Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My Dr.'s Office Closed Today/Cultural Culinary Dilemma

tinselwolverine

So I call my Dr.'s office to get an Rx refilled and I hear the message "the office is closed for the holiday..." I'm like "What? Passover begins next Friday, I thought, and next Friday is good Friday too..." check the calendar, and yep...that's the case...

Anyway, there's an answering service for emergencies - I don't know if an Rx is an emergency; it might be...anyway, I get someone on the line and I ask "what holiday is it?"

"Cesar Chavez Day."

Cesar Chavez Day?

Really?

Cesar Chavez Day?

Really?

Cesar Freakin' Chavez Day?

Don't get me wrong - nobody appreciates what Cesar Chavez accomplished more than I do.

He was one of the greatest fighters of all time, pound for pound; the stunning and controversial final moments of the Meldrick Taylor fight were among the exciting moments in boxing history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOm5tWT2V4

But to shut down a medical facility for that?

Really?

Last edited:
this post will be sure to help your Republican Outreach plan on the board. I'm sure tLiar, spartanracist and zyxt all wonder why Cesar Chavez would get his own day as well.

this post will be sure to help your Republican Outreach plan on the board. I'm sure tLiar, spartanracist and zyxt all wonder why Cesar Chavez would get his own day as well.

It's actually not a national holiday; it's a California holiday.

I'm not opposed to it; I just don't understand why they can't just bundle it up with Cinco de Mayo.

I'm not opposed to it; I just don't understand why they can't just bundle it up with Cinco de Mayo.

Although not a federal holiday, President Barack H. Obama proclaimed March 31 "Cesar Chavez Day" in the United States, with Americans being urged to "observe this day with appropriate service, community, and educational programs to honor C?sar Ch?vez's enduring legacy".

I think he deserves his own day.

probably for the same reason Independence day isn't sharing a day with MLK Jr Day.

Although not a federal holiday, President Barack H. Obama proclaimed March 31 "Cesar Chavez Day" in the United States, with Americans being urged to "observe this day with appropriate service, community, and educational programs to honor C?sar Ch?vez's enduring legacy".

I think he deserves his own day.

No, no he does not. This is out of control. No issue with Presidents Day or MLK Day, but this is not a worthy holiday. What's next, Mother Teresa Day? Einstein Day? This is a slippery slope where every day can become a national holiday and then we are off every day of the year.

Wait, I recant what I said....Cesar Chavez Day, we need more like this!!!!! Bring on the Fiesta!!!!!!!

*Note: this was a post mostly made in jest for those to thick of skull to realize it. If Chavez is deemed worthy enough for a holiday, that's fine by me...but there should be some degree of concern over the slippery slope. We can have a holiday like this and still keep working, like we do on many other days including today, St. Patty's Day, Valentine's Day (seriously, THAT deserves to be a day free from work), Halloween, and others. Of course most people with Service Industry jobs work the "non-working" holidays, so I don't really understand why others get those days off work, but whatever.

No, no he does not. This is out of control. No issue with Presidents Day or MLK Day, but this is not a worthy holiday. What's next, Mother Teresa Day? Einstein Day? This is a slippery slope where every day can become a national holiday and then we are off every day of the year.

Wait, I recant what I said....Cesar Chavez Day, we need more like this!!!!! Bring on the Fiesta!!!!!!!

*Note: this was a post mostly made in jest for those to thick of skull to realize it. If Chavez is deemed worthy enough for a holiday, that's fine by me...but there should be some degree of concern over the slippery slope. We can have a holiday like this and still keep working, like we do on many other days including today, St. Patty's Day, Valentine's Day (seriously, THAT deserves to be a day free from work), Halloween, and others. Of course most people with Service Industry jobs work the "non-working" holidays, so I don't really understand why others get those days off work, but whatever.

It's his day, named after him, numbskull, not a fucking national holiday. There is a difference. It's doesn't mean the Federal Government should be shut down, with people sitting at home from a day off work reflecting how much they appreciate lettuce.

Not opposed, he was born on the 31st so I guess that's why it's his day. But a medical center being shut down? They don't shut down for other similar holidays I don't believe..but either way I'm fine with it.

