Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

One and Done Rule

They have that chance, Mitch.

If they feel they are good enough and don't get drafted, they sure as hell can probably go make a decent living in Europe. And if they want to go to school, they can too.

Last edited:
And why should they have a right to enter the draft? But not the NFL dudes in which you said was a good rule? Maybe we should start thinking about the kids and getting them a chance at some schooling.

Right now they fail, kids have no money and go to the streets. Or worse.

it's a good rule for the NFL because of the extreme physical nature of football. Football is a violent sport so it makes sense to let kids physically develop before competing against full grown men. Basketball isn't physically violent. A 6'6" guard who weighs 190 lbs can succeed at the NBA level.

As far as getting these kids an education...don't fool yourself. Most of these one and done kids attend a few cupcake classes up until basketball is over. They aren't going to college for the education.

it's a good rule for the NFL because of the extreme physical nature of football. Football is a violent sport so it makes sense to let kids physically develop before competing against full grown men. Basketball isn't physically violent. A 6'6" guard who weighs 190 lbs can succeed at the NBA level.

As far as getting these kids an education...don't fool yourself. Most of these one and done kids attend a few cupcake classes up until basketball is over. They aren't going to college for the education.

That's why you get rid of the one and done, any maybe by year 3 they learn something and maybe even stay and get a degree. I don't see why this is a bad thing. And maybe with more college some players realize they're still not ready or will never be.. And focus on something else, a life outside basketball.

The reason why these kids don't care about school is because we don't give them a reason to. We allow them to get drafted at 19.

That's why you get rid of the one and done, any maybe by year 3 they learn something and maybe even stay and get a degree. I don't see why this is a bad thing. And maybe with more college some players realize they're still not ready or will never be.. And focus on something else, a life outside basketball.

The reason why these kids don't care about school is because we don't give them a reason to. We allow them to get drafted at 19.

don't you think it's worse to make someone who doesn't want to go to school go, when they could be making a living. Kids that don't want to go to school...or don't have the intellect to go to college. They shouldn't be forced to play for free if they are good enough for an NBA team to pay them millions.

don't you think it's worse to make someone who doesn't want to go to school go, when they could be making a living. Kids that don't want to go to school...or don't have the intellect to go to college. They shouldn't be forced to play for free if they are good enough for an NBA team to pay them millions.

But these kids aren't making a living and aren't good enough. They get cut after two years, money is all gone and they're on the streets. I'm not making this up.. And they're not playing for free, they get years of room and board. For many kids, better living then they were getting at home..

As far as intellect, everyone has the intellect to go to school.

You mention size for the NFL but shouldn't they have a choice to not being "forced" to go and shouldn't the NFL have a right to draft them?

The vast majority of NCAA athletes never play beyond college and those lucky enough to play at that level, are a small percentage of HS athletes.

With respect to the topic, it's not as if some kid playing for Calipari at UK is thinking about anything other than going Pro - NBA or Europe or China, now too. So they're not 'studying,' they're doing the bare minimum to stay eligible -- taking General Studies courses, tutors, etc.

The difference between a "one and done" and some sort of commitment to the school is based on the approach. If I'm a kid lucky enough to get to play D-1 sports for Michigan (or anywhere), it's as much about the networking as it is the degree. A back up football player who never started one game has an immediate network of eager employers looking to hire this recent college grad.

The kid who one/two and goes and who winds up "in the streets" sees college as a means to the end of being a Pro, not the means to an end of having a career.

It's about the next 40yrs, not the next 4 .. Isn't that how that goes?

Basketball, let them go right after HS. If they do go to a university, then they can declare after any year...if it's up to me.

If they go pro out of hs and fail, it's on them, then they have to act like the other 99% of people and either pay their own way or just get a job...booo hooo !!!

Basketball, let them go right after HS. If they do go to a university, then they can declare after any year...if it's up to me.

If they go pro out of hs and fail, it's on them, then they have to act like the other 99% of people and either pay their own way or just get a job...booo hooo !!!

But if it's your son I doubt you say "It's on them, boo hoo."

But if it's your son I doubt you say "It's on them, boo hoo."

I would tell my son to go play in d1 and get a 4 year degree, then go pro. Then if he didn't make it, I'd say..."it's on you...don't cry"

I most certainly would say, "it's on them, boo hoo" if he disregarded my advice and tried to go pro out of hs.

It's his life not mine. I made my mistakes, he would make his. I certainly would not change my mind if it was my own son.

I think the current system is ruining both the NBA and the NCAA. At least, if they changed it to them being able to go right out of hs, it'd only ruin the NBA.

AND no, it wouldn't ruin that kid's life. He could just go out and make it on his own, like we all had to.

I think the current system is ruining both the NBA and the NCAA. At least, if they changed it to them being able to go right out of hs, it'd only ruin the NBA.

AND no, it wouldn't ruin that kid's life. He could just go out and make it on his own, like we all had to.

The only difference for most of is we weren't dirt poor and destined to go to jail or worse if not for basketball.. I'm just a big proponent of getting a degree especially when it's paid for.

Actually I think it'd still ruin the NCAA - less talent. It stinks when they leave after a year but not even being their a year..

Nonetheless, just an opinion that I didn't expect anyone to agree with.

so unless these kids played basketball, they'd end up in jail or prison. What kind of life is that? The only way to succeed for these poor kids is to play in the NBA? i'm not buying it.

Sure is a good thing I didn't end up in prison, I guess. I mean, I had to work my way through college, get loans, get a crap job out of college and pay them all back. What a horrible way to live life.

Come on, man. This isn't real. Plenty of those "kids" can succeed without the NBA. A lot of these kids that play college ball and leave early to go to the NBA have parents that could afford to send them to college. You act like NCAA basketball is just full of all these poor people that would have no way to succeed without basketball. That isn't reality.

Even IF your crazy scenario is real, in my scenario, they still have a full ride scholarship to plenty of universities and a degree would really come in handy if one day basketball isn't an option.

Last edited:
I'm not wild about the one and done rule, but am in favor of leaving it the way it is. I don't think the Player's Association would agree to 2 years and not being able to be drafted out of HS, and I'm not sure they should. Could you imagine Lebron or Kobe as sophomores in college? If you make it that you can either leave out of HS or stay two years, I guarantee every McDonald's AA is declaring out of HS, and then college b-ball will really suck.

I actually wish the NFL should relax their rule to 2 years. Kids are showing up out of HS much more physically developed than in the past. And then the Marcus Lattimore's of the world don't have injuries in their junior years that prevent them from ever making it when they were good enough to have already been a pro.

Back