Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My Dr.'s Office Closed Today/Cultural Culinary Dilemma

We have friends coming to stay with us over the weekend here in the mountains and they are a non-religious Dad, Jewish Mom, son and daughter. They're being raised Jewish but aren't really that religious. My wife asked if their kids would want to hunt for Easter Eggs on Sunday and my buddy said something like, "my kids are Jewish but I'm sure they'd like to go looking for candy if little Vic is."

We were discussing dinner for tomorrow and hadn't thought about it being Good Friday or Passover

I always go out, have a big lunch and order a couple beers on Good Friday now.

I make it a point to order meat. the advent of cell-phone cameras has made trolling catholic family members a lot easier.

Do you have any Jewish family members who keep kosher?

If so you could have a bacon cheeseburger and troll them too.

I was going to give Cultural Culinary Dilemma it's own thread; but this one is seguing nicely into as it is, so I'm just gonna add that thread to this one.

As we all know, tomorrow starts Passover, which means tomorrow is the traditional Seder (even though Passover continues 7 or 8 days, tomorrow is pretty much the big one) and it's also Good Friday.

Now, say a person was raised Catholic - which I was - and continued to follow Catholicism as an adult - which I didn't - but was married to a culturally Jewish woman - which I am.

Now I don't adhere to abstinence (no meat on Friday) but let's say a person did; and the person had a Seder to attend after Sundown - that would be a little bit of a pickle.

Because ya gotta have chicken liver pate, and ya gotta have chicken matza soup it's just part of the whole thing, ya just gotta; which means obviously that it couldn't be a dairy meal, so the main dish would be meat, brisket or chicken for the most part.

So what would a person who couldn't eat meat on Good Friday do?

Beyond that; it's also a day of fasting; in the Catholic definition, only two light meals and no snacks - obviously the Seder dinner is going to interfere with that too.

So what would a person do?

Would a person seek absolution from the Priest, making the argument that after sundown, the no meat thing really didn't apply?

Might one support that by making the point that Jesus was culturally Jewish himself; and had had a meat dish Seder meal just the night before Good Friday?

Could one start the whole fast and abstinence thing Sundown Thursday night, making it 24 hours, most of which would been over the course of Good Friday, and figure that was good enough?

This secondary add on thread is for entertainment purposes about stuff that some people are quite serious about, just like the primary thread is too.

Last edited:
I was going to give Cultural Culinary Dilemma it's own thread; but this one is seguing nicely into as it is, so I'm just gonna add that thread to this one.

As we all know, tomorrow starts Passover, which means tomorrow is the traditional Seder (even though Passover continues 7 or 8 days, tomorrow is pretty much the big one) and it's also Good Friday.

Now, say a person was raised Catholic - which I was - and continued to follow Catholicism as an adult - which I didn't - but was married to a culturally Jewish woman - which I am.

Now I don't adhere to abstinence (no meat on Friday) but let's say a person did; and the person had a Seder to attend after Sundown - that would be a little bit of a pickle.

Because ya gotta have chicken liver pate, and ya gotta have chicken matza soup it's just part of the whole thing, ya just gotta; which means obviously that it couldn't be a dairy meal, so the main dish would be meat, brisket or chicken for the most part.

So what would a person who couldn't eat meat on Good Friday do?

Beyond that; it's also a day of fasting; in the Catholic definition, only two light meals and no snacks - obviously the Seder dinner is going to interfere with that too.

So what would a person do?

Would a person seek absolution from the Priest, making the argument that after sundown, the no meat thing really didn't apply?

Might one support that by making the point that Jesus was culturally Jewish himself; and had had a meat dish Seder meal just the night before Good Friday?

Could one start the whole fast and abstinence thing Sundown Thursday night, making it 24 hours, most of which would been over the course of Good Friday, and figure that was good enough?

This secondary add on thread is for entertainment purposes about stuff that some people are quite serious about, just like the primary thread is too.

If you consider it a dilemma, I think you've done 90% of what it takes to be a good Catholic. I don't know what's true and what isn't, but there are a lot of stories of monks making various exceptions as to what counts as a fish and the whole two meals and a snack (I thought it was one light meal, not much bigger than a snack) counting as fasting just shows you the level of effort people expect isn't that high anymore anyway.

Last edited:
that all sounds complicated.

why burden yourself with all that silliness? just man up, denounce it and be an atheist like me.

why burden yourself with all that silliness? just man up, denounce it and be an atheist like me.

It's not that complicated. You don't eat meat for a little while, then you feel superior to all the atheists. Simple.

Age could play a role..60 and above are automatically excused from the requirement to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Also if health is a concern, or some medical reason you need to eat meat (I don't what that would be) can be excused as well.

Does this mean not eat Seder food?

Because I really like the Seder food.

I'll probably have a couple of half-price fish sandwiches at McDonald's for lunch, and that will be it till dinner.

Does this mean not eat Seder food?

Because I really like the Seder food.

I'll probably have a couple of half-price fish sandwiches at McDonald's for lunch, and that will be it till dinner.

Double Filet of Fish is a good lunch during lent..

Hey has any of you Catholic guys ever had muskrat during Lent, like they do in Hamtramck and Wyandotte?

As I recall it now I'm remembering it's specifically Polish Catholic thing. Or at least I think so. I think it actually goes back to the old country itself.

It must be. I don't remember anyone inviting me over for a Muskrat dinner..

No, but I'd try muskrat if offered.

You'll be eating this:
muskrat.jpg

while I'm eating this:

tXnljF1.jpg

ChumP!

Back