Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wofford Preview

sounds like their biggest advantage is to slow things down and bore the other team to death, so assuming we don't have another brick-laying performance we should be fine. I don't see anyone having an easy time beating us with their half-court offense alone.

also my gut instinct watching the BTT final was that we made some bad substitutions that affected our offensive flow. last year with Burke and McGary providing a consistent way to move the ball and/or score that wasn't as much of a problem. the way we fell apart in those last couple minutes against State, where they kept scoring at will, and we seemed lost left a bad taste in my mouth, but it may have just been more of a confluence of factors weighing against us. unlikely to occur again in the tourney.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like their biggest advantage is to slow things down and bore the other team to death, so assuming we don't have another brick-laying performance we should be fine. I don't see anyone having an easy time beating us with their half-court offense alone.

also my gut instinct watching the BTT final was that we made some bad substitutions that affected our offensive flow. last year with Burke and McGary providing a consistent way to move the ball and/or score that wasn't as much of a problem. the way we fell apart in those last couple minutes against State, where they kept scoring at will, and we seemed lost left a bad taste in my mouth, but it may have just been more of a confluence of factors weighing against us. unlikely to occur again in the tourney.

Bielfeldt having to play extended minutes destroyed our offensive flow. He is lost on offense. He is a terrible screener, that never rolls, and he thinks he should jack up threes whenever he gets the ball and squares up. He doesn't help on defense or the boards because he is undersized and slow. We can't end up in a situation with him playing extended minutes in the big dance. It would be a disaster.

Last edited:

you won't shoot like that again, that was a result of 3 games in 3 days, the legs go and you have a lot of missed jumpers.

It reminded me a lot of the Charlotte game we lost. It's the only other time we played 3 games in 3 days. Its difficult on primary jump shooting teams because do start coming up short. Last year Trey could drive and dish or get a basket and a foul. Its the one area Walton needs to work on. He needs to be more aggressive on driving to the basket.

It reminded me a lot of the Charlotte game we lost. It's the only other time we played 3 games in 3 days. Its difficult on primary jump shooting teams because do start coming up short. Last year Trey could drive and dish or get a basket and a foul. Its the one area Walton needs to work on. He needs to be more aggressive on driving to the basket.

well... remember the 2012 tourney. that was a disaster. then the next year, it was the national final.

Hopefully Albrecht can soften the blow of Walton's inexperience... but if you are one of those people who believe you can only go as far as you PG can carry you in the tourney, I'm thinking we'll be a bit disappointed this year... unless we get hot and stay hot.

I think the team is much better poised as a group for this year's run and far less reliant on the PG (then again with a PG like Burke, be reliant as you want to be)...

The loss yesterday means pretty much nothing unless you're in a pissing match with a dillhole who follows state and thinks yesterday erases the past few years.

Like any year, the draw is what matters and the Region is stacked with super-successful and acclaimed coaches and programs. No other region has such a situation, so an earlier exit than National Title game wouldn't shock me.

Can't wait to hear all week about where people tell me they have M losing in their brackets.

We have a great shot at the Elite 8 with Duke being the main obstacle in getting there. However, Duke had a couple recent games where they struggled against mediocre teams. They lost to Wake and eeked out a one point win over Clemson. They are our most likely Sweet 16 match up, but they very well could be an early upset victim.

Last edited:
I think the team is much better poised as a group for this year's run and far less reliant on the PG (then again with a PG like Burke, be reliant as you want to be)...

The loss yesterday means pretty much nothing unless you're in a pissing match with a dillhole who follows state and thinks yesterday erases the past few years.

Like any year, the draw is what matters and the Region is stacked with super-successful and acclaimed coaches and programs. No other region has such a situation, so an earlier exit than National Title game wouldn't shock me.

Can't wait to hear all week about where people tell me they have M losing in their brackets.

you sound angry

Nah, Robinson and Stauskus were both banged up in that game. Michigan actually got the lead and then Stuaskus rolled his ankle and Charlotte ended up winning by 1. Since injuries are a common theme around here, I think if Stauskus doesn't roll his ankle, MIchigan wins close. If Michigan played them again at the end of the year, Michigan rolls them after the improvements that were made during the season.

Nah, Robinson and Stauskus were both banged up in that game. Michigan actually got the lead and then Stuaskus rolled his ankle and Charlotte ended up winning by 1. Since injuries are a common theme around here, I think if Stauskus doesn't roll his ankle, MIchigan wins close. If Michigan played them again at the end of the year, Michigan rolls them after the improvements that were made during the season.

