Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Few "insider" tidbits

dokuley

This info comes from the Scout board. I'm fairly new over there and am not sure if there is a rule (or unwritten rules) against posting things from there on other sites. If I'm out of line here, please someone let me know. Otherwise, word is from "insiders" that the depth chart is more set than what has been lead on.

Rudock will start at Utah. Shane only plays if he is inured or is unproductive.

Smith will be our feature back with green and Issac getting touches on situational downs or to give smith a breather.

Also,

So far, best player on defense: Delano Hill

So far, best player on offense: Kyle Kalis

Defense looks to be very solid and is getting a lot of pressure. Taco and Willie Henry looking good

Offense is still very sloppy and has a lot of timing routes.

Thanks for re-posting. I don't think there is any rule prohibiting re-posting here ...I know that on MGoBrian there is a rule against it because there is an agreement not to post "pay only" content on MGoBlog from other sites.

Post away ...I had a Rivals account many, many moons ago but found it more annoying than insightful, but for a couple weeks each year right about now.

The only thing you're not allowed to post here is "inside" info you've heard from Kirk Herbstreit personally.

It's not recommended that you post something you've heard from Dan Patrick, but it isn't forbidden.

If you post anything you've heard from Colin Cowhert, we're all just going to laugh at you.

Thanks guys. Cowhert...Lol. I know better than that! Fwiw, some of this is from Sam Web and some from another poster that I'm not as familiar with.

Also, KR/PR looks to be between Chesson and Peppers

Place kicking is shaky at best.

Starting WRs if the season started today although this is still somewhat open: Darboh, Chesson and then Grant Perry as the top slot guy. Then it's Mo Ways, Drake Harris, and Brian Cole was the next slot. Canteen has been working at CB.

Also, they are supposed to go "DARK" the next two weeks till the Utah game. I guess this is a deeper version of the sub.

Post away

I did hear Smith was looking the best at RB. The Delano Hill thing is kind of a surprise, though. If true, thats a huge plus. .

WR is actually the most interesting battle to me because we really don't know who's going to step up. This is the first year in a while we don't have at least one player who's a top returning WR talent. Most of the exciting information is about Harris. Darboh/Chesson seem to be the most consistent but it seems like Harris has been the most exciting player in practice.

I'm also pretty excited about Smith at RB. I've said all last year he was a more natural RB than Green was. He always seemed to hit better holes and do just a tad better with what he was given than Green was but I think Hoke felt he needed to play Green because he was a five star.

Is this info from the practice that students were invited to?

@bfidelman: Phone blackout is because the team is doing red zone work, team doesn't want pictures coming out.

No video or phones at this practice
From spectators
@bfidelman: First 200 students are going to be on the field. Team wants a "end zone atmosphere" for the drills.

Not tonight's practice. Posted a couple days ago actually. Phones were actually banned for the practice tonight where violators were asked to leave

From some observer's of tonight's practice....

"The guys that played with the first team defensive line most were Willie Henry, Matt Godin, and Ryan Glasgow. Was pretty surprised at the lack of Taco Charlton and Lawrence Marshall neither played much. Chris Wormley and Maurice Hurst both rotated in and I would say overall the group was just solid."

"The walk-on Kyle Seychel blew the other walk-on Kenny Allen out of the water. Andrew David didn't get any kicks."

*"Morgan looked good in pass drops, Bolden's presence was definitely felt at the line of scrimmage."

Jourdan Lewis was held out with injury

Michigan played with five DBs (i.e. the the nickel package). The 1s were as follows...

CB - Jeremy Clark
Nickel - Jabrill Peppers
S - Jarrod Wilson
S- Delano Hill
CB - Channing Stribling

One observer's take: "Jabrill looked amazing. He would have probably blown Rudock up on one play if it was a real game

: "RB nearly no separation. Smith got the most playing time, but I think green ran the hardest. Ty (Isaac) didn?t do much of anything"

The starting OL was

LT - Mason Cole
LG - Dave Dawson -- others have mentioned Ben Braden with the 1s... they must have split snaps (shouldn't come as surprise to anyone here*)
C - Graham Glasgow
RG - Kyle Kalis
RT - Erik Magnuson

One observer's take: "The O-line looked good for the most part. *The only guy that seemed to have a little trouble was Magnuson. *He was beaten a few times."

a group of players that did not practice, as follows:

- Brian Cole
- Canteen (right arm in sling)
- Kugler (crutches)
- Darboh (Fingers in splint)
- Lewis
- Wheatley (crutches, he has a foot injury)
- Higdon

Continued....

Deveon Smith was the #1 guy. *He got most of the carries and looked good.*"Smith did good job of finding the holes and showed good burst." Green seemed to get the second most carries. Then it was Ty Isaac getting the fewest among the top group.

Darboh was hurt so the first string WRs wre Jehu Chesson and Drake Harris. The #1 slot was Grant Perry. "Drake Harris looked really good. He looked explosive out there." Mo Ways seemed to be next on the depth chart. Freddy Canteenwas in street clothes.

Jake Rudock outplayed Shane by a mile. One observer's take: "Rudock looked good. *He was more accurate, he threw with better touch, and he is more mobile than people give him credit for. *He took the majority of the snaps, which suggests they have him as the clear cut guy." Shane got in next. Same observer's take: "Shane overthrew guys a lot." Wilton Speight was the third QB. They didn't see the other guys in scrimmage action.

