Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wildcard

biggunsbob

O''s. 88-73.........1left @ NYY 1
Toronto 88-73..........1left. @ Boston 1
Detroit 86-74....... .2left @ Atlanta 1,Indians.1.
M's. 86-75.........1 left. A's 1

Wins and losses and games left updated.

Last edited:

Cost of attending games soared out of reach for many, even those who can likely go less often. I have only been to Comerica once for its inaugural season. MLB rarely broadcasts a game on "free" over the airwaves TV either. Not the best way to attract new or retain longtime fans by always obligating payment.

I remember going to "real" doubleheaders @ the late Tiger Stadium, with my teenage friends on a lark, taking the bus there and back. buying a ticket for sitting in the upper or lower-decks or bleacners, with a couple of soft-drinks, hot-dogs, and peanuts, for about $10.00 total. Now its "Will that be Visa or Mastercard"

Last edited:
Cost of attending games soared out of reach for many, even those who can likely go less often. I have only been to Comerica once for its inaugural season. MLB rarely broadcasts a game on "free" over the airwaves TV either. Not the best way to attract new or retain longtime fans by always obligating payment.

I remember going to "real" doubleheaders @ the late Tiger Stadium, with my teenage friends on a lark, taking the bus there and back. buying a ticket for sitting in the upper or lower-decks or bleacners, with a couple of soft-drinks, hot-dogs, and peanuts, for about $10.00 total. Now its "Will that be Visa or Mastercard"

I think this is exactly why people go less often. I haven't been to a Tigers game in a few years. The last game I went to was the afternoon game when JV was pitching against Weaver and Guillen hit that HR. Between parking, traffic, the expense of tickets, bad seats and expense of concessions...it wasn't worth it. I can sit at home and watch on a 65" tv. When I want to go to a game I go to a minor league game. I probably go to 4-5 a year.

Yep, big screen TV, great seats, your own food.. I plan on going to an Arizona fall league game or two.

I planned on going to a game late in the season and kinda had the idea in my head by if by some odd chance they made the playoffs, save all my marbles and go to one of those games. I'm 3+ hours from Comerica and been to probably 25 games there. Love the experience every single time but you guys are right it is expensive. And it's a lot more fun to stay the night that way you're not on your butt for 9 hours between the game and the drive. Tickets, hotel, gas, food, easily $500 bucks. Thinking about going to see the Lions/Bears game in December instead. I know my wife would prefer that. Bears fan. LOL

I have been to 8 minor league games this year and 1 MLB. I am trying to go to the Tiger season finale on October 2nd. I usually sit between 1B and 3B on the lower levels. I eat at the game and I buy souvenirs/programs. A minor league game for myself is easily $10-15 for a seat. The same type of seats at an MLB park is somewhere between $50-$200. Even Minor League Teams cannot sell out, even on weekends.

Last edited:
Toronto with hardest schedule remaining.

Astros with six against the Angels.

Going to be close.

Winning fills seats ...

2016: 31,374
2015: 33,655
2014: 36,015
2013: 38,067

with 10 to go I'm going to project it's going to take 91 to outright get the top WC spot over Baltimore IMO. that means 9-1 in the final 10 I think Toronto will fade right on out of it with Houston becoming the biggest threat for em for that second spot. meh prolly not going to happen. Maybe 7-3 gets them the second spot..maybe... at this point it's still a long shot IMO given 7 of the final 10 are against KC and Cleveland, not optimistic.

Last edited:
Saw this article on ESPN about a possible six way tie for the wild card...lol

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/...n-end-up-in-a-six-way-wild-card-tie-in-the-al

On Thursday, Jayson Stark wrote about the wild-card tiebreaker scenarios in the American League. Unfortunately, he didn't include a plan for a six-way tie ... because no plan exists!

But it could happen and here's how, with each team's record entering Friday's action, their remaining schedule and their wins and losses the rest of the way:

Toronto Blue Jays (83-69)

NYY -- Loss

NYY -- Loss

NYY -- Win

NYY -- Loss

BAL -- Win

BAL -- Loss

BAL -- Loss

@BOS -- Win

@BOS -- Loss

@BOS -- Loss

Rest of way: 3-7

Final record: 86-76

Detroit Tigers (82-70)

KC -- Loss

KC -- Win

KC -- Loss

CLE -- Loss

CLE -- Win

CLE -- Loss

CLE -- Loss

@ATL -- Win

@ATL -- Loss

@ATL -- Win

Rest of way: 4-6

Baltimore Orioles (82-71)

ARI -- Win

ARI -- Win

ARI -- Loss

@TOR -- Loss

@TOR -- Win

@TOR -- Win

@NYY -- Loss

@NYY -- Loss

@NYY -- Loss

Rest of way: 4-5

Houston Astros (82-71)

LAA -- Win

LAA -- Loss

LAA -- Win

SEA -- Loss

SEA -- Win

SEA -- Loss

@LAA -- Win

@LAA -- Win

@LAA -- Loss

Rest of way: 5-4

Seattle Mariners (80-72)

@MIN -- Win

@MIN -- Win

@MIN -- Loss

@HOU -- Win

@HOU -- Loss

@HOU -- Win

OAK -- Win

OAK -- Win

OAK -- Loss

OAK -- Loss

Rest of way: 6-4

New York Yankees (79-73)

@TOR -- Win

@TOR -- Win

@TOR -- Loss

@TOR -- Win

BOS -- Loss

BOS -- Loss

BOS -- Win

BAL -- Win

BAL -- Win

BAL -- Win

Rest of way: 7-3

So there you go! The most important series for this dream scenario to happen is this four-game series between the Yankees and Blue Jays in Toronto, Friday through Monday. The Yankees need to take three of four or even sweep to create any kind of odds of a six-way tie. Of course, we're talking about the team that is probably the weakest of the contenders (and Masahiro Tanaka will miss his next start on Monday) doing this on the road against the strongest of the contenders.

And what would happen if there is a six-way tie? Jayson wrote that it's basically up to commissioner Rob Manfred. Remember, the actual wild-card game is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 4, and the Division Series is to start that Thursday, so you need a scenario that gets everything done as quickly as possible.

My idea is you would seed the teams 1 through 6 based on combined winning percentage against the other five teams (preferred) or run differential or a simple random lottery. The bottom four teams play on Monday with the winners advancing to play the top two teams on Tuesday (those teams would play on the road against Monday's winners). The winners of Tuesday's games are your wild-card teams and play the wild-card game on Wednesday.

Sound like fun?

with 10 to go I'm going to project it's going to take 91 to outright get the top WC spot over Baltimore IMO. that means 9-1 in the final 10 I think Toronto will fade right on out of it with Houston becoming the biggest threat for em for that second spot. meh prolly not going to happen. Maybe 7-3 gets them the second spot..maybe... at this point it's still a long shot IMO given 7 of the final 10 are against KC and Cleveland, not optimistic.

If you're projecting Toronto to fade 91 isn't going to be the top spot.

Baltimore would have to go 8 and 1 to require 91 in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man That Would Be awesome !!!!

86-76 and baseball Armageddon!!!!!!!!!

If you're projecting Toronto to fade 91 isn't going to be the top spot.

Baltimore would have to go 8 and 1 to require 91 in that case.

oh you're right for some reason I counted an extra game for Baltimore. I have them going 7-2 for their final 9 putting them at 89 then, that means 90 gets the top WC spot outright. 8-2 for the tigers then needed.

Freaking can't beat KC and cleaveland consistently has killed us.

Back