Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wofford Preview

It's a rivalry....why would you not expect us to compare ourselves with MSU and vice versa? It happens all the time in football as well. I've lost count with how many times I've heard "MSU has won 5 of the last 6 in football against Michigan!!" That's perfectly fine, MSU fans should be proud of their teams. We do the same stuff when the trend is in our favor. I'm sure you were sick of hearing "MSU hasn't won in the Big House since 1990 lol!!"

Michigan fans do it, MSU fans do it. It's a rivalry. Don't act like your fanbase doesn't behave the exact same way if not worse. You are on this board almost every single day and you are a diehard Spartan fan. What is that supposed to tell us?

As far as yesterday goes, it was very apparent before the game that Michigan would be in trouble, especially given the way MSU is currently rolling. MSU has strengths that take advantage of Michigan's weaknesses there's no denying that. Michigan also was not on their game whatsoever due to tired legs and not being able to hit their jump shots. MSU plays a style more suited to the third game in three days scenario, and it worked in their favor.

The basketball programs are fairly even right now in my estimation. Michigan took 2 of 3, with both teams having "gripes" about why their team lost each particular game. Let's move on shall we?

of course rivalries matter, beating UM yesterday was a lot more fun than beating OSU. I don't like to pull up arbitrary time periods, it's a weak argument, the 5 of 6 in football included.

as for the gripes, do you think MSU was hitting jump shots yesterday? we shot 12% from 3 yesterday, you guys shot 26%. Both Michigan and MSU shoot 39% from the 3 on the year. I don't know if I see that as a legitimate gripe, we both played 3 straight games. It's not our fault the you couldn't generate any other offense if the jumpers weren't falling.

It's obvious what's going on here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. You were upset all year hearing about MSU injuries, I'm sure you loved reading Bacari's tweets and you fumed when Bilas and Vitale talked about how we could be the best team in the country if we were healthy. Hey, this is our year, we're leading the big ten, why aren't they talking about us?

Well, yesterday did happen. You guys had a shot to earn a #1 seed which would have been big for the program, you got a chance to prove that you were the better team against a fully healthy MSU squad and you got punked. outside of a few 3's early you were never really in the game, MSU just imposed their will and you guys had no response. That has to hurt, especially since you measure your entire program against us, it's all about you record against MSU in your predefined number of games (I guess it's 9 now).

Just be happy, you guys are a good team, you had a good year. MSU had some really shitty luck, somebody was going to benefit from it. You may have had the best record in the big ten but I think deep down you know that our team is better and that hurts. Sometimes we don't like to admit the role that luck has in our success.

If you didn't always compare yourselves to us, you'd just be happy with the good fortune and good season you had.

MillerDanceDidntRead.gif

j/k I really did read it and as a Michigan fan most of it is probably true, I've just been wanting to use the .gif for a while now.

And State absolutely punked Michigan last year, and Michigan went to the National Title game. What exactly are we arguing about here?

State CLEARLY wanted this game more. If not for the fear of losing three straight games, but to get that extra motivation to gel. Even Stauskas said the motivation was not as strong on the Michigan sideline. Maybe he's making excuses (I doubt it, he seems honest about that), but you could tell MSU wanted it more.

Last edited:
of course rivalries matter, beating UM yesterday was a lot more fun than beating OSU. I don't like to pull up arbitrary time periods, it's a weak argument, the 5 of 6 in football included.

as for the gripes, do you think MSU was hitting jump shots yesterday? we shot 12% from 3 yesterday, you guys shot 26%. Both Michigan and MSU shoot 39% from the 3 on the year. I don't know if I see that as a legitimate gripe, we both played 3 straight games. It's not our fault the you couldn't generate any other offense if the jumpers weren't falling.

MSU shot poorly too, but like I said you guys have a better inside game and it's not debatable which is why you won. We didn't have Mitch McGary (it's strange how everyone keeps forgetting about an All-American center)....he's pretty good and helps out with all the areas we needed help with yesterday (rebounding and inside play). We had to play Max Bielfeldt for more than 10 seconds... it wasn't just the jump shooting.

That being said, I gave full credit to MSU after the win and I still do.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that Michigan isn't a good program, they have a good coach and he's doing great things there.

I also didn't say anything that wasn't true

you guys had a chance at a one seed

you were sick of hearing about MSU injuries

you had a chance to prove that you were better than a healthy MSU team

you got punked

the game was never really close after the first few minutes

feel free to dispute something that isn't true

The point is we're not wrapped up in the things you "think" (I know this is just a reverse role playing situation, unsurprisingly you're pretty good at it) we're wrapped up in. But yeah, most of those are true. So what? As I alluded to earlier, we're secure in UM's standing among college basketball's elite. One game won't hurt our feelings.

The injury thing isn't true at all though. It was kind of funny listening to Izzo cry like a bitch all year.

MSU shot poorly too, but like I said you guys have a better inside game and it's not debatable which is why you won. We didn't have Mitch McGary....he's pretty good and helps out with all the areas we needed help with yesterday (rebounding and inside play). We had to play Max Bielfeldt for more than 10 seconds... it wasn't just the jump shooting.

That being said, I gave full credit to MSU after the win and I still do.

