Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers will bring Ausmus back

+12 in pythagorean wins. baserunning was terrible, but it was terrible under Leyland largely due to the way the roster was constructed. the bottom two baserunners have been on this team for a long time and dragged us down in that area, of course they have been excellent middle of the order hitters as well. It's hard to get a lot better at baserunning without sacrificing in other areas.

So MLB-caliber players who are bad baserunners are incapable of improving this skill? And it's going to "affect" ... what, exactly?

Did you watch BOS-CLE last night?

So MLB-caliber players who are bad baserunners are incapable of improving this skill? And it's going to "affect" ... what, exactly?

Did you watch BOS-CLE last night?

The Tigers two worst baserunners are Miggy and V-Mart and they are the two players that are on base most often. Together they have 16,224 plate appearances. These two are not going to improve their skills, they are most likely going to get worse due to age.

The Tigers two worst baserunners are Miggy and V-Mart and they are the two players that are on base most often. Together they have 16,224 plate appearances. These two are not going to improve their skills, they are most likely going to get worse due to age.

I do not think they are the worst baserunners. They are the slowest baserunners.

I do not think they are the worst baserunners. They are the slowest baserunners.

I must have misinterpreted your post.

UBR (Ultimate Base Running), MIN 150 PA: (6 =outstanding, 0=average, -1.5 below average)

MLB Leader is Jose Ramirez @ 6.9

Tigers Spd UBR (runs)
Jose Iglesias 3.6 2.6
Ian Kinsler 5.8 2.4
C. Maybin 6.9 2
Justin Upton 4.2 1.8
Andrew Romine 7.3 1
Tyler Collins 4.6 0.3
Mike Aviles 4.3 0.3
Jarrod Salt 2.1 -0.5
J.D. Martinez 2.7 -1.7
James McCann 1.9 -1.8
Nick Castellanos 3.6 -3
Miguel Cabrera 1.3 -6.6
Victor Martinez 0.8 -9.2

I must have misinterpreted your post.

UBR (Ultimate Base Running), MIN 150 PA: (6 =outstanding, 0=average, -1.5 below average)

MLB Leader is Jose Ramirez @ 6.9

Tigers Spd UBR (runs)
Jose Iglesias 3.6 2.6
Ian Kinsler 5.8 2.4
C. Maybin 6.9 2
Justin Upton 4.2 1.8
Andrew Romine 7.3 1
Tyler Collins 4.6 0.3
Mike Aviles 4.3 0.3
Jarrod Salt 2.1 -0.5
J.D. Martinez 2.7 -1.7
James McCann 1.9 -1.8
Nick Castellanos 3.6 -3
Miguel Cabrera 1.3 -6.6
Victor Martinez 0.8 -9.2

I'd consider Romine, Maybin, Castellanos and J.D. Martinez as the inferior baserunners based on these metrics. VM just can't run. I've not known Miguel to make bad decisions on the basepaths.

Last edited:
I'd consider Romine, Maybin, Castellanos and J.D. Martinez as the inferior baserunners based on these metrics. VM just can't run. I've not known Miguel to make bad decisions on the basepaths.

Miguel is horrible on the bases, thinks he's crafty and tries to take an extra base, he runs into a ton of outs and he always has a good hitter behind him.

I don't think you're going to be average or better in baserunning with those two in the lineup every day. Of course you gain a lot in other offensive categories, though victor is diminishing quite a bit. It's hard to find guys that deliver that kind of run production and are also good baserunners, there isn't a mike trout on every roster.

Miguel is horrible on the bases, thinks he's crafty and tries to take an extra base, he runs into a ton of outs and he always has a good hitter behind him.

I don't think you're going to be average or better in baserunning with those two in the lineup every day. Of course you gain a lot in other offensive categories, though victor is diminishing quite a bit. It's hard to find guys that deliver that kind of run production and are also good baserunners, there isn't a mike trout on every roster.

Mike Trout's UBR is 3.3. There are five players in the top 30 (200 PA) with OPS under .700. 19 with wRC+ 100 or more (100 is average). I'd say there are a lot good run-producing baserunners when you consider that you have to get to #192 before you are into negative UBR numbers.

I concede Cabrera's lack of BR skills.

Last edited:
Back