Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Franzen placed on long-term IR

Not entirely surprised to hear this. Was expecting it to happen sometime this year, but I am surprised it came after only two games..and I don't recall him getting hit in either game.

I'm glad he gave it another shot and tried his best to make it work, but he needs to think long term and hopefully makes the best decision for
Him and his family...

Let's just hope that Pulk or Jurco can take this opportunity and run with it now.

Probably best for both sides that he retire. Preserves what's left of his health and frees up a roster space for another young gun. Cap hit is manageable since the kids earn so little in their early years.

lol 11 year contract...crazy.

Ya that was back when all GM's were handing out 10+ year contracts to circumvent the Cap by lowering the avg. cap hit. Atleast Franzen had a chance to play out his contact at age 39. Hossa was signed until age 42, and the worst by far is Pronger, who is still getting paid from his Philly contract - even tho hes been out of the league for 3+ years, And works for the league now...

Im glad they modified the rules so that teams couldnt do that crap any longer.

Franzen had the tools to be a great one, but he was MADDENINGLY inconsistent. He could go four weeks with 2 points, and then score 5 goals four straight games.

Maybe a lot to do with the injury, he just wasn't your "grinder"-type in that big man's body. When you are built like him, you have to welcome contact. He didn't.

Back