Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blizzard up and down the East Coast

I have no idea how much snow we got. In places I have bare grass, in other I have drifts over my hips. My road is pretty much impassable right now until the county plows start on the dirt roads, but the worst part is the snow if so dry and fine the slightest breeze carries a lot of it. So even though it's not snowing anymore, I'll probably have to dig out a couple more times just from it blowing back in to the spots I cleared.

I have no idea how much snow we got. In places I have bare grass, in other I have drifts over my hips. My road is pretty much impassable right now until the county plows start on the dirt roads, but the worst part is the snow if so dry and fine the slightest breeze carries a lot of it. So even though it's not snowing anymore, I'll probably have to dig out a couple more times just from it blowing back in to the spots I cleared.

according to the weather channel, it doesn't look like the Thumb got it too bad (but for the snow drifts). Not sure exactly where you are, but it looks like the entire peninsula was 12" or less.

We really got pounded, but it's sunny and nice now. I'm sitting upstairs listening to clumps of snow melt and fall off our roof.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sun is out here and the air temps are dropping, but so has the windspeed. Seen lots of vehicles stuck, not b/c the main roads haven't been plowed, but b/c they tried to turn where the snow wasn't completely cleared (like side-street entrances/exits and the on/off ramps to freeways. A semi that made a delivery @ a nearby Mc D's got stuck b/c their smallish lot hadn't been plowed yet. The gas station that we usually use was out of all gas except premium, so had to drive further away from our house to another one and was almost on fumes by then.

I have been diagnosed with cataracts in both of my eyes (my right being severe), and now can't drive b/c of being very snowblind from the glare. My unemployed wife has to do the driving, until I can afford to have the surgery since Medicare covers 80% co-pay and that is only after the deductible is met.

Last edited:
The sun is out here and the air temps are dropping, but so has the windspeed. Seen lots of vehicles stuck, not b/c the main roads haven't been plowed, but b/c they tried to turn where the snow wasn't completely cleared (like side-street entrances/exits and the on/off ramps to freeways. A semi that made a delivery @ a nearby Mc D's got stuck b/c their smallish lot hadn't been plowed yet. The gas station that we usually use was out of all gas except premium, so had to drive further away from our house to another one and was almost on fumes by then.

I have been diagnosed with cataracts in both of my eyes (my right being severe), and now can't drive b/c of being very snowblind from the glare. My unemployed wife has to do the driving, until I can afford to have the surgery since Medicare covers 80% co-pay and that is only after the deductible is met.

Okay, well, I feel bad complaining about my problems after reading about yours, but I just had to dig my car out once with the small "emergency" shovel I keep in the trunk, get a push to get into the ruts on a side street so I could get out, go buy a full size shovel to replace the one that got stolen yesterday, got stuck getting back into a different side street on my way home and had to get another push, dug out my carport and sidewalks, and the alley to get to the carport, then white-knuckly rocket my car through the parts of the alley not shoveled by asshole neighbors in order to get home.

and I told my wife to stay in for another day because I know she'll get the car stuck on the way out when I'm at work, so I'm going to have to endure 24 hours of her complaining about being stuck at home, or else go spend all night digging out the rest of the alley.

fucking lazy neighbors. probably Republicans too, since they shoveled off only their own parts of the property, not the alley we all use, or the sidewalks of the old man who lives next door (I ended up doing that).

I heard on the weather today that Detroit and metro area had the largest amount of snow since 1974.
Hope all of you stay safe driving or walking anywhere you go.

Okay, well, I feel bad complaining about my problems after reading about yours, but I just had to dig my car out once with the small "emergency" shovel I keep in the trunk, get a push to get into the ruts on a side street so I could get out, go buy a full size shovel to replace the one that got stolen yesterday, got stuck getting back into a different side street on my way home and had to get another push, dug out my carport and sidewalks, and the alley to get to the carport, then white-knuckly rocket my car through the parts of the alley not shoveled by asshole neighbors in order to get home.

and I told my wife to stay in for another day because I know she'll get the car stuck on the way out when I'm at work, so I'm going to have to endure 24 hours of her complaining about being stuck at home, or else go spend all night digging out the rest of the alley.

fucking lazy neighbors. probably Republicans too, since they shoveled off only their own parts of the property, not the alley we all use, or the sidewalks of the old man who lives next door (I ended up doing that).