A lot of people forget that Stauskas and GR3 were hurt that game because our coach doesn't whine and bitch about injuries after every game.

you sound angry

LOL ....you mean you want me to be angry and read my posts to yourself in your "inner monologue angry Michigan Alum voice"

cute try, though. I think I'm too matter of fact when it comes to the banter at times. It's why I rarely contribute to the nonsense you get into with some around here.

fwiw, three different co-workers have said exactly what I jokingly predicted, "Hey dude ...sorry but I have Michigan losing to Duke" or "I don't know, I kind of like Texas in the second round ...no offense."

I asked all three if they had Michigan in the National Title game last year .....

nope.

You just can't get angry about this stuff - it's too entertaining, too predictable and too much fun! I also predicted State would win last night on Saturday afternoon and am glad your ego got the win.

Last edited:

But how many games out of ten do you think Michigan would have won if they were at full strength? That's what really matters.

It's obvious what's going on here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. You were upset all year hearing about MSU injuries, I'm sure you loved reading Bacari's tweets and you fumed when Bilas and Vitale talked about how we could be the best team in the country if we were healthy. Hey, this is our year, we're leading the big ten, why aren't they talking about us?

Well, yesterday did happen. You guys had a shot to earn a #1 seed which would have been big for the program, you got a chance to prove that you were the better team against a fully healthy MSU squad and you got punked. outside of a few 3's early you were never really in the game, MSU just imposed their will and you guys had no response. That has to hurt, especially since you measure your entire program against us, it's all about you record against MSU in your predefined number of games (I guess it's 9 now).

Just be happy, you guys are a good team, you had a good year. MSU had some really shitty luck, somebody was going to benefit from it. You may have had the best record in the big ten but I think deep down you know that our team is better and that hurts. Sometimes we don't like to admit the role that luck has in our success.

If you didn't always compare yourselves to us, you'd just be happy with the good fortune and good season you had.

I think your forgot that UM was the national runner up last year, and this year won the best or second best league by three games. Feel free to keep running with this mental image that you're conjuring up if it makes you feel better though.

I think your forgot that UM was the national runner up last year, and this year won the best or second best league by three games. Feel free to keep running with this mental image that you're conjuring up if it makes you feel better though.

he's conjuring up an image of himself making out with Mateen Cleaves

It's obvious what's going on here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. You were upset all year hearing about MSU injuries, I'm sure you loved reading Bacari's tweets and you fumed when Bilas and Vitale talked about how we could be the best team in the country if we were healthy. Hey, this is our year, we're leading the big ten, why aren't they talking about us?

Well, yesterday did happen. You guys had a shot to earn a #1 seed which would have been big for the program, you got a chance to prove that you were the better team against a fully healthy MSU squad and you got punked. outside of a few 3's early you were never really in the game, MSU just imposed their will and you guys had no response. That has to hurt, especially since you measure your entire program against us, it's all about you record against MSU in your predefined number of games (I guess it's 9 now).

Just be happy, you guys are a good team, you had a good year. MSU had some really shitty luck, somebody was going to benefit from it. You may have had the best record in the big ten but I think deep down you know that our team is better and that hurts. Sometimes we don't like to admit the role that luck has in our success.

If you didn't always compare yourselves to us, you'd just be happy with the good fortune and good season you had.

A lot of words and really nothing said.

I'm not saying that Michigan isn't a good program, they have a good coach and he's doing great things there.

I also didn't say anything that wasn't true

you guys had a chance at a one seed

you were sick of hearing about MSU injuries

you had a chance to prove that you were better than a healthy MSU team

you got punked

the game was never really close after the first few minutes

feel free to dispute something that isn't true

It's a rivalry....why would you not expect us to compare ourselves with MSU and vice versa? It happens all the time in football as well. I've lost count with how many times I've heard "MSU has won 5 of the last 6 in football against Michigan!!" That's perfectly fine, MSU fans should be proud of their teams. We do the same stuff when the trend is in our favor. I'm sure you were sick of hearing "MSU hasn't won in the Big House since 1990 lol!!"

Michigan fans do it, MSU fans do it. It's a rivalry. Don't act like your fanbase doesn't behave the exact same way if not worse. You are on this board almost every single day and you are a diehard Spartan fan. What is that supposed to tell us?

As far as yesterday goes, it was very apparent before the game that Michigan would be in trouble, especially given the way MSU is currently rolling. MSU has strengths that take advantage of Michigan's weaknesses there's no denying that. Michigan also was not on their game whatsoever due to tired legs and not being able to hit their jump shots. MSU plays a style more suited to the third game in three days scenario, and it worked in their favor.

The basketball programs are fairly even right now in my estimation. Michigan took 2 of 3, with both teams having "gripes" about why their team lost each particular game. Let's move on shall we?

Back