We'd gladly trade you Russell Byrd for Max Bielfeldt lol

And State absolutely punked Michigan last year, and Michigan went to the National Title game. What exactly are we arguing about here?

State CLEARLY wanted this game more. If not for the fear of losing three straight games, but to get that extra motivation to gel. Even Stauskas said the motivation was not as strong on the Michigan sideline. Maybe he's making excuses (I doubt it, he seems honest about that), but you could tell MSU wanted it more.

Wanted it more? I think that's what you say when you won't admit thay the better team won.

Michigan had a chance for the first btt win since 1998 and they could put all that msu injury talk to rest. They also had a chance at a 1 seed against a rival. What more motivation do you need?

The point is we're not wrapped up in the things you "think" (I know this is just a reverse role playing situation, unsurprisingly you're pretty good at it) we're wrapped up in. But yeah, most of those are true. So what? As I alluded to earlier, we're secure in UM's standing among college basketball's elite. One game won't hurt our feelings.

The injury thing isn't true at all though. It was kind of funny listening to Izzo cry like a bitch all year.

I'm not throwing a spoon in the pot to stir more, but what do you mean by "college basketball's elite"?

We'd gladly trade you Russell Byrd for Max Bielfeldt lol

Haha I guess Byrd and Bielfeldt are our two program's equivalent of Don Kelly :)

Byrd only played 9 minutes total in the first two games. Bielfeldt had to play 13 minutes yesterday, and it was very apparent that he was throwing the rest of the offense out of whack.

The injury thing as you call it was acknowledged by all the broadcasters and analysts, along with a bunch of rational Michigan fans like monster and michlady. Hell, all 5 espn analyst said we were the best team in the country if healthy. They all picked us to win the nc.

Its just denied by some homer Michigan fans like Vic, deathroh, and hungry. I wonder why? ??

I've always had a thing for taking on the unwinnable argument. I argue with republicans about evolution and climate change too.

And that somehow means that you are the best team, having all the experts pick MSU to win the national title? Michigan was an afterthought to the majority of experts last season.

Ahh, the Big Ten Tournament, the very same that your Tom Izzo has constantly claimed is essentially meaningless. And do you think playing for a 1 seed is that damn important vs a high 2? Michigan may have wanted it, but MSU clearly wanted it more, judging from the amount of loose balls they went for, and the overall hustle that was on display.

Again, what are we arguing about? Do you want Michigan fans on here to admit MSU is a superior team/program? What's the point of all this?

Yup non-stop Sparty love on radio and tv maybe what the doctor ordered...
Now everyone around the country will hate Msu and IZZO and his whiny brand...

The injury thing as you call it was acknowledged by all the broadcasters and analysts, along with a bunch of rational Michigan fans like monster and michlady. Hell, all 5 espn analyst said we were the best team in the country if healthy. They all picked us to win the nc.

Its just denied by some homer Michigan fans like Vic, deathroh, and hungry. I wonder why? ??

I've always had a thing for taking on the unwinnable argument. I argue with republicans about evolution and climate change too.

:cheers: Keep fighting the good fight.

Yup non-stop Sparty love on radio and tv maybe what the doctor ordered...
Now everyone around the country will hate Msu and IZZO and his whiny brand...

Fyi, izzo is generally loved and respected everywhere outside of ann arbor.

Also, as far as being whiny, did you hear belein going on about how his definition of a travel is different than some refs? That was whining. It doesn't bother me because he's just a passionate coach who wants to win and gives an honest answer, just pointig out that coaches to complain.
I do like jb though, he's a great coach and a classy guy.

And that somehow means that you are the best team, having all the experts pick MSU to win the national title? Michigan was an afterthought to the majority of experts last season.

Ahh, the Big Ten Tournament, the very same that your Tom Izzo has constantly claimed is essentially meaningless. And do you think playing for a 1 seed is that damn important vs a high 2? Michigan may have wanted it, but MSU clearly wanted it more, judging from the amount of loose balls they went for, and the overall hustle that was on display.

Again, what are we arguing about? Do you want Michigan fans on here to admit MSU is a superior team/program? What's the point of all this?

Saying msu wanted it more is a way of avoiding saying that the better team won.

I just laugh at the few injury deniers, its just hatred for msu. If it were a team a vs team b discussion it would be a lot different.

And Mcgary still gets left out of the conversation. OUR BEST PLAYER HASN'T PLAYED THE WHOLE BIG10 SEASON AND WE STILL WON THE BIG10!! How do you guys still think you're the better team when we haven't had him the whole time? You guys beat us..........Finally! Congratulations, so did Iowa. Do you think Iowa is better than us? They put up 85 on us and beat our asses by almost 20pts.

I'm not throwing a spoon in the pot to stir more, but what do you mean by "college basketball's elite"?

I was throwing that word in there for the fun of it. My point is that Michigan has produced a body of work over the past two years that can be compared with anybody...we wouldn't need to judge them against just one team.

UM has acted the part recently, but obviously has a ways to go to be considered an elite program. For whatever that's worth anyways.

You apparently like arguing against strawmen too. I don't believe I've ever commented on how good MSU would be if they were healthy. I've only commented on how stupid and pointless it is to constantly whine about it.

Back