I shoveled out my next-door neighbor (a single woman with a couple of young children), since she doesn't have a shovel except for a cheap children's-size plastic one.

There are so many living here who are far worse off that we are, so I try not to dwell much on my disabilities & our financial struggles. In 4 years I will get my full pension,(that is, IF the insolvent but supposedly non profit USPS doesn't get broken up and parceled out to the "private sector" first). We also now have a Republican majority in the US HOR and Senate. many of whom would gleefully privatize everything except perhaps the 3 branches of government and the armed forces.

Last edited:
many of whom would gleefully privatize everything except perhaps the 3 branches of government and the armed forces.

I think the privatization of the legislative branch is well underway.

The way these storms keep rolling in every few days reminds of a couple of winters we had here in the mid 90's. A foot to foot and a half each storm.
Back then I had a big ass Cadillac with studded snow tires. I went through everything.

The forecast calls for more over the weekend into Monday.

That was another 16" through Monday.

Seven days record for most snow was broken something like 44/45".

Now another snow storm coming Sunday right through Tuesday morning.

That was another 16" through Monday.

Seven days record for most snow was broken something like 44/45".

Now another snow storm coming Sunday right through Tuesday morning.

that's rough. Hope you're at least in a place where you can pile that snow off to.

for Chicago we're already at capacity... not a lot of places to move any more snow & still be able to move our cars. But temps are supposed to be in the mid-high-30's Saturday, so we should lose some. Then rain on Sunday.

our driveway/carport is on an alley that runs behind our block. on the other side of the alley is a condo complex that plowed a significant amount of their snow half into our alley, making it tough to drive down.

I'm on the edge of complaining, but don't want to open a can of worms. I was shoveling snow out of our alley back *INTO* their parking lot the other day, and a couple of the residents started staring me down! I talked to a couple of my neighbors, and they had a more "fatalistic" take on the situation. I'm not really prepared to take it laying down.

We plan to build a garage this spring, and that will restrict our ability to turn as we back into the alley to come/go, so this may be a battle I have to fight sooner than later.

that's rough. Hope you're at least in a place where you can pile that snow off to.

for Chicago we're already at capacity... not a lot of places to move any more snow & still be able to move our cars. But temps are supposed to be in the mid-high-30's Saturday, so we should lose some. Then rain on Sunday.

our driveway/carport is on an alley that runs behind our block. on the other side of the alley is a condo complex that plowed a significant amount of their snow half into our alley, making it tough to drive down.

I'm on the edge of complaining, but don't want to open a can of worms. I was shoveling snow out of our alley back *INTO* their parking lot the other day, and a couple of the residents started staring me down! I talked to a couple of my neighbors, and they had a more "fatalistic" take on the situation. I'm not really prepared to take it laying down.

We plan to build a garage this spring, and that will restrict our ability to turn as we back into the alley to come/go, so this may be a battle I have to fight sooner than later.

We haven't had more than a day or two above freezing temps to melt any. With so much on roofs now some places are getting the ice dams and water damage inside their homes.

Good Luck with the snow clearing back and forth with the condo complex neighbors. Situations like this make people react.
Mine pours into a rotary, only problem is of course the plows that push it across the entrance/exit, but we have lost several visitor parking spots with the snows plowed.

and yet another is coming over the weekend into Monday. Little today the 7th more Sunday and alot more Monday the 9th. All told to expect another 12 to 16 inches.

This snow storm that started late Saturday and is winding down around midnight Monday tonight + into early Tuesday morning just dropped another 20 to 24 inches in the town I live in and surrounding towns.

The snow totals have broken all records for most snow in 20 days, 30 days, and 40 days.
and incredibly, another on Thursday is due, a small one, but now they are forecasting another major storm Sunday into Monday. There is no place to put it.