It's his day, named after him, numbskull, not a fucking national holiday. There is a difference. It's doesn't mean the Federal Government should be shut down, with people sitting at home from a day off work reflecting how much they appreciate lettuce.

First of all, as I so clearly stated in my post, it was mostly in jest. Secondly, some businesses used it as a reason to not be open, like the Dr in the OP. Finally, while it is not yet a federal holiday, Obama's comments open a door to that eventuality.

Honestly, I really do not believe I could care less. I really don't mind if a person gets a holiday named for them. I'm even willing to celebrate Thumb's Day. Why? Because I like the diversity represented in having as many different types of holidays as possible. I'm not stuck on religious holidays or national holidays. Everyday shoukd be celebrated, and if a particular day has been designated to honor someone, then it gives the world a chance to think and maybe....just maybe...give a little respect to others.

You know...like not calling someone a numbskull, especially when that numbskull was just having a little fun due to being called out by an earlier poster. I had hoped my post woukd have given Champ and you and others a chance to laugh, even if just a little bit. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Anyways the doctor on call got my Rx refilled within an hour;
as I was talking to her about it, I told her how much I respected Julio Cesar Chavez, even though the vast majority of his knockouts had come against Tijuana taxi drivers.

I told her that I felt bad for her that she didn't get Julio Cesar Chavez Day off, and, for what it was worth, I wasn't getting Julio Cesar Chavez Day off either.

Although it did give me the chance to go back in time and remember the controversial, chaotic and dramatic end of Chavez v Taylor I.

Some memories are worth a holiday, I guess, even though Chavez wasn't American, let alone Californian, and most of his time spent in the United States was spent in Nevada.

Last edited:
It's always about the slippery slope for every topic with zyxt...

In Northern Michigan there were schools that closed on the opening day of hunting season. I don't believe it was actually a National Holiday or even State Holiday, it was just that these schools had incredibly high absentee rates on the day hunting season opened. So they created a sort of Holiday for it, based on the fact that the population of the district was similar in that way. We never had it off but then again I didn't live in some small redneck town. It was sort of a Redneck Holiday.

I'm not the biggest boxing fan and will defer to Tinsel here, but if his doctors office is staffed predominantly by hardcore boxing afficianados, and/or serve that demographic, they might take the day off regardless.

Hell, ever been to Beverly Hills on Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah?

Freaking ghost towns.

Last edited:
pretty sure this guy never threw a punch:
dimex_cesarchavez.jpg

I'm not the biggest boxing fan and will defer to Tinsel here, but if his doctors office is staffed predominantly by hardcore boxing afficianados, and/or serve that demographic, they might take the day off regardless.

Hell, ever been to Beverly Hills on Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah?

Freaking ghost towns.

My Doctors office is out in We$tlake Village. Satellite UCLA office.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and also the begnning of Passover; I think before sundown the day is Preparation Day.

I've been wondering what tomorrow is going to look like businesswise.

My Doctors office is out in We$tlake Village. Satellite UCLA office.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and also the begnning of Passover; I think before sundown the day is Preparation Day.

I've been wondering what tomorrow is going to look like businesswise.

As a kid I always remember my Mom and Dad telling me to stay in the home all day on Good Friday. It's suppose to be a solemn and somber day. I even follow it to this day, 12-3 especially.

I expect businesses to be closed or half staffed.

Last edited:
As a kid I always remember my Mom and Dad telling me to stay in the home all day on Good Friday. It's suppose to be a solemn and somber day. I even follow it to this day, 12-3 especially.

I expect businesses to be closed or half staffed.

I always go out, have a big lunch and order a couple beers on Good Friday now.

I make it a point to order meat. the advent of cell-phone cameras has made trolling catholic family members a lot easier.

It's a Market Holiday. Meaning I don't need to take tomorrow as vacation time, having been off all week.

Spring Break!��

I make it a point to order meat. the advent of cell-phone cameras has made trolling catholic family members a lot easier.

McDonald's has half price sandwiches tomorrow.

Every Friday between Mardi Gras and Easter.

I'm not sure how a day tomorrow is going to be to try and sell crap to people.

EDIT: Half price fish sandwiches I meant.

That was the primary point.

Last edited:

Have fun.

Back