Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

hey tinsel

Michchamp

So, in Chicago, I'm seeing these ads run to promote tourism to LA. They're pretty gay in general, but there's one part that jumps out as particularly retarded: the voiceover says something about "running into celebrities" or "stars" and at that part in the ad, they show Mario Lopez smiling at a couple passer-by.

Really?!? that's the best "celebrity" the city of LA could get for its ad?

Not that I really give a shit about running into celebrities, but the chance I might run into Mario Lopez, of all people, makes me less likely to want to go to LA.

A few years ago he hosted a Eukanuba Dog Show at the park near our house in Denver. He MC'd one of those dog acts where a guy has a bunch of frisbees and border collies who jump all over the place catching them..

I think I heard "Slater!" shouted at him at least a dozen times during the little show he did.

I don't know; nobody asked me.

Maybe because he's associated with talking to celebrities on his show - is it Access Hollywood? - maybe the people who made the commercial thought people in Chicago would go "wow, with Mario Lopez around, there must be some real celebrities close by!"

Kind of like that optimistic kid on Christmas who got a pile of shit as a gift and excitedly went digging through the shit looking for a pony.

I'd say no one here gives a shit about LA's D-list rejects, but I assume this ad is played in the Chicago suburbs as well, and there are probably a bunch of douchey suburbanites from places like Schaumburg, Naperville, and Wheaton that would think it's cool to see Mario Lopez on the street.

there are probably a bunch of douchey suburbanites from places like Schaumburg, Naperville, and Wheaton that would think it's cool to see Mario Lopez on the street.

I guess because he's on a show that covers Hollywood, people in places like this might think that Mario Lopez is the face of Hollywood.

I don't know the commercial, but I expect that the people who are paying to make it/run it have an idea who their target market is.

20 years ago they probably would have used Bill O'Reilly.

Just be glad it wasn't Screech.

Sometimes you have to look at things as glass half-full.

There are a lot of Cali tourism ads with folks like Phil Mickelson, Rob Lowe, Pro Surfers ...so on.

"Board Meetings" with surfers ...
"Pencil pushers" with golf pencils ...

pretty clever and decent commercials, maybe Lopez is just on one of them

Just be glad it wasn't Screech.

Sometimes you have to look at things as glass half-full.

That guy has been in trouble with the law late, hasn't he...?

EDIT: I've been watching this pretty good dark comedy on Netflix; Don't Trust the B _ _ _ _in Apt 23 and James Van Der Beek, the guy who was Dawson on Dawson's Creek is on that show and he plays himself; and quite often other actors meet up with him as themselves.

Anyway, I just saw an episode with Zack, whatever that actor's name was, and he was "coaching" Van Der Beek on how to prepare for the inevitable anonymity that would shortly follow.

Last edited:
Zack was on NYPD Blue in its final years, replacing Ricky Schroeder as Sipowicz' partner

They should have used Henry Winkler instead, that poor dude has been reduced to pimping reverse mortgages in commercials here in the D.

I'm sure that he really needs all of the extra media exposure that he can possibly get.

Back before he "jumped the shark" as Fonzie in his Happy Days 70s prime, he appeared as a celeb meet and greet @ Cobo Hall in downtown Detroit. The kids who came to see who they thought would be "The Fonz" got nerdy Henry instead...very awkward to say the least..haha!!

Last edited:
They should have used Henry Winkler instead, that poor dude has been reduced to pimping reverse mortgages in commercials here in the D.

He's been on Royal Pains, it's on USA network I think.

Looks like Parks and Recreation, and some weird maybe like a cartoon, called Childrens Hospital on some network called Adult Swim that seems to have some association with Cartoon Network and Turner Digital.

Maybe he does voice over on that or something.

Looks like Parks and Recreation, and some weird maybe like a cartoon, called Childrens Hospital on some network called Adult Swim that seems to have some association with Cartoon Network and Turner Digital.

Got a selfie with the fonz this past super bowl at phoenix airport, no one else reckonized him

Don't forget Arrested Development.

tumblr_mdaseolsNV1rzv3cwo1_500.gif

jump-the-shark-arrested-development.gif

Back