Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Brad Ausmus

Why?
Am I missing something?

Well he has no experience as of yet as a manager, which to me would be the biggest sign that DD would not actually hire him. Didn't he say that he wanted a manager with experience? Ausmus does have some things working in his favor though. He is very intelligent (attended Dartmouth) and understands the game well. Obviously the theory is that catchers make the best managers because of their overall knowledge and game management experience behind the plate. Joe Torre actually had him manage one game while he was with the Dodgers I think because he thought so highly of him? Also the fact that he was a former Tiger probably gives him bonus points whether it's right or not. Also, he is not Lloyd McClendon so he has that going for him.

Wouldn't jump for joy if the Tigers hired him. I'm not sure how much respect he would get from a lot of the veterans in the clubhouse.

Last edited:
Mike Matheny had no experience either. That might open the door for Ausmus. DD indicated he was leaving his options open.

Ausmus is a brilliant man. Now whether that translates on the field as the general would remain to be seen. Leyland admit-tingly was not the sharpest knife in the drawer but when it came to the game his peers concluded he was the best. With this group of players, DD has a tough decision to make. A guy like Runnells, Baker, Lamont, McClendon and Charlie Manual make a lot of sense. Manual may be the best fit but he is old as dirt.

Also, he is not Lloyd McClendon so he has that going for him.

I really don't understand this kind of reaction. (several people expressed it)

Nobody knows how Lloyd would handled a clubhouse or manage a game. People dislike him because it's the simplest solution to blame a hitting coach when guys aren't hitting, but we were a top hitting team, but the credit never goes the other way. I understand this though, it's human nature.

Is it maybe because people wanted Leyland gone so bad they want everything associated with him gone as well?

To be honest I wanted someone new, an outside-the-box type maybe, but I really can't come up with a single reason Lloyd or Brookens might not do an excellent job.

Neither would be my first choice, but if they get picked I'm going to get behind them as the skipper of my team.

I really don't understand this kind of reaction. (several people expressed it)

Nobody knows how Lloyd would handled a clubhouse or manage a game. People dislike him because it's the simplest solution to blame a hitting coach when guys aren't hitting, but we were a top hitting team, but the credit never goes the other way. I understand this though, it's human nature.

Is it maybe because people wanted Leyland gone so bad they want everything associated with him gone as well?

To be honest I wanted someone new, an outside-the-box type maybe, but I really can't come up with a single reason Lloyd or Brookens might not do an excellent job.

Neither would be my first choice, but if they get picked I'm going to get behind them as the skipper of my team.

It was mostly a joke (Caddyshack reference). I have no idea how Lloyd would do either.

It was mostly a joke (Caddyshack reference). I have no idea how Lloyd would do either.

My apologies then, I missed the joke. I have the movie on DVD though, maybe I should watch it again soon, been a while.

I think Lloyd is going to get it but I think Brad would do ok..

I hope DD signs Ausmus before the Cubs get him. I think he is going to be a great manager.

Back