Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My Dr.'s Office Closed Today/Cultural Culinary Dilemma

The reason Catholics can eat muskrat on Lent is so dumb:
RIVERVIEW, Mich. ? There?s an alternative to fish for some Michigan Catholics abstaining from meat on Fridays in Lent ? muskrat.

The custom of eating muskrat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays in Lent apparently goes back to the early 1800s, the time of Father Gabriel Richard, an early missionary in Michigan whose flock included French-Canadian trappers. Legend has it that because trappers and their families were going hungry not eating flesh during Lent, he allowed them to eat muskrat, with the reasoning that the mammal lives in the water.​

My wife told me she heard on the news that the Passover Seder and Good Friday happening on the same day is pretty rare.

My wife told me she heard on the news that the Passover Seder and Good Friday happening on the same day is pretty rare.

So this means it's the same as it was in the year Jesus was (allegedly) crucified?

Also, didn't this just happen with Thanksgiving & Yom Kippur? Not sure if the last one is right (I always get my Hebrew holidays confused). Maybe having their holidays on the same days as everyone else's is a cost saving measure?

So this means it's the same as it was in the year Jesus was (allegedly) crucified?

Also, didn't this just happen with Thanksgiving & Yom Kippur? Not sure if the last one is right (I always get my Hebrew holidays confused). Maybe having their holidays on the same days as everyone else's is a cost saving measure?

Yart.

The assumed Seder feast with Jesus and his disciples that would come to be known as The Last Supper (it certainly must have been a meat dish) would have been the night before Good Friday, and the execution of Jesus.

That said, I just read on line that the Passover Seder can't fall on that day for various reasons related to the Jewish holiday Calendar due to its proximity to Shabbot (the Sabbath) so who knows?

Thanksgiving seems kind of late in the year to me for Yom Kippur; but if it was we didn't fast.

EDIT: My wife just told me it was Chaunnakah that was on Thanksgiving last year.

Last edited:
Considering you can get a good burger anytime, I'd at least try muskrat or pretty much any animal. Don't get me wrong, cow is delicious...but I'm game to at least try anything. By looking at a crab,eel, snake, and other animals, you wouldn't know they taste so good.

I do not eat ants, grasshoppers, worms, etc. though. I do have a line that I don't cross.

Considering you can get a good burger anytime...

considering I can get a good burger anytime, I will get a good burger anytime. (Until I have a heart attack or triple bypass and my doctor puts me on a restrictive diet.)

considering I can get a good burger anytime, I will get a good burger anytime. (Until I have a heart attack or triple bypass and my doctor puts me on a restrictive diet.)

Didn't you hear?

After years and years of pre$$ure, the Chole$terol lobby finally per$uaded the United $tates government to change its dietary guideline recommendations.

Now it's okay for a person to whatever they want, as much as they want, whenever they want.

maybe it was Rosh Hashanah then.

Lol, RH comes the week before YK...but it's ok, not your celebrated holidays so not expecting you to know them.

I think what you are remembering is when Chanukah came unusually early and started around Thanksgiving. ;)

Lol, RH comes the week before YK...but it's ok, not your celebrated holidays so not expecting you to know them.

I think what you are remembering is when Chanukah came unusually early and started around Thanksgiving. ;)
yeah, that was it.

I didn't think it could be Chanukah, because it's usually around the time we go to the mall and buy lots of plastic junk from China.

yeah, that was it.

I didn't think it could be Chanukah, because it's usually around the time we go to the mall and buy lots of plastic junk from China.

That's actually a Winter Solstice ritual that goes back to the ancient Druids around 700 BC.

They got all them great big giant rocks from China too.

Students of the history of economics consider this to be the first example of outsourcing.

Ya beat me to it.

I had not beard before that the Last Supper could not have been a Passover Seder. I need to look into that. And I wonder if that takes into account the calendar change since then and the different start of the day.

I don't that I read that the Last Supper couldn't have been a Seder, what I read indicated that the Passover couldn't fall on the day of the week before Good Friday (commonly referred to as Thursday) now.

All kinds of calendar changes could have changed all kinds of stuff.

I'll try to find that source again; right now I gotta reboot.

I don't that I read that the Last Supper couldn't have been a Seder, what I read indicated that the Passover couldn't fall on the day of the week before Good Friday (commonly referred to as Thursday) now.

All kinds of calendar changes could have changed all kinds of stuff.

I'll try to find that source again; right now I gotta reboot.

Here - Tablet - A New Read on Jewish Life - this is where I read what I read.

That's very interesting, Tinsel. I had never heard anything about the 4 Gates before. Thanks for sharing that!!!

The reason Catholics can eat muskrat on Lent is so dumb:
RIVERVIEW, Mich. – There’s an alternative to fish for some Michigan Catholics abstaining from meat on Fridays in Lent – muskrat.

The custom of eating muskrat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays in Lent apparently goes back to the early 1800s, the time of Father Gabriel Richard, an early missionary in Michigan whose flock included French-Canadian trappers. Legend has it that because trappers and their families were going hungry not eating flesh during Lent, he allowed them to eat muskrat, with the reasoning that the mammal lives in the water.​

If Fr. Gabriel Richard started it, I definitely want to try it. I mean, I really like that other thing he started.

Last edited:
I had my cheeseburger for lunch today. It was delicious.

They also give you the option of getting half-onion strings, half french fries for a side. That was pretty great as well.

I had my cheeseburger for lunch today. It was delicious.

They also give you the option of getting half-onion strings, half french fries for a side. That was pretty great as well.

Did you troll your Catholic about the cheeseburger?

They wouldn't have been bothered by the fries and the onion rings.

When I go to Bob's Big Boy (it was Elias Brothers when I was growing up in Michigan; I don't know what it is now) I get half fries and half rings along with the Classic Big Boy Double Cheeseburger.

Today I was a little more refined; I had a chicken Cesar Salad and a couple small slices of gourmet cheese pizza.

Back