Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Front story yahoo news: "Dontini is a fraud"

"The truth was always there to see if you weren’t willfully blind to it—if you weren’t jaded by years of anger at being left behind by “elitist” Michigan neighbors."

Oh boy... sbee & johnny2x are gonna go catatonic when he reads that line.

ouch... this article is just BRUTAL to Dantonio, his staff, MSU, and its fans. Brutal.

I kinda agree with him to some extent, but even I was surprised by how quickly they fell apart. contrary to what he's saying, I don't think it was obvious his program was a fraud. I figured they'd be at worst a 0.500 team under him... being able to still beat the bottom half of the confernce most of the time.

and he seems to make a big deal out of that loss to Illinois. Not sure why though... MSU was already 2-6 by that point, and I remember MSU fans and comentators saying the Michigan game the week before was their last to salvage SOMETHING out of what was probably going to be a losing season (they still had to play OSU & PSU after us).

I can't imagine too many MSU fans are really gonna get worked up over what some random blogger name GoForThree has to say. But let's see if anyone takes your bait this time bunga.

Really, I did post it more for the enjoyment of my fellow Michigan fans here, but I know there are always a few bitter Sparties lurking.

Depends on how you look at the whole "your run is over" stuff. I think any rational MSU fan would tell you it was unrealistic to expect to win 11 games 4 times in a 5 year span and win the Big Ten 3 times in 6 years once OSU got going under Urban and Michigan under Harbaugh. By that measure then yes, it's clear that run is over. I still expect us to be a conference contender every few years and win 7-8 games in a bad year, but another embarrassingly bad season this year and I think you can call Dantonios job into question.

based on everything that has or has not happened since last season ended (ie replacing incompetent coaching staff), seems there's little cause for optimism this fall in East Lansing.

still tough to lose 9 games 2 years in a row, so I don't expect them to be quite that bad again. I guess that's a cause for optimism, in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
based on everything that has or has not happened since last season ended (ie replacing incompetent coaching staff), seems there's little cause for optimism this fall in East Lansing.

The Spartan fans that I still talk to tell me that this was just a blip on the radar. They'll be back to pounding Michigan and winning big 10 titles very soon.

Last edited:
I can't imagine too many MSU fans are really gonna get worked up over what some random blogger name GoForThree has to say. But let's see if anyone takes your bait this time bunga.

agreed. Besides, the article's premise misses one big point - other than a big chunk of the MSU fan base I don't think Dantonio is regarded as an elite coach. Most of the national sports media call him Mike or butcher the pronunciation of his last name. Kinda hard to be a fraud as this article claims when you don't actually have the status the "fraud" is based on. In fact, I bet this is only a "front story on yahoo news" because of Hungry's filters and/or yahoo's algos feeding him B1G content. That headline probably doesn't appear on 99% of sports fans yahoo feeds.

I've consistently argued that he's a good coach but not great and in order to be considered great, he'd have to deliver results when uofm and psu got off their asses. Right now, it's not looking like he'll get there but I think it's more likely that he'll win 8 or 9 games consistently and hopefully contend for the conference title more often than he has losing seasons and if not, then we need to look to replace him.

Last edited:
the article uses the word elite once, but it doesn't argue anyone considered him to be elite. it just says "I guess he thought being elite would be easier."

the way I read it, the fraud isn't that he's not elite; it's that he isn't a good coach. The article says he never was. I think that goes a little too far. He was okay. He was luckier than he was good. he benefitted from the RichRod & Brady Hoke hires, Narduzzi (he has
shown ZERO ability to hire anyone else competent), and also the conference realignments, and some ridiculous in-game luck too.

it's not fair to take away some of his successes, but going 3-9 is just bad; the off field issues are bad, and his staffing decisions (other than Narduzzi) are bad. If he can turn it around this year - go over 0.500 and eliminate the off field distractions and discipline cases - it'll go a long way to salvaging his reputation. based on how the off-season went, I don't see it happening. I think he looks like a guy who realizes his luck has run out, and he's at a loss what to do next.

If I didn't know it was Mork, you'd think he was referring to the president, no...?

"He wheeled into town with his trademark scowl and his bad combover. He strutted around in his ill-fitting suits and his cheap ties tied too long. He spooned out the populist slop that the slobbering masses with their phony victim complex ate up like the finest of tater tot casseroles. He shook hands gleefully with unsavory characters from frozen lands and beamed like the Cheshire cat all the while."

Combover..
Cheap (Chinese made) Ties..
Tied too long..
Spooning out populist slop..
Shook hands with unsavory characters..
Cheshire Cat smile..

Wow, it goes on..

"He hung his hat on fake slights and made mountains out of tent stakes, unable to shrug off even the smallest of insults. He rode his unctuous schtick all the way to the top (misspelling many a word along the way). He had great players, he said. The best players"

"Rumors of collusion with foreign agents abound, but the head man sees nothing wrong with his actions."

"the biggest question is whether MSU fans should be mocked for being taken in by such an obvious huckster, or whether we should seek to reconcile with them—provided they can even see how wrong they were to begin with."

Absolutely intentional

Last edited:
I am baffled as to why we are concerned about this singular strafe-and-run from a pseudonym that sites zero sources. Must be a generational thing. Mine never gave MSU all that much consideration or attention.

I am baffled as to why we are concerned about this singular strafe-and-run from a pseudonym that sites zero sources. Must be a generational thing. Mine never gave MSU all that much consideration or attention.

Agreed. Even now, perhaps because I'm not in Michigan, but I rarely run into state fans/grads aside from my sister and she roots for UM.

Agreed. Even now, perhaps because I'm not in Michigan, but I rarely run into state fans/grads aside from my sister and she roots for UM.

There are a lot here in NC and I look right past them.

There are a lot here in NC and I look right past them.

I'm certain they're here as well ...everybody just moved here. But I don't work with any spartys or have any clients w/MSU degrees.

Anyway a napalm-blog from an OSU guy about an MSU guy should get all the attention from M faithful of a falling leaf onto the Red Cedar in September.

Anyway a napalm-blog from an OSU guy about an MSU guy should get all the attention from M faithful of a falling leaf onto the Red Cedar in September.

Normally I would agree, except:

1) its the offseason

2) there aren't many other threads going right now

3) after all the nonsense we had to read about and listen to from MSU fans and even Dantonio himself from 2007-2016, reading and commenting about this article is fine and reasonable.

Once I saw it was an OSU guy all I could really think was that he must have been suicidal when his guys couldn't beat MSU 2 years ago with everything on the line and Tyler freakin' O'Connor under center. And he's probably been crafting that article in his head ever since then waiting for the right time to spring it.

Back