Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wildcard

Game out. Very possible.

I'm not changing my outlook everytime I do they start losing again. works better this way. They will need to win all remaining games IMO, Tinsel keeps saying they blow it on the final day game 162. sounds about right..

I'm not changing my outlook everytime I do they start losing again. works better this way. They will need to win all remaining games IMO, Tinsel keeps saying they blow it on the final day game 162. sounds about right..

If they were a 2-run PH homer that Baltimore hit from being tied with them, assuming we hold on - it's certainly possible. Not thinking they make it is fine but it's possible.

1987. Check that last week out..

1987 season . The last week was something , check out the last 30 ish games . Tigers were either up 1 or 2 or down 1 and 2. August 5th was the last time thru were down 3.
Tigers up a half on September 20th then down 3.5 on September 26th. Amazing last week.

September 25th and 26th at toronto lost both in walkoffs and both with 3 runs in the bottom of the ninth. Tigers were 3.5 games back then. Tigers flip it the following week going 6-2 next eight including the final four games . Second to last in 13 innings.
That last game was something with Jimmy key and frank Tanana. Tigers only get 3 hits but Larry Herndon saves the day in the second inning .

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/1987-schedule-scores.shtml

Last edited:
Maybe there is something to how wore out the tigers were from winning the division. Because Twins went through us like knife on hot butter :/

Last edited:
1987 season . The last week was something , check out the last 30 ish games . Tigers were either up 1 or 2 or down 1 and 2. August 5th was the last time thru were down 3.
Tigers up a half on September 20th then down 3.5 on September 26th. Amazing last week.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/1987-schedule-scores.shtml

And I remember (the last week) before they played Toronto they were like 3-3 or something similar but Toronto was even worse which is why we were close that last series. Nonetheless, great finish.

Geesh. We are just talking about playing for a game 163. Only in baseball. If NHL or NBA did something similar it would be laughed at. Granted, in hockey, most teams aren't out of it until the end anyways. But it is the thought of a 1-game play in game.

Does it beat going home after 162 games? Well yes. But it still is just a ruse to get people to spend money at the end of the season. Game 163 (assuming no ties) is not making the playoffs. Game 164 (assuming no ties) is making the playoffs.

Geesh. We are just talking about playing for a game 163. Only in baseball. If NHL or NBA did something similar it would be laughed at. Granted, in hockey, most teams aren't out of it until the end anyways. But it is the thought of a 1-game play in game.

Does it beat going home after 162 games? Well yes. But it still is just a ruse to get people to spend money at the end of the season. Game 163 (assuming no ties) is not making the playoffs. Game 164 (assuming no ties) is making the playoffs.

don't forget, it's a business.

And the position that the tigers find themselves in is still vastly better than what 90 percent of the board predicted

Well, except for the Yankees, who still have a slim mathematical chance for the wild card (which could vanish with tonight's results), each team in the AL wild card race will be playing their final series against teams with not much to play for. Red Sox have clinched, Yankees are virtually gone, and the Braves were eliminated seems like around 4th of July. And each team (Tigs, O's and Jays) are on the road. So no real distinct advantage, other than on paper, the Braves are the weakest opponent.

So it comes down to who can win when it counts the most. Unfortunately Tigers bullpen is so shaky I'm afraid it will again be our Achilles.

Last edited:

You make it sound like it's one an finish like they can't advance more? Maybe you forgot the Royals 2014 run? It's a chance whether we get in or there's a 7 way tie .. Geez.

And the reason for close finishes at the end for the NHL and NBA is so many freakin' teams get in..

Last edited:
Man all those close games we gaged away hurt. I wonder which team gaged the more close games away during the season?

Last edited:
Yup, the recent blown save with two outs against KC, but then the one that really stands out for me was losing that double header in Chicago, first base was open and eaton hits it right were he'd been hitting against us all year for the win..that one really ticked me off at the time

You make it sound like it's one an finish like they can't advance more? Maybe you forgot the Royals 2014 run? It's a chance whether we get in or there's a 7 way tie .. Geez.

And the reason for close finishes at the end for the NHL and NBA is so many freakin' teams get in..

And if NHL and NBA went to a 3 teams clinch and teams 4 and 5 play 1 game to determine who gets in you wouldn't find that silly?

I get the fact they could win game 163 and then go on to win the World Series. What I am saying, based on having disappointment in the past, I will reserve my emotions until they are "in the playoffs" and not just playing in game 163. The hype is what baseball wants, but I am not buying the kool-aid.

Well I guess everyday there is still a chance and I don't have to give a rip about the lions is a good day!

Last edited:
Looks like Baltimore is going to win tonight, 1.5 behind both Toronto and Baltimore, either wc spot still possible

Last edited:
With the O's up 4-0 late looks like they will tie Toronto for the top spot leaving us 1.5 back of both. Maybe that is a good thing . Closer to two teams may give us a tad better shot of one of them faltering right ? Man do we need a sweep in Atlanta .

Last edited:
With the O's up 4-0 late looks like they will tie Toronto for the top spot leaving us 1.5 back of both. Maybe that is a good thing . Closer to two teams may give us a tad better shot of one of them faltering right ? Man do we need a sweep in Atlanta .

Absolutely, thinking the same thing, but...not going to get my hopes up

148282.png

Braves 9-1 last ten games :/

31-58. Allstar break
34-46 after allstar break.
----------------
65-92

Braves 9-1 last ten games :/

31-58. Allstar break
34-46 after allstar break.
----------------
65-92
Won 10 of their last 11 now. Including consecutive series wins vs Washington, Mets, Miami, and Phily.

Hottest team in baseball right now, closing out their stadium. Have a bad feeling about this series

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I would rather be 0.5 back of one team. At least the Tigers would have had their own destiny in hand. Being 1.5 back you need help.

Back