Grant Perry and Drake Harris are running with the 1s. Harris is making plays out there. Jake Rudock was the first quarterback out there. "Looked good." Shane was the second quarterback out there.

*** Most of the previous was from Sam Web per sources ***

Also, looking like a full time switch to DB for canteen is likely.

Not tonight's practice. Posted a couple days ago actually. Phones were actually banned for the practice tonight where violators were asked to leave

http://www.maizenbrew.com/football/...michigan-football-open-practice-live-tweetcap

Wow. Not really a lot of shocking info, but a few things stand out.

Harbaugh is really, really secretive right now. I don't know if he was like this at stanford, but it's bordering on the edge of paranoia. It's either that or there is some strategy. It'd only work for the Utah game, but I guess anything to keep them off guard...

Wayne Lyons playing with the second team is probably the craziest thing to me so far.

Seems like there are a lot of injuries, even if they are small ones. I wonder just how rough the hidden practices are.

OL is pretty much the lineup we thought.

Disappointed that Green and Isaac haven't been able to beat out Deveon Smith. I like the guy, but those two have a lot more potential. Makes me worry that our RB and/or OL groups aren't any better.

Seems that our kickers suck again. Again. I thought we had that worked out a couple years ago. I do not want to go back to that.

I think everyone is shocked with the news about Delano Hill. I've heard about him on this board and others. These tweets make it seem real. I've never thought he was any good, so I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Happy to see Drake Harris playing well.

Edit: I guess you added the other posts right before i finished this. Oh well.

No, this is from previous practices. The few people who can watch have leaked some stuff to people like Sam Webb. Not much though, much much less than in previous years.

The student practice last night did seem to confirm what Sam said here though -- that Rudock and Smith are the #1s mostly in practice.

The one thing that's pretty consistent is that I think we should be worried about our kicking game this year.

I'm pretty excited about the Harris talk. He's had some bad injury luck and it's good to see he might be the player we need on the outside to make some plays -- assuming he can stay healthy. He still seems like 20-30lbs underweight for a WR that size.

Last edited:
http://www.maizenbrew.com/football/...michigan-football-open-practice-live-tweetcap

Wow. Not really a lot of shocking info, but a few things stand out.

Harbaugh is really, really secretive right now. I don't know if he was like this at stanford, but it's bordering on the edge of paranoia. It's either that or there is some strategy. It'd only work for the Utah game, but I guess anything to keep them off guard...

Wayne Lyons playing with the second team is probably the craziest thing to me so far.

Seems like there are a lot of injuries, even if they are small ones. I wonder just how rough the hidden practices are.

OL is pretty much the lineup we thought.

Disappointed that Green and Isaac haven't been able to beat out Deveon Smith. I like the guy, but those two have a lot more potential. Makes me worry that our RB and/or OL groups aren't any better.

Seems that our kickers suck again. Again. I thought we had that worked out a couple years ago. I do not want to go back to that.

I think everyone is shocked with the news about Delano Hill. I've heard about him on this board and others. These tweets make it seem real. I've never thought he was any good, so I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Happy to see Drake Harris playing well.

Edit: I guess you added the other posts right before i finished this. Oh well.

I'm not surprised by the RB position. I view Green as the worst RB on the roster. Bad vision, easy to bring down because of the way he runs. Smith isn't going to break an 80 yard run ever, but he finds the hole and always gets the extra couple of yards once he is hit. I'll take that for now.

From some observer's of tonight's practice....

"The guys that played with the first team defensive line most were Willie Henry, Matt Godin, and Ryan Glasgow. Was pretty surprised at the lack of Taco Charlton and Lawrence Marshall neither played much. Chris Wormley and Maurice Hurst both rotated in and I would say overall the group was just solid."

"The walk-on Kyle Seychel blew the other walk-on Kenny Allen out of the water. Andrew David didn't get any kicks."

*"Morgan looked good in pass drops, Bolden's presence was definitely felt at the line of scrimmage."

Jourdan Lewis was held out with injury

Michigan played with five DBs (i.e. the the nickel package). The 1s were as follows...

CB - Jeremy Clark
Nickel - Jabrill Peppers
S - Jarrod Wilson
S- Delano Hill
CB - Channing Stribling

One observer's take: "Jabrill looked amazing. He would have probably blown Rudock up on one play if it was a real game

: "RB nearly no separation. Smith got the most playing time, but I think green ran the hardest. Ty (Isaac) didn?t do much of anything"

The starting OL was

LT - Mason Cole
LG - Dave Dawson -- others have mentioned Ben Braden with the 1s... they must have split snaps (shouldn't come as surprise to anyone here*)
C - Graham Glasgow
RG - Kyle Kalis
RT - Erik Magnuson

One observer's take: "The O-line looked good for the most part. *The only guy that seemed to have a little trouble was Magnuson. *He was beaten a few times."

a group of players that did not practice, as follows:

- Brian Cole
- Canteen (right arm in sling)
- Kugler (crutches)
- Darboh (Fingers in splint)
- Lewis
- Wheatley (crutches, he has a foot injury)
- Higdon

except for the lack of snaps for Taco, this seems to confirm the observations about the OL and DL from the BTN.

Back