Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lame places to drink

Michchamp

The only place conveniently on my way home where I can grab a beer without getting nagged at for being too late is Whole Foods. The one by my house has a beer/wine bar in it.

the people that drink there are either all pushing 70, suburban IT workers with their laptops open, or heavily tattooed 20 somethings that apparently live at home with their parents (not a lot of apartments in subdivision land). not in their parents' basements, because there are no basements in Texas.

They have a unique selection of beers, but its mostly weird stuff... odd IPAs, chocolate stouts, pumpkin ales, etc.

I suck.

There is a place close to local University which is busier at noon during weekday than a Friday/Saturday night.

Average age is pushing 70.

Beer selection is awful. Coors light, Molson, and Blue.

Why no basements in Texas? I would think in the heart of tornado territory a basement/cellar would be a requirement.

Plus, where else you gonna hide yo guns when Obama and the Dems come for 'em?

Why no basements in Texas? I would think in the heart of tornado territory a basement/cellar would be a requirement.

Plus, where else you gonna hide yo guns when Obama and the Dems come for 'em?

I've heard the reasons here in Houston are the soil is too impermeable and the water table too high, so basements would flood all the time. There are also no basements (or they are extremely rare) in other parts of Texas... like Dallas-Ft Worth.

so I suspect it could also be contractors here are too dumb and too lazy to care to build them correctly. Texas is the land of shoddy throw-up/tear-down construction, I've learned. within the big cities, building codes are barely enforced, and outside of the big cities they aren't enforced at all.

When I was looking at houses on Zillow before I moved here, I kept noticing none had basements. So I added "basement" to the keyword search and literally every listing in Houston disappeared.

The only place conveniently on my way home where I can grab a beer without getting nagged at for being too late is Whole Foods. The one by my house has a beer/wine bar in it.

the people that drink there are either all pushing 70, suburban IT workers with their laptops open, or heavily tattooed 20 somethings that apparently live at home with their parents (not a lot of apartments in subdivision land). not in their parents' basements, because there are no basements in Texas.

They have a unique selection of beers, but its mostly weird stuff... odd IPAs, chocolate stouts, pumpkin ales, etc.

I suck.

Isn't there just a plain old liquor store on the drive home where you can just stop and get a case of Mickey's grenades and a gallon of Jack Daniels and just go and drink at home like a grown ass married man?

Isn't there just a plain old liquor store on the drive home where you can just stop and get a case of Mickey's grenades and a gallon of Jack Daniels and just go and drink at home like a grown ass married man?

No, the 'partner' is there. He is obviously looking for some quicky side action hence why he alluded to a complete lack of tail at his establishment of choice.

Or perhaps sausage if that is what floats his boat. Explains the suck comment.

No, the 'partner' is there. He is obviously looking for some quicky side action hence why he alluded to a complete lack of tail at his establishment of choice.

Or perhaps sausage if that is what floats his boat. Explains the suck comment.

I'm pretty sure neither.

But your post IS pretty funny.

Last edited:

it's not everyday, just once a week, if that. I like to have a beer before going home and having to deal with giving kids a bath, putting them to bed, etc. if I have a beer after all that, I just fall asleep.

I've been in a Whole Foods one time. I was headed to see the Roger Waters film about his recent Wall tour and realized when I got there that I didn't have a light for my bowl. The theater was in some uppity outdoor mall and the only even somewhat plausible place I could see that might sell a lighter was Whole Foods. I walked in there and asked the 20-something cashier who had a stud nose ring that looked like a booger on the outside of her nostril if they had any. The look of disgust on her face was priceless. Ended up driving further out to find a gas station. I missed the first 10 minutes or so of the film, but at least I was high enough to not care that Roger Waters was totally lip synching and his actual voice sounds like someone gargling razor blades.

But yeah, Whole Foods sucks and so do you.

Back