Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Braves 10-2-16 Game # 161

I have been trying to point out to Sbee that Ausmus is currently incompetent at his profession and should not be pursuing it at this level. Brad should be paying his dues in places like Bowling Green, Burlington and Benoit, where no one care about his mistakes or even knows about them.

Lots of subjectivity here, you can, with the benefit of hindsight, point out moves that didn't work out, that's the beauty of being a fan.

It's just as easy to say that this team overachieved given the roster, bad contracts, bad signings, and injuries they had. The problem is that goes against the narrative of the mob mentality, that we'll finally win a world series once we replace one of the most insignificant factors in a teams performance.

We have a slow team, so I don't see us leading in any baserunning categories. Miggy is horrible, thinks he's crafty and runs into outs, he was the same with Leyland. I'll let you prove me wrong with stats if they're out there but I don't think that our baserunning has changed much since Leyland was manager.

Joe Maddon is an outlier, I've always liked him. I like closer by committee, I like him using a catcher with a high OBP in the leadoff spot, etc, going against conventional wisdom. I can't really think of any other managers that buck the system like that. I wish Ausmus or any manager of the tigers would make that move, but I can only think of 1 out of 30 that do that.

again, the amount of time dedicated to discussing such a minor facet of the teams performance is astounding.

There is absolutely NO relationship between sound baserunning and speed or lack there of. The ability to take an extra base (or determine that you can't), to avoid being picked off, to anticipate situations rather than react to them is often the differentiation between winning and losing 3-4 games in a season.

UBR (Ultimate Base Running), MIN 150 PA: (6 =outstanding, 0=average, -1.5 below average)

MLB Leader is Jose Ramirez @ 6.9

Tigers Spd UBR (runs)
Jose Iglesias 3.6 2.6
Ian Kinsler 5.8 2.4
C. Maybin 6.9 2
Justin Upton 4.2 1.8
Andrew Romine 7.3 1
Tyler Collins 4.6 0.3
Mike Aviles 4.3 0.3
Jarrod Salt 2.1 -0.5
J.D. Martinez 2.7 -1.7
James McCann 1.9 -1.8
Nick Castellanos 3.6 -3
Miguel Cabrera 1.3 -6.6
Victor Martinez 0.8 -9.2

Lots of subjectivity here, you can, with the benefit of hindsight, point out moves that didn't work out, that's the beauty of being a fan.
No I was pointing out moves as they were being made, or ones not made, or the general lack of ability in leveraging the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of his roster.

It's just as easy to say that this team overachieved given the roster, bad contracts, bad signings, and injuries they had. The problem is that goes against the narrative of the mob mentality, that we'll finally win a world series once we replace one of the most insignificant factors in a teams performance.

The poor baserunning is simply a symptom of a larger issue.

We have a slow team, so I don't see us leading in any baserunning categories. Miggy is horrible, thinks he's crafty and runs into outs, he was the same with Leyland. I'll let you prove me wrong with stats if they're out there but I don't think that our baserunning has changed much since Leyland was manager.

Joe Maddon is an outlier, I've always liked him. I like closer by committee, I like him using a catcher with a high OBP in the leadoff spot, etc, going against conventional wisdom. I can't really think of any other managers that buck the system like that. I wish Ausmus or any manager of the tigers would make that move, but I can only think of 1 out of 30 that do that.

again, the amount of time dedicated to discussing such a minor facet of the teams performance is astounding.

I would put Terry Francona in that category with Maddon as well.

6 times Justin Verlander pitched 7 or more innings allowing 1 or ZERO runs..and DET lost.

Back