Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

One and Done Rule

thewolverines24

Adam Silver wants to explore changing this over the course of next season. Hopefully they set up a system where players can leave straight from high school, but if they go to college they stay at least two years. I'd prefer three.

Silver: NBA will reconsider 1-and-done rule next season
https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1311941

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Let the NBA draft these kids and let them remain in college, like college hockey players can. Problem solved.

What is the incentive for the players then to play out their college years? (assuming it is 2 years).

The NBA is not at the whims of the colleges, they basically control what is happening. And I would imagine that if a player is drafted before college or in year 1, why would they even consider playing another season for college knowing there is promised money waiting for them?

For me, the most practical solution is either declare right out of HS, or you are required 2 years in college.

What is the incentive for the players then to play out their college years? (assuming it is 2 years).

The NBA is not at the whims of the colleges, they basically control what is happening. And I would imagine that if a player is drafted before college or in year 1, why would they even consider playing another season for college knowing there is promised money waiting for them?

For me, the most practical solution is either declare right out of HS, or you are required 2 years in college.

I would say the one advantage of the hockey style draft is the constant evaluation you get from your pro team. You aren't worried about draft position anymore, just the feedback you get from your team on if you are truly ready to step into the league and contribute.

You'd still have the incentive to stay in college and develop your game so you're ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA.

Or extend the draft to 15 rounds rather than two.

Last edited:
Let the NBA draft these kids and let them remain in college, like college hockey players can. Problem solved.

I don't see why this would be a problem. If a kid wants to declare for the draft the team that drafts him holds his rights until the kid graduates from college. If he graduates he goes back in the draft...if he doesn't the team that drafts him controls him.

The reason why the rule was changed years ago was too many HS players went into the draft and most of them were not ready..

Last edited:
And the NBA/NCAA came up with something even worse than what was before.

I would actually prefer students being able to declare out of high school. If they can't make a team, that's their fault.

And the NBA/NCAA came up with something even worse than what was before.

I would actually prefer students being able to declare out of high school. If they can't make a team, that's their fault.

They see the money. So not only does it not work out but they missed out on school..

Why not just move it to 2 or 3 years? And no HS. Why would they do both? Is that some kind of compromise? NFL does it, why not here..

NBA Player Association will never agree to it. They didn't even want the one and done rule. Silver is going to have to find a compromise of some sort.

Why not just move it to 2 or 3 years? And no HS. Why would they do both? Is that some kind of compromise? NFL does it, why not here..

I think the NFL does it because of the physical nature of the game....and I think it's valid for the NFL

I think the NFL does it because of the physical nature of the game....and I think it's valid for the NFL

Since so many HS players failed I think it's valid here too.. Most HS players aren't playing with or against talent like the NBA, nor the size..

Last edited:
Since so many HS players failed I think it's valid here too.. Most HS players aren't playing with or against talent like the NBA, nor the size..

high school and college players fail in the NBA, usually not because of size but because they suck

I think they should allow HS to go to the draft....if they suck and don't make the team it's on them.

I think we all agree here... The current rule sucks and there are plenty of better options lol

high school and college players fail in the NBA, usually not because of size but because they suck

I think they should allow HS to go to the draft....if they suck and don't make the team it's on them.

They get drafted because they score 35 points a night against players 5'9" 170 and playing power forward. The size between HS and the NBA is huge.. It does no one any good, the team that wastes a draft pick and the kid who has to resort to working at Burger King.

The system now might suck but it sure beat the last system. It does no one any good to have HS in the draft..

Last edited:
They get drafted because they score 35 points a night against players 5'9" 170 and playing power forward. The size between HS and the NBA is huge.. It does no one any good, the team that wastes a draft pick and the kid who has to resort to working at Burger King.

The system now might suck but it sure beat the last system. It does no one any good to have HS in the draft..

the team doesn't have to draft the player and the kid doesn't have to enter the draft. The point is that both should have the opportunity do so if they wish.

the team doesn't have to draft the player and the kid doesn't have to enter the draft. The point is that both should have the opportunity do so if they wish.

And why should they have a right to enter the draft? But not the NFL dudes in which you said was a good rule? Maybe we should start thinking about the kids and getting them a chance at some schooling.

Right now they fail, kids have no money and go to the streets. Or worse.

Back