Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tobacco Statistics & Facts

Always weary of stats like this. Especially when the WHO page they get their information from does not provide any methodology of how said statistics were compiled.

For example, lung cancer is a tobacco related disease. There are many causes for lung cancer including air pollution. Considering Windsor in Canada just across the river is one of the worst places for air quality in the entire country. A lot of it due to the garbage incineration on the Detroit side combined with the large number of trucks passing through the area.

Another example, the factsheet claims 80% of smokers come from low-medium income countries. Which is WOW such an eye popping figure. Just wondering, what percentage of the world's population would also come from to the same low-medium income countries.

India, China, Pakistan alone combine for almost 3 billion people.
Indonesia, Brasil, Nigeria, Bangladesh, and Russia are almost another billion.

Fairly certain nobody would consider any of those HIGH income countries.
So just from 9/10 of biggest countries by population we are at 4/7 of the world population.

Still weather you agree or disagree with the methodology of the article the whole point is that that tobacco industry has been lying to the public for years and making huge profits off of death. Tobacco is a scourge that is just another strain on our Healthcare system. Tax them even more would be fine by me.

Last edited:
Still weather you agree or disagree with the methodology of the article the whole point is that that tobacco industry has been lying to the public for years and making huge profits off of death. Tobacco is a scourge that is just another strain on our Healthcare system. Tax them even more would be fine by me.

it's been 50+ years...anybody that uses tobacco knows the risks.

it's been 50+ years...anybody that uses tobacco knows the risks.

not totally true, which is why for a long time tobacco companies were targeting minors with their advertising.

Though I doubt that would concern you. you strike me as the kind of guy who would sit and watch a toddler sticking a fork in an electrical outlet, and say "I explained to him not to do that several months ago, so he should be aware of the risks. if he dies its his own fault."

then you'd go back to watching the Golf Channel.

That just isn't true.

The tobacco industry doesn't make a penny off of death.

The tobacco industry makes profits off of people smoking.

Once a smoker is dead, that revenue stream is gone to the tobacco industry forever.

I don't live in Michigan, but do you have socialized medicine or for profit medicine?

I was under the impression that Michigan has a for profit health care system, meaning the more disease leads to increase in patients, which thus in turn increases PROFIT, especially if hospitalization and lengthy treatments are involved. CAPITALISM #1

not totally true, which is why for a long time tobacco companies were targeting minors with their advertising.

Though I doubt that would concern you. you strike me as the kind of guy who would sit and watch a toddler sticking a fork in an electrical outlet, and say "I explained to him not to do that several months ago, so he should be aware of the risks. if he dies its his own fault."

then you'd go back to watching the Golf Channel.

so now a toddler putting a fork in an electrical outlet is the same as teenagers buying cigarettes illegally?

Back