In fact, the T or the MBTA subways had broken down trains on two lines in and around that connect through downtown boston for the third day the past week to 10 days. They had to shut down the live third rail and get 50 to 60 people off the train, walk down the tracks and into busses to finish their commutes. and unprecedented is the transit authority have said that the trains will not be running on Tuesday.

The snow storms and blizzards continue....What was going across Michigan and metro Detroit
in the last 24 hours is headed to New England. Starting Saturday afternoon into Sunday afternoon another blizzard of 12 to 18 inches.

City of Boston and metro boston has set all kinds of snow records for most snow in the last 10 days, 20 days, 30 days, and 40 days. Already the snow amount has set a record for the month of February today. This storm should put the total amount into the top 5 all time.
Getting close to the 1995/1996 record snow total for that winter.
Rotarys and entrance and exit ramps to and from major highways and arterys are dangerous with the snow plowed up so high you can't see the vehicles coming and have to inch out and see before booting it.

and the forecast is calling for more next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Bone chilling temps,10 degree air temp and VERY windy here on Valentine's Day. My furnace is running almost constantly lately, (I live in a rental house built on a slab that is poorly insulated and with drafty windows) and I cringe when I think about how high our gas bills will be before this winter ends...that is...whenever that date finally arrives, since I remember it being cold & snowing here as late as April 27-28th (of '05). February is really avenging our relaively mild and snowless Dec-Jan so far.

But my sympathies go out to you fellow DSFers living in NE, b/c the insane amounts of snow you have received and will/still might get as yet this season would be more than enough already for me to very seriously consider moving elsewhere ASAP. A "quick" thaw could really fuck things up there especially if it doesn't happen until ~mid-spring.

Watching the weather channel here, before going out to clear my car off, I saw that Michigan had some very frigid below zero wind chill temps. The cold will be hitting us overnight and into Sunday. It will be worse on the Cape and the islands; Marthas Vineyard/Natucket Island.

My last 3/4 electric bills (heat) of 2014 averaged $40./$50. January bill was $140. I am sure my next one in a week will be higher.

Watching the weather channel here, before going out to clear my car off, I saw that Michigan had some very frigid below zero wind chill temps. The cold will be hitting us overnight and into Sunday. It will be worse on the Cape and the islands; Marthas Vineyard/Natucket Island.

My last 3/4 electric bills (heat) of 2014 averaged $40./$50. January bill was $140. I am sure my next one in a week will be higher.

Thinking of you KC and the other posters affected. We've been lucky in South Central PA. All of the storms that have walloped New England have tracked just north or just east and have left us relatively unscathed. Bitter cold tonight though. Wind chill warnings and high wind warnings as well. We're expected to get a few inches tonight, but the real issue will be the blowing snow causing whiteouts. Record low for our area on this date is expected to be broken....

Stay warm and stay safe!

Yeah, it's the wind here that's causing problems. The low temps are a bother, but with the wind causing the cold to penetrate more, my regular heat source (GeoThermal) cannot maintain 70 degrees inside. So I also have 2 space heaters going and my fireplace roaring, and my thermostat still reads 68.

Overnight and tomorrow are going to be worse, expected to get as low as -17 (actual) in my area. If the wind was not pounding me from the north, it wouldn't be a problem at all. I actually feel sorry for the steers and calves down the road from me, all they have is a 3-sided lean-to for shelter, and if the wind can get in...

Thinking of you KC and the other posters affected. We've been lucky in South Central PA. All of the storms that have walloped New England have tracked just north or just east and have left us relatively unscathed. Bitter cold tonight though. Wind chill warnings and high wind warnings as well. We're expected to get a few inches tonight, but the real issue will be the blowing snow causing whiteouts. Record low for our area on this date is expected to be broken....

Stay warm and stay safe!

Thanks elrod brother.
I'm just one person here among the millions these blizzards, snowstorms, and below zero temps has affected. Just enormous amount of miles they have covered; all New York, all New England, parts of Canada. It has to end sometime.

Last edited:
Back