. Maybe there would be an exception, but I am not inclined to try.

The problem is there aren't many proven managers that are available. But...at least the Leyland bashers got what they have been wishing for!

That's why the new wave is hiring new blood.

I doubt Dombrowski goes full-steam ahead. He doesn't want to upset the good apple cart and make big changes. He's more apt to replace Jim internally (Lloyd) and hire a new wave batting coach (Carlos Guillen).

Doing so buys "very MLB intelligent" Carlos Guillen some time learning the management system. Carlos will manage someday..... or as soon as his broken English can be understood.... lol

Last edited:

Aside from "Nails" (I give Houk a pass based on the team he inherited), who was an Ass, our worst managers in my lifetime came with "no previous experience" at the MLB level. Maybe there would be an exception, but I am not inclined to try.

In fairness to Bell, that 1996 team might have been the worst in Tiger history. Then when they improved, Randy Smith did a salary dump.

As I am sure you all know, Brad Ausmus is the latest name floating around.

Did you purposely omit Luis Pujols?

In fairness to Bell, that 1996 team might have been the worst in Tiger history. Then when they improved, Randy Smith did a salary dump.

When was the salary dump? And certainly 2003 was the worst.

I for one can't wait to see how the next manager will manage the bullpen because that 8th inning in game two was a debacle even for Leyland lovers.. Oh I know
its all the players fault and the manager has nothing to do with who comes in and when..

Jim has even said that the Tigers let the Boston series get away and this one hurts the most... Yes players failed to execute but by god that 8th inning should have been managed different.. I really like Jim and wanted him to win as badly as anyone. But he just could not finish the deal.. It's not all on him either DD gets some of the 2013 blame, Players fading again down the stretch get some blame also.. But managers have to put their players in at the right times to give his team the best chance to win.. I bet Jim even wants that 8th inning back...

Last edited:
Oh Jesus christ he's gone already....how long are we going to beat the dead game 2 horse and stick to calling people "Leyland lovers".

Seriously, you got your wish, now let's get over it.

As the saying goes "watch out for what you wish for."

I won't miss Leyland but we better not be hiring a good 'ol boy.

Last edited:
When was the salary dump? And certainly 2003 was the worst.

1996 was a worse team than 2003. There were vets on that team wheras 2003 was a minor league roster. That '96 team took the field down 5-0. 1996 has a team 6.38 ERA and 22 total saves. 2003 was a full run better. 2003 was actually more competitive even though they lost 10 more games. In 1998, Smith decided to get rid of guys that struck out too much and dumped Fryman, Nieves, Hamlin, Nevin, among others. Guys that had decent 1997 seasons (albeit they sucked after save Fryman). Pitching in 1998 was not as good as 1997 either